• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KSUR 1260

oldies76

Star Participant
Are there any plans to increase the signal strength for 1260 and at this time what is the max range for this station, day or night. Really enjoying this programming of mainly 1960's classics with a touch of 50's and early 70's. A truly great sound for Los Angeles that's been missing for a long, long time! Last I checked, they are at 0.5 for May 2017, up from 0.3 in April. Saul Levine has done L.A. a great service by returning this type of music to the Southern California airwaves again. (well Los Angeles for starters, that's why I'm curious of a signal increase anytime soon). I can't see it going away considering what else is out there for older listeners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any plans to increase the signal strength for 1260 and at this time what is the max range for this station, day or night. Really enjoying this programming of mainly 1960's classics with a touch of 50's and early 70's. A truly great sound for Los Angeles that's been missing for a long, long time! Last I checked, they are at 0.5 for May 2017, up from 0.3 in April. Saul Levine has done L.A. a great service by returning this type of music to the Southern California airwaves again. (well Los Angeles for starters, that's why I'm curious of a signal increase anytime soon). I can't see it going away considering what else is out there for older listeners.

The true usable daytime coverage is about 30% inside the innermost red curve on https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KSUR-AM&h=D

There is no way they can increase more. They already are tight with 1280 in Long Beach and 1230 in LA, as well as some issues with 1250 in Santa Barbara, and even 1270 in the Coachella Valley.

At night, they are totally locked in.

As to ratings, in the weekly reports, they are anywhere from a 0.2 to a 0.6 in 12+, and always wobbling. If they have two weeks at the high side, they get a good monthly book. In any case, in the PPM world, all those numbers are the same statistically. They won't get any agency buys at that level, so it's all about non-ratings-driven local sales.

Oldies76: At 20,000 watts daytime and 7,500 night, KSUR is pretty well maxed out. Time was 5,000 watts was the limit for a station at 1260 on the dial.

As fpr range, a lot of the usable signal goes out over the Pacific. 605 Freeway is probably as far east as a noise-free signal goes...Topanga and Malibu to the west.

The ratings (especially in demos) aren't likely to ever generate agency business, and I'm not sure how well Saul's people sell local direct. But Saul's been down that road before, with the numerous attempts at Standards. He is the savior of lost formats (Country, Jazz, Classical, Standards and now Oldies). With Standards now really a 90+ format, Oldies is (grading on a really big curve here) more viable. He probably sticks with it as long as the station stays in the family. If it ever sells, though, it'd probably go ethnic or religion.

(EDIT: When I started writing this, David Eduardo hadn't posted yet)

Thank you guys.....Just curious since I'll be in that area soon and gonna be taking a road trip on (Hwy 2) Angeles Crest Hwy from Wrightwood to Dodger Stadium. I hope I can catch the signal elevated in the mountains, at least in the LA county portion descending into the basin.

Thank you guys.....Just curious since I'll be in that area soon and gonna be taking a road trip on (Hwy 2) Angeles Crest Hwy from Wrightwood to Dodger Stadium. I hope I can catch the signal elevated in the mountains, at least in the LA county portion descending into the basin.

You'll probably be fine once you get out from behind San Gabriel Peak. The signal from La Canada down to Dodger Stadium should be solid.

K-Surf 1260, just announced they are bringing back Disco Saturday Night, 7pm to midnight. This is something that KBIG 104 used to air, way back in the 1990's!

Also wondering though, will this be an abrupt change to their existing format of mainly 50's and 60's music? Something worth tuning into this Saturday Night. Maybe this may signal a trend of bringing back older radio specials from local legendary stations on KSUR.

Drop the loop, grab your cell for AM 1260

TuneIn radio has them (AM 1260 KSURF) in stereo and, if you can get a signal, you can probably pick them up much better than from AM (MW) and without static.

The separation is a bit stressed out but much better than XM radio.

Thanks for the notice that they're on Tune In Radio.... Buffering quite a bit today but OK I'll live with that. Interesting that they just went from the 1961 (?) instrumental Bob Moore's "Mexico" into .... "I Got a Line On You"-Spirit. I like both songs but curious playing them back to back and the Spirit song was not really much of a Top 40 hit as I remember. Still hear that track every now and then on adult alternative stations. Also the separation of artists hmmmm 2 Supremes songs within 10 minutes?

Thanks for the notice that they're on Tune In Radio.... Buffering quite a bit today but OK I'll live with that. Interesting that they just went from the 1961 (?) instrumental Bob Moore's "Mexico" into .... "I Got a Line On You"-Spirit. I like both songs but curious playing them back to back and the Spirit song was not really much of a Top 40 hit as I remember. Still hear that track every now and then on adult alternative stations. Also the separation of artists hmmmm 2 Supremes songs within 10 minutes?

SuperRadioFan: "I Got A Line On You" peaked at #25 in Billboard (which means on its best week, there were 24 bigger records), but it made #2 at KHJ. If that still matters 48 years later.

We need to be honest about what KSUR is and isn't.

This is a computer server loaded up with music that feeds an AM signal and an FM HD channel. It is not terribly carefully programmed. Neither was the "Unforgettables" format that preceded it. Trainwrecks and artist separation issues are a given.

I've never met Saul or Michael Levine. Michael is a guy who grew up in Los Angeles and in radio, as Saul's son. He's shown that he is himself a good PD, piloting KKGO to success in a notoriously unfriendly market for Country. That's where the time and energy go, and rightfully so.

No more than three by an artist per hour, per the DMCA, right? Or is that rule only for internet and satellite radio only, not terrestrial broadcasters that also stream?

KLOS used to play seven full albums in a row on Sunday afternoons on "The Seventh Day" hosted by Joe Benson. They still play two hours of Beatles and solo Beatles music every Sunday morning. I believe the Sound is still playing an album side every weeknight as well.

Interesting to me that all the songs I saw on their music log were pre-1972.

Except since 7pm today thru midnight, it's all disco classics, their first Saturday night at this.

Also wondering though, will this be an abrupt change to their existing format of mainly 50's and 60's music? Something worth tuning into this Saturday Night. Maybe this may signal a trend of bringing back older radio specials from local legendary stations on KSUR.

How abrupt is the change if nobody is listening?

That is radio's worst daypart, and for AM it is even lower in usage. 1260 seems not to even show in the daypart.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom