• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it hot where you are?

The first time Phoenix hit 122, I was up on the roof of The Wigwam Resort hanging a Yagi to test a Marti shot back to KYOT for a Jazz Brunch the following Sunday.

I was thankful that the hotel gave me gloves for climbing the ladder and I probably drank a gallon of water after I got back down.

I think I like the blast furnace days better than the monsoon ones. It seems like the monsoon storms happen later at night now that the city has built out so much. They used to come in like clockwork at 5 in the afternoon.

Be thankful they no longer show at 5 anymore. Imagine the motley crew of freeway drivers we have now and add 5 p.m. monsoon storms on top of that . But you can still bank of the 2-3:00 p.m. shower in Prescott.

Be thankful they no longer show at 5 anymore. Imagine the motley crew of freeway drivers we have now and add 5 p.m. monsoon storms on top of that.

What's taken the place of 5pm gully washers are Haboobs - blowing dust, mobile homes, and backfill dirt from new home construction in Casa Grande. Pull over, turn off your lights, and get your foot off the brake - you're sure to be rear ended by some nitwit who thinks he's still on I-10. Us pedos viejos still think of Liz (XX#!%!!) Habib whenever a Haboob is mentioned.

What's taken the place of 5pm gully washers are Haboobs - blowing dust, mobile homes, and backfill dirt from new home construction in Casa Grande.

Somehow "Haboob Magnet" is not as evocative as "Tornado Magnet".

(It actually sounds more like a weird ad for Bourbon Street on Thomas...)

(It actually sounds more like a weird ad for Bourbon Street on Thomas...)

Oh, please elaborate on the haboobs you have sighted at Bourbon Street. Inquiring fezzes, and darned near all this board, want to know more!

Last edited:
Oh, please elaborate on the haboobs you have sighted at Bourbon Street. Inquiring fezzes, and darned near all this board, want to know more!

Of course, I have no up front knowledge of those sightings, but I have heard at least a good pair of reports that the haboobs run rampant at that location.

I am reminded that the translation to English of "haboob" runs something like this:

"haboob. noun. A violent and and oppressive wind blowing in summer, bringing sand from the desert. Origin. Late 19th century: from Arabic habūb 'blowing furiously'."

If I reveal any more, I would have to delete my own post and then take a job as a lamptimer.

Last edited:
Us pedos viejos still think of Liz (XX#!%!!) Habib whenever a Haboob is mentioned.

A dust storm doesn't become a Haboob until one can hear, as a faint echo within the blowing winds and dust, "YOU KNOW WHO THE @#$& I AM!!!!" :D

The cancelled AA flights affect only those on the small sub-carrier aircraft and only departing flights between 3-6 PM.

If I reveal any more, I would have to delete my own post and then take a job as a lamptimer.

Installed in the equipment rack at Lumberyard 14~Forty, thus prompting comments such as "..nice rack.." by those passing by.

The cancelled AA flights affect only those on the small sub-carrier aircraft and only departing flights between 3-6 PM.

Yes you are right, actually flew on a Mesa Jet once out of Laughlin. When that airport was built there was concern about larger planes landing because of the heat. You must admit though if the threshold is 126 or 127 degrees on larger planes, and today was projected to be 127 in Needles/Laughlin/Phoenix that is pushing it a little?

Installed in the equipment rack at Lumberyard 14~Forty, thus prompting comments such as "..nice rack.." by those passing by.

You win!

Yes you are right, actually flew on a Mesa Jet once out of Laughlin. When that airport was built there was concern about larger planes landing because of the heat. You must admit though if the threshold is 126 or 127 degrees on larger planes, and today was projected to be 127 in Needles/Laughlin/Phoenix that is pushing it a little?

Actually landing at high temps is not a problem....it's taking off. Because the air is hot and dry it lacks the density some aircraft require to become airborne. The regional jets used by American (and others) have such an issue. The larger commercial jets (Boeing & Airbus) don't...to a certain temperature. Now if runways were five miles long, it may not be an issue unless the aircraft goes into ground effect which allows the plane to lift off the ground, but not gain a positive rate of climb. They become hovercraft.

For a more detailed analysis of the subject, please enroll in Aeronautics 101 & Cartridge Machine Maintenance at the Buckeye Media Hut. Just tell the operator you want the dense instructor and Nurse Jeff will help you out.

Last edited:
Actually landing at high temps is not a problem....it's taking off. Because the air is hot and dry it lacks the density some aircraft require to become airborne. The regional jets used by American (and others) have such an issue. The larger commercial jets (Boeing & Airbus) don't...to a certain temperature. Now if runways were five miles long, it may not be an issue unless the aircraft goes into ground effect which allows the plane to lift off the ground, but not gain a positive rate of climb. They become hovercraft.

For a more detailed analysis of the subject, please enroll in Aeronautics 101 & Cartridge Machine Maintenance at the Buckeye Media Hut. Just tell the operator you want the dense instructor and Nurse Jeff will help you out.
Do you take the Diners Card though, my only charge plate left. I was always under the understanding the landing gear tire is subject to blowing at such high heat which I now know not to be true. Thank you Doc!

The extreme heat must have gotten to those Goldminers at the Lumberyard as 92.7 K224CJ-FM is currently off the air. So for those of us without HD radios in our car, we have to resort back to listening to Bang 545 on good ol' Ancient Modulation at 1440 AM!

I think boarding and waiting on the tarmac would be pure torture. My cars have excellent A/C so I stay on the ground as much as possible.

In other news, which may or may not be related, is your Internet acting up in this heat? Mine was all sorts of crazy yesterday and very slow!

Do you take the Diners Card though, my only charge plate left. I was always under the understanding the landing gear tire is subject to blowing at such high heat which I now know not to be true. Thank you Doc!

Hot has it right. High density is good.....unless your pilot has it.

94 degrees here at Colorado Springs, but that's at 6000'. We are getting an extension of your desert furnace! Currently 118 in Needles!

Yes indeedy, tires can blow chunks ...but usually from centrifugal force or panic stops.

As far as Diners Club cards...yes indeedy as well! We even accept Woolco, Montgomery Ward, Diamond's and Amoco credit cards. As long as you know how to clean the latrines out back of the Media Hut, your credit is good!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom