• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is it hot where you are?

DrAkbar

Star Participant
Yes indeedy, local TV reporters will be swooning this weekend as it's going to be hot, and getting hotter into the new week. Breathlessly they'll be showing us how to cook an egg on the sidewalk; footage of a digital display of the temperature outside a local bank, and little tykes swimming in urine contaminated public pools. Here at the Buckeye Media Hut, we've cancelled classes for the first three days of the coming week. Not because we're concerned about our students, but the damn APS bill is playing havoc with our margins! And to the west, Nurse Jeff and I are concerned for the well being of Palm Springs resident radio raconteur, the Old Gringo. We hope he's close to a nearby Circle K and can stock his Frigidaire with plenty of Polar Pops!

Last edited:
Yes indeedy, local TV reporters will be swooning this weekend as it's going to be hot, and getting hotter into the new week. Breathlessly they'll be showing us how to cook an egg on the sidewalk; footage of a digital display of the temperature outside a local bank, and little tykes swimming in urine contaminated public pools.

Gee, those are the same stories Dewey Hopper did back in about 1974. They should just record a few and run them every year.

Or on air: "Kay-Arr-Eye-Zeeeee with Sebastian Stone where the temperature just hit a hundred and ten. I could record that and play it every day for the next three months... and I'm Hooked on a Feeling. Its' Blue Suede on K-R-I-Z (hitting the post over the "oogas")."

Here at the Buckeye Media Hut, we've cancelled classes for the first three days of the coming week. Not because we're concerned about our students, but the damn APS bill is playing havoc with our margins! And to the west, Nurse Jeff and I are concerned for the well being of Palm Springs resident radio raconteur, the Old Gringo. We hope he's close to a nearby Circle K and can stock his Frigidaire with plenty of Polar Pops!

The Coachella Valley is cool by comparison... at least 2° lower than Sky Harbor.

Which reminds me: you forgot the obligatory TV stories about how hard it is for airplanes to take off when it is 120° in the shade (Shade? In the desert? We don't got no frikkin' shade!).

Also required: reminders to the residents at Sun City and the like that prolonged exposure to oven-like heat can make you croak. For the next week, no sitting on the stoop in front of the house watching the ambulance races.

Which reminds me: you forgot the obligatory TV stories about how hard it is for airplanes to take off when it is 120° in the shade (Shade? In the desert? We don't got no frikkin' shade!).

It's-a no joke! Wifey's airline (a beeg juan) has already cancelled their commuter plane flights for early next week. They cannot operate in temps of 115 or higher.

Which is sometimes the case even late at night.

But it's a DRY heat.

During July 2003 the highest overnight temp was reached in Phoenix - 96F but I clearly remember a night in the early 70's when our 10PM flight was delayed because it was still 109 outside (traveling on a DC-9).

It is a dry heat though. 12% RH right now (just after noon) and it may get down to 4-5% later in the day. You can send sparks flying by walking barefoot across a rug (it really irritates the wifey).

During July 2003 the highest overnight temp was reached in Phoenix - 96F but I clearly remember a night in the early 70's when our 10PM flight was delayed because it was still 109 outside (traveling on a DC-9).

Try driving a '76 Gremlin in this heat. If the vapor lock doesn't stall you out, running the A/C all the time will.

Didn't know they came with AC. That must have been an add-on. Yikes!

Yeah, that's what those cranks on the inside of the doors are for. It's called "Four and Forty A/C". Four windows down and forty miles per hour.

Yeah, that's what those cranks on the inside of the doors are for. It's called "Four and Forty A/C". Four windows down and forty miles per hour.

Actually, the rear windows don't roll down...they push out (if you got that option). Some may find it hard to believe, but the Gremlin was sketched out on an air sickness bag by AMC's design chief. YIKES!

Last edited:
Actually, the rear windows don't roll down...they push out (if you got that option). Some may find it hard to believe, but the Gremlin was sketched out on an airsickness bag by AMC's design chief. YIKES!

Keyword: sickness.

Chamber of Commerce weather, no doubt!

Let's see how they describe the projected 122° for Tuesday!

(And folks wonder why half the residents go away for the summer! Actually, it is because of CA taxes, not the heat.)

Let's see how they describe the projected 122° for Tuesday!

(And folks wonder why half the residents go away for the summer! Actually, it is because of CA taxes, not the heat.)

But they're dry taxes!

One of the biggest reasons the Valley's population has exploded is the self Californication of the Golden State. Still rather the Media Hut be in Buckeye than that armpit called Blythe. It's hot here and there, but we Zonies are far cooler.

But they're dry taxes!

One of the biggest reasons the Valley's population has exploded is the self Californication of the Golden State. Still rather the Media Hut be in Buckeye than that armpit called Blythe. It's hot here and there, but we Zonies are far cooler.

I was told by a guy who once worked at KYOR in Blythe that, should the planet need an enema, Blythe would be the insertion point.

I was told by a guy who once worked at KYOR in Blythe that, should the planet need an enema, Blythe would be the insertion point.

I once asked a guy why he lived there and he responded "the river!" Can't argue that one.

Also, Blythe is the Gateway to the Glamis Sand Dunes. Non-stop recreation on land and water. Just don't breathe the air borne insecticides.

Just don't breathe the air borne insecticides.

...or swim in the river. Those insecticides fall to the ground and run off into the Colorado River. Folks in Ehrenberg, AZ have a great view of the duly noted insertion point to the west!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom