• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL Playlist

I looked at a couple of random 80's boos as and the statement that you base your assumptions on is not really true.

1982. WCAU FM was tied with WMMR in 18-49 and way ahead in 25-54. An in women, they dominated.

In the mid-80's WMMR was dominant, and WCAU had fallen but there was also a fragmentation of CHR shares with a second competitor.

By the later 80's WEGX had gained enormous traction under Malrite and was beating WMMR in the Female demos and was a serious overall contender.

While, for the decade, WMMR was a big station, it was a ten-share big station and 90% of listening was not to them. Saying that a classic hits station shoul emulate their playlist is suggesting they should change to classic rock, a niche already occupied. CHR stations have generall y been huge cume machines with shorter TSL... so the music they played was more widely exposed.

So CHR music was definitely familiar, as those stations were always huge comers, while 'MMR was more of a. TSL play.

The reason PHX stations don't play the local "hits" is that back then the market was less than 2 million and now it is over 4 million an at least half the people are not natives or were not there in the pertinent 80's years.

"Flow" affects TSL, not cume. Cume is driven by format and general playlist feel as well as talent, promotion, etc.

In general, Sunbelt markets will have a lot of growth and migration, so the playlists will not have much local feel. Low or no-growth markets will be able to localize as the population is stable.

I attempted to counter the argument you made here before you made it as I seen it coming, maybe I wasn't clear enough. What they are doing now is about cume, I'm saying that you don't need to lose any cume by carefully adding in market appropriate hits along side the tried and true. In effect you can keep the cume as it is, high, but create longer time spent listening and more instances of listening as well. I'm saying you need to add a pinch of salt to your stew for flavor, that should not be interpreted as me saying dump the whole box of salt into the stew and remove the beef.

It seems logical that NYC's classic hits station should lean a bit more rhythmic based on market history while Philly should lean more rock based on its history. I'm not talking about changing to classic rock, WMGK does that really well already, Classic Hits station are first and foremost mass appeal, it should be the hits and that will be a variation of sounds, but the slight leans make a difference and those should be based upon knowing the market and playing to that market. Also, those regional hits are obviously not going to get any type of top rotation, that's suicide as obviously markets change over time but you can spike a few regional hits for flavor and create a passion for your station that you just won't get by a 24/7 safe and mundane playlist.

I feel like part of the reason why WOGL may skew older and more rhythmic is because of the presence of Ben FM, which NYC does not have an equivalent of. They feature a lot of the mainstream '80s rock that stations like WCBS-FM lean heavily on. WMGK and WMMR also feature a fair amount of that music, and NYC does not have an equivalent of the latter station either. So with '80s rock being superserved elsewhere, there may be an impetus for WOGL to carve out more of a niche for itself.

I feel like part of the reason why WOGL may skew older and more rhythmic is because of the presence of Ben FM, which NYC does not have an equivalent of. They feature a lot of the mainstream '80s rock that stations like WCBS-FM lean heavily on. WMGK and WMMR also feature a fair amount of that music, and NYC does not have an equivalent of the latter station either. So with '80s rock being superserved elsewhere, there may be an impetus for WOGL to carve out more of a niche for itself.

That's a great point! I forget about Ben-fm, that certainly factors into the WOGL playlist. I actually think holding onto some of the old 60s songs is smart. Take a 35 year old female. Do you think she would rather listen to build me up buttercup, brown eyed girl, respect from the 60s, or say Bakerstreet from 1978? Yup, those 60s songs are more mass appeal to the youngest demos WOGL has a chance play at then most of their songs that are 15 20 years newer on paper. They should certainly be just the best of the best and limited in their spins considerably(once ever 90 minutes/2hrs) but totally abandoning them seems like a mistake.

I just think that is correct that say pre 1980 Philly was a rhythmic market, but post 1980 I think it is more of a rock market so as you go newer with the mix I think that should be taken into account, but yeah also Ben-fm also needs to be considered.

I attempted to counter the argument you made here before you made it as I seen it coming, maybe I wasn't clear enough. What they are doing now is about cume, I'm saying that you don't need to lose any cume by carefully adding in market appropriate hits along side the tried and true. In effect you can keep the cume as it is, high, but create longer time spent listening and more instances of listening as well. I'm saying you need to add a pinch of salt to your stew for flavor, that should not be interpreted as me saying dump the whole box of salt into the stew and remove the beef.

It seems logical that NYC's classic hits station should lean a bit more rhythmic based on market history while Philly should lean more rock based on its history. I'm not talking about changing to classic rock, WMGK does that really well already, Classic Hits station are first and foremost mass appeal, it should be the hits and that will be a variation of sounds, but the slight leans make a difference and those should be based upon knowing the market and playing to that market. Also, those regional hits are obviously not going to get any type of top rotation, that's suicide as obviously markets change over time but you can spike a few regional hits for flavor and create a passion for your station that you just won't get by a 24/7 safe and mundane playlist.

Why would we doubt that they carefully test the music with the target audience? They're well aware of the history of the market, but also the demographics today--and what has changed over that time. People have moved in and out of the market, tastes evolve. They are playing to the market, but the market in 2017 is not entirely dependent on what the market was in 1977 or 1987.

This could be the case...but Ben FM also plays a lot 80s pop and rhythmic 80s as well, so I think its just that WOGL has also skewed R&B for the past 30 years. When the station was Hot Hits 98 WCAU-FM they played both. I think if WOGL played more 80s rock and also played some rhythmic 80s and also pop 80s, they would dominate...but no one will know unless they give it a shot.

Aren't they dominating now?

Pretty much. Which is why I think this Ben focus is missing the mark. Ben has been around for, what, about 10 years give or take, WOGL for 30. And yes, today's WOGL is WCAU reincarnated when compared to the WOGL circa 1987, but that's pretty much the point. They've moved their music forward, even when they had company in the space--they didn't shy away from the '70s when WSNI was boggie-ing it up with a heavy dose of 70s (and 101 hadn't yet shed the 70s either, for that matter). WBEB plays a good amount of 80s tunes--it's not just Ben. Heck, their own sister station has a nice slice of 80s music too.

As to "no one will know," well, that's not entirely an accurate sentiment. They have research, lots and lots of it, that tells them what can reasonably be expected to do well with their target in this market, and what might not. This is not a business where you try something just to find out, without a lot of research in advance showing you why the risk is worth it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom