• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

W235CJ (270) Is On The Air

Ai4i

Star Participant
Correction, the all-new W270CD!
And they sound a LOT better than WOCN.

Last edited:
Hablar en Español y no WWW punto

...Didn't someone pull down their tower with a truck back in the day because they were airing left-leaning programming?
I do not know, but one or more of WRHC's old three-tower nighttime array towers came down either due to a hurricane or by vandalism.
Many years before that, WEDR (99.1) aired progressive rock and "The World Tomorrow" to very different audiences and had to replace a section of cable with a bullet hole in it,
and WWOK (1260) and WIGL (107½) suffered a fire at their transmitter site building shortly after switching from a country music format to various Spanish-language ones.

Last edited:
ah, ok. Didn't someone pull down their tower with a truck back in the day because they were airing left leaning programming?

The opposite. One of the towers was allegedly pulled down due to the virulently anti-Castro programming of WRHC.

and WWOK (1260) and WIGL (107½) suffered a fire at their transmitter site shortly after switching from a country music format to various Spanish-language ones.

It was WHTT-1260 and WQBA-FM that were burnt down in early 1982. While at first it was thought that the attack was due to the 1980 format change of WWOK from country to Spanish hits, it was later determined that the cause was a mistaken identification of the site. The attackers were after Anti-Castro WQBA AM, and mistakenly burnt down the transmitter of the FM.

In any case, WJOK had changed format almost 4 years before when it was sold to Susquehanna. Metroplex, who bought WWOK, ran it as country for several years before deciding to go to a Spanish language format (and hire me out of PR).

...it was later determined that the cause was a mistaken identification of the site.
When I babysat WRHC's offshore transmitter site and the CE floated by one day,
he was furious that I stuck a WRHC bumper sticker on a door.
(I guess he might have had good reason to be)

It was WHTT-1260 and WQBA-FM that were burnt down in early 1982. While at first it was thought that the attack was due to the 1980 format change of WWOK from country to Spanish hits, it was later determined that the cause was a mistaken identification of the site. The attackers were after Anti-Castro WQBA AM, and mistakenly burnt down the transmitter of the FM.

In any case, WJOK had changed format almost 4 years before when it was sold to Susquehanna. Metroplex, who bought WWOK, ran it as country for several years before deciding to go to a Spanish language format (and hire me out of PR).

Arson, sabotage, the night angry listeners all but showed up with torches and pitchforks at the studios of WGMA when they dropped the country format, radio history in South Florida certainly isn't boring!

...radio history in South Florida certainly isn't boring!
Remind me not to change a station's format from country music to chanting the Qur'an in Hebrew or Arabic or any of those middle eastern languages.

I was going to begin a new thread, but extending this one should suffice.
Now that they have been active for more than a month,
Should (and how should) WOCN be blown up?

(blowing up is a broadcasting term which means to radically change a format, NOT to radically use an explosive device, we are not suggesting any criminal activity)

I have been enjoying the music on this translator, but...
WEXI and WOIB seem to have swapped frequencies,
with 101.9 in Hallandale and 102.3 somewhere else.
This is definitely an undocumented change of facilities.
👎

Correction again, that is W270CV.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom