• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

TV content ratings that are inaccurate?

About the only "naughty" humor on Laugh-In was when Dan Rowan would toss Dick Martin a suggestive lead-in about his date "the night before". It never went much further than that. There was a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor but I would not have classified it as "naughty". Even the bikini shots were "tasteful".

Yeah - well this was the era in which Barbara Eden had to cover her navel, for I Dream of Jeannie, per the NBC censors. There would be chuckling among dirty-minded boys like myself in school on Tuesday (Laugh-In was Monday night, IIRC) - along the lines of what "sock it to me" could have meant - what a "bippy" was, etc. But you're right, any 'naughtiness' on the show was implied, but never blatant.

Rock music is given a TV-PG while country music gets a TV-G. Let's see here if I were a pop singer and I go the Disney Channel and sing stupid stuff but not offensive it gets a TV-PG but if I were a country music singer and sing about beating my wife and drinking beer THAT is a TV-G ??? That is messed up.

When was this? Rock is usually TV-14 and country TV-PG. Country hasn't been G-rated in several years.

Definitely agreed. While some (not all) rock is abut sex and drugs, some of the same people who condemn it will accept the drinkin' and cheatin' songs in country. There's a definite double standard when it comes to country vs. rock.

Last edited:
Nothing shocks nor offends me anymore. I don't need no stinkin' ratings. Do any other countries use a rating system for TV and movies? Why are Americans so afraid of what is normal in other parts of the world?

Nothing shocks nor offends me anymore. I don't need no stinkin' ratings. Do any other countries use a rating system for TV and movies? Why are Americans so afraid of what is normal in other parts of the world?
Other countries have movie rating systems.

I have been watching "Hooten & the Lady", a British adventure show that airs on The CW. A couple of words seem to get bleeped out on The CW, so I'm guessing Britain allows certain words we don't.

As for TV ratings, YouTube often has episodes of the Canadian medical drama "Saving Hope" airing just as they did on CTV except without the commercials, with the ads for CTV shows at the bottom of the screen occasionally (most of the CTV shows are imports from the U.S.). It aired for a season on NBC in the U.S. and then came back years later on Ion. There is a "14+" inside a symbol which might be a maple leaf in the upper left corner at the start of the episode.

Then again, country is typically aimed at a more adult audience. That certainly was the case in the 60s and 70s.

This and the country stars from the past were for the most part "pure" so the public bought. They sing their songs, do tours AND they worship Jesus on Sunday morning and a lot of people believe it but I think Urban Cowboy changed that. The partying, drinking beer and lots of it and whatever. When Garth Brooks hooked up with Trisha Yearwood that was the icing on the cake. When ALABAMA had the song "When We Make Love" it was accepted but I hate to think if Van Halen heck even Hall & Oates had that song but OK for Alabama.

When ALABAMA had the song "When We Make Love" it was accepted but I hate to think if Van Halen heck even Hall & Oates had that song but OK for Alabama.

Because when Alabama sings that song, it's about his wife. Rock & Roll is SUPPOSED to be dirty. That's why radio stations only played it after dark in the 50s.

You mentioned Urban Cowboy...I just finished Johnny Lee's book, about "Lookin' For Love in All the Wrong Places," and he did all kinds of bad things. Plus he was married to Charlene Tilden at the height of her fame in Dallas.

Rock & Roll is SUPPOSED to be dirty. That's why radio stations only played it after dark in the 50s.

Not "whitebread" RnR in the 50's. Some of the R&B stuff was dirty but not explicit. Like the Mama's & Papa's suggested: you had to lay it between the lines. Similar to drug references in the 60's. Most adults back then would not know what was being sung unless they understood street language.

When I was a teenager in the mid/late 50's after dark RnR was when the DJ's took dedications and the primary audience was.....people of my age.

Not "whitebread" RnR in the 50's.

Of course not. But when Pat Boone was singing about finding his thrill, it was not as dirty as when Fats Domino sang it. Same with Big Mama Thornton and Elvis Presley.

When I was a teenager in the mid/late 50's after dark RnR was when the DJ's took dedications and the primary audience was.....people of my age.

Exactly, and the funny thing is if you listen to CHR and country radio now, it hasn't changed. And the audience is late teens.

Huh? Please explain.

I'm curious, too. Brooks and his wife divorced because he had fallen in love with Yearwood, whom he'd known since arriving in Nashville. It certainly wasn't the first highly publicized such occurrence. Several years earlier, Vince Gill left his wife for Amy Grant, which caused much more of a stir in Christian contemporary circles than it did in country.

Brooks and his wife divorced because he had fallen in love with Yearwood,

The timing of it all is very interesting. Garth announced the divorce two weeks before he retired from the music business in 2000. The divorce became final the next year. He married Trisha Yearwood in 2006 while he was retired. So his marital issues, whatever they were, didn't take place when he was an active artist. Part of the reason he retired was to spend more time with his kids as a single parent.

Of course not. But when Pat Boone was singing about finding his thrill, it was not as dirty as when Fats Domino sang it. Same with Big Mama Thornton and Elvis Presley.

I never thought Fats songs were "dirty" and certainly don't remember any parent of the day putting the kabosh on Fats as an artist. From the mid to late 50's he was one of the more popular Black artists among my peers. Pat Boone had a few pop hits but he wasn't nearly as popular as Fats was even though he had a great voice.

Exactly, and the funny thing is if you listen to CHR and country radio now, it hasn't changed. And the audience is late teens.

It might be different in Jasper Junction but I don't know of one single "late teen" that listens to the radio now. I know none of my five kids do (of course they are now in their 20's and 30's so not teens any longer either).

It might be different in Jasper Junction but I don't know of one single "late teen" that listens to the radio now.

In your own market, depending on the month (PHX radio usage varies to some extent due to climate extremes), anywhere from 92% to 85% of teens use radio weekly. The average listening is 6 to 7 hours per week, or about an hour daily.

That´s Jan to July from this year.

It might be different in Jasper Junction but I don't know of one single "late teen" that listens to the radio now. I know none of my five kids do (of course they are now in their 20's and 30's so not teens any longer either).

We've had this discussion before. Regardless of your personal experience, in the city of Phoenix, a lot of teens listen to the radio. They not only listen, but they are ACTIVE listeners, which means they're members of the radio station's loyal listener club, and take part in radio station activities and occasional remotes at concerts and other events. This is not to say they don't also stream music from the internet. But it's not their only source for music. You may not know any of them, but they listen.

Back on topic.

Last night Michael Strahan objected to something that was said, saying "Pyramid" was a family show. He must not have been aware of the TV-14 rating.

And yet a certain word was used, one of the words the celebrity had to guess based on the other person's clues, which were quite naughty and made Strahan react strangely. The rating last night was TV-14-L, but I really don't think anything was so bad it couldn't have been TV-PG-L.

Next time Government approaches you and says they want to be your partner, try telling them no. See how that goes over.

That doesn't really address the issue.

Look, all of these things are voluntary. Including the viewing of objectionable content on TV. But some people feel they have to sue TV stations over content, even if they themselves didn't see it. That's the world we live in. We have Christian family values groups who insist that TV only show family content, children be protected in advance, and they went to the government for that. How do you handle that?

I'm curious, too. Brooks and his wife divorced because he had fallen in love with Yearwood, whom he'd known since arriving in Nashville. It certainly wasn't the first highly publicized such occurrence. Several years earlier, Vince Gill left his wife for Amy Grant, which caused much more of a stir in Christian contemporary circles than it did in country.

And Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton - just recently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom