• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Other May rating rantings

secondchoice

Star Participant
Not wanting to hijack an existing thread, if you look at WBZY’s ratings, what are 100.1 and 102.3’s ratings? Hispanics are around 10% of the market. AT 0.7 (6+) they seem to be reaching less than 10% of the Hispanics in Atlanta. Is 105.3 playing the correct “flavor” of Hispanic music? Hispanic CHR seems to do well in larger markets in 6+ numbers. Even being the “only large Hispanic signal in Atlanta” those would be hard numbers to push. Would a national client really be happy with 0.7 (6+) as the main radio exposure in market # 8?

105.3 and 104.1 both are C1’s with similar coverage. 104.1 has a 6.3 (6+). 105.3 has a .7 (6+). I believe CC / IHeart could use their urban programing ability and really do something with 105.3.

I understand your thinking and agree with you that WBZY/105.3 would be an effective signal for an Urban format given its coverage. In fact, 105.7 would be a better signal for Hispanic given its strength in Gwinnett.

That said, Atlanta has so many Urban options that trying to steal that audience would be cost prohibitive, and achieving success would be questionable. I realize iHeart programs Urban on the 92.3 translator, but that's a "throwaway" station with no pressure to get ratings.

That .7 share translates to a 7.0 share of the Hispanic market, and WBZY's weekly cume, the number of different listeners reached in a week, is 31% of the Latino population. WBZY gets on virtually every Hispanic radio buy. Moreover, I'm guessing WBZY's payroll is modest at best. So I expect iHeart to stick with the Hispanic format on WBZY.

I do believe WBZY would get higher ratings on 105.7; right now WBZY concedes the Gwinnett audience to La Raza (WLKQ/102.3), which they would not be doing if the station were on 105.7. In past years I wrote that El Patron should move to 105.7 (much to a former market manager's displeasure). The issue now is that 105.7's current alternative format targets the northern part of the market and may be better suited to that signal than to 105.3.

Most of us on this board and the original site have always suggested 105.3 be used as Urban. Too late now!! iHeart has let all these Urban stations launch before they chose to bring Urban to Atlanta. Seen those ratings? 2 signals and still nobody is listening. The Breakfast Club isn't pulling it! WiLD had hopes but that died.

I understand your thinking and agree with you that WBZY/105.3 would be an effective signal for an Urban format given its coverage. In fact, 105.7 would be a better signal for Hispanic given its strength in Gwinnett.

That said, Atlanta has so many Urban options that trying to steal that audience would be cost prohibitive, and achieving success would be questionable. I realize iHeart programs Urban on the 92.3 translator, but that's a "throwaway" station with no pressure to get ratings.

That .7 share translates to a 7.0 share of the Hispanic market, and WBZY's weekly cume, the number of different listeners reached in a week, is 31% of the Latino population. WBZY gets on virtually every Hispanic radio buy. Moreover, I'm guessing WBZY's payroll is modest at best. So I expect iHeart to stick with the Hispanic format on WBZY.

I do believe WBZY would get higher ratings on 105.7; right now WBZY concedes the Gwinnett audience to La Raza (WLKQ/102.3), which they would not be doing if the station were on 105.7. In past years I wrote that El Patron should move to 105.7 (much to a former market manager's displeasure). The issue now is that 105.7's current alternative format targets the northern part of the market and may be better suited to that signal than to 105.3.

IMHO: What would be beneficial to Radio One and Iheart/CC would be a “swap” of 107.5 (maybe 97.5) with 105.3. They could LMA each other the stations to save on legal expenses and we would not have to listen to the legal advertisements/announcement which can be rather lengthy with a publicly held company.

Would the cross LMA count in station caps? The operators are effectively “losing” programming of a station but gaining another so actually there would be no real loss of programming diversity. The reason I ask is what I think is common sense and FCC rules don’t always match up.

Last edited:
If iHeartMedia decides to do an Urban station on 105.3, I believe it should be Urban Gospel to compete with Urban One's (Radio One)WPZE since they currently do not have any FM competition for that particular audience in Atlanta.

Last edited:
If iHeartMedia decides to do an Urban station on 105.3, I believe it should be Urban Gospel to compete with Urban One's (Radio One)WPZE since they currently do not have any FM competition for that particular audience in Atlanta.
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/activity.php

The problem is that that, despite getting pretty good ratings, Urban Gospel does not do too well in billings. That's because the audience is predominantly over 55. So they don't get on lots of agency buys (except when combined with bigger stations) and there is just not enough revenue for two stations to survive on.

This is, in part, the reason why Urban One (then Radio One) abandoned the format in Houston where it had very good ratings but very low sales.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom