• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What top 200 market in USA has the highest number per capita of radio stations?

How about Hartford/New Britain/Middletown (CT)?

WRYM-AM 840 New Britain
WLAT-AM 910 New Britain
WNTY-AM 990 Southington
WTIC-AM 1080 Hartford
WPRX-AM 1120 Bristol/New Britain
WMRD-AM 1150 Middletown
WCTF-AM 1170 Vernon
WCCC-AM 1290 West Hartford *
WDRC-AM 1360 Hartford
WPOP-AM 1410 Hartford
WMMW-AM 1470 Meriden
WDZK-AM 1550 Bloomfield *

WESU-FM 88.1 Middletown
WJMJ-FM 88.9 Hartford
WRTC-FM 89.3 Hartford
WQTQ-FM 89.9 Hartford
WNPR-FM 90.5 Meriden
WWUH-FM 91.3 West Hartford
WWYZ-FM 92.5 Waterbury/Hartford
WZMX-FM 93.7 Hartford
WERB-FM 94.5 Berlin
WKSS-FM 95.7 Hartford/Meriden
W241CG-FM 96.1 Southington *
WTIC-FM 96.5 Hartford
W?????-FM 97.1 Bolton
WUCS-FM 97.9 Windsor Locks/Hartford
WRCH-FM 100.5 New Britain/Hartford
WDRC-FM 102.9 Hartford
WMRQ-FM 104.1 Waterbury/Hartford
WIHS-FM 104.9 Middletown
WHCN-FM 105.9 Hartford
WCCC-FM 106.9 Hartford *
WFCS-FM 107.7 New Britain

* Need to check call letters, as I rarely check these stations anymore.

David, I don't question your stats at all, I'm just curious where your getting them from? I used Radio Locator and checked local stations only.

Nielsen listings of stations "Home to Market" since that is the accepted-by-FCC definition of a "market" today.

How about Hartford/New Britain/Middletown (CT)?

WRYM-AM 840 New Britain
WLAT-AM 910 New Britain
WNTY-AM 990 Southington
WTIC-AM 1080 Hartford
WPRX-AM 1120 Bristol/New Britain
WMRD-AM 1150 Middletown
WCTF-AM 1170 Vernon
WCCC-AM 1290 West Hartford *
WDRC-AM 1360 Hartford
WPOP-AM 1410 Hartford
WMMW-AM 1470 Meriden
WDZK-AM 1550 Bloomfield *

WESU-FM 88.1 Middletown
WJMJ-FM 88.9 Hartford
WRTC-FM 89.3 Hartford
WQTQ-FM 89.9 Hartford
WNPR-FM 90.5 Meriden
WWUH-FM 91.3 West Hartford
WWYZ-FM 92.5 Waterbury/Hartford
WZMX-FM 93.7 Hartford
WERB-FM 94.5 Berlin
WKSS-FM 95.7 Hartford/Meriden
W241CG-FM 96.1 Southington *
WTIC-FM 96.5 Hartford
W?????-FM 97.1 Bolton
WUCS-FM 97.9 Windsor Locks/Hartford
WRCH-FM 100.5 New Britain/Hartford
WDRC-FM 102.9 Hartford
WMRQ-FM 104.1 Waterbury/Hartford
WIHS-FM 104.9 Middletown
WHCN-FM 105.9 Hartford
WCCC-FM 106.9 Hartford *
WFCS-FM 107.7 New Britain

* Need to check call letters, as I rarely check these stations anymore.

I get a total of 59 including translators and LPFM stations.

These are the MSA counties:

Hartford, CT
Litchfield, CT
Middlesex, CT
New Haven, CT
Tolland, CT

Aren't Westchester, Putnam, and Rockland Counties and the Connecticut panhandle also in the Metro?

The only CT area in the book is a slice of Fairfield County.

Rockland / Westchester / Putnam is not an embedded market... so I forgot to count that group. 23 stations, iincluding a couple of translators.

And the fact that the Chicago market is as large as it is... wow. I do think that market is a bit too big, the suburban stations cannot reach Chi-town at all, and there are a TON of suburban stations that are pretty much the only reason the market is as large as it is.

No different than Eastern long island.

The Arbitron definition was based on listening and commute patterns, and comes from an era when the big AM stations covered those farther off counties. Today, nobody wants to redefine the metro, as it would mean slipping from #3 to # 5 or even #6 in population, which would hurt billings.

I definitely think Waukegan/Racine should get a market of its own.

Chicago broadcasters just voted in the last month or so to keep the Kenosha county in the metro. And there are not enough potential subscribers to merit an embedded book.

The only reason I think this market and NYC's market are as large as it is is because the signals transmitting from downtown can reach much of the market. Even then, much of Suffolk County and Putnam County can't get a local-quality signal out of their stations.

The market definitions are based on the percentage of local listening and commuting is attributed to "home" stations. Nielsen regularly revises metros... quite a few get changed every year.

I get a total of 59 including translators and LPFM stations.

These are the MSA counties:

Hartford, CT
Litchfield, CT
Middlesex, CT
New Haven, CT
Tolland, CT

Well then, if you add New Haven county you get WKCI and WPLR (two stations that cover Hartford), and the rest of them barely reach Hartford, if at all.
Litchfield and Tolland counties have a few stations in them too.
And WMAS, despite targeting Springfield, is a Hartford market station, a similar thing to WKTU (Long Island targeting NYC), three Westchester stations that target NYC (same with One Middlessex/Somerset/Union station), WAAF (from Worcester, targets Boston), WXLO (vice versa), and WPKQ (from Concord, targets Portland). Are these stations in both markets, the market they originate from, or the market they serve?

Well then, if you add New Haven county you get WKCI and WPLR (two stations that cover Hartford), and the rest of them barely reach Hartford, if at all.
Litchfield and Tolland counties have a few stations in them too.
And WMAS, despite targeting Springfield, is a Hartford market station, a similar thing to WKTU (Long Island targeting NYC), three Westchester stations that target NYC (same with One Middlessex/Somerset/Union station), WAAF (from Worcester, targets Boston), WXLO (vice versa), and WPKQ (from Concord, targets Portland). Are these stations in both markets, the market they originate from, or the market they serve?

The FCC goes by the Nielsen market definitions. Only stations home to the market, as defined, are considered to be in the market.

WKTU is home to the NYC market, as it includes Nassau County.

The case of WAAF is a little difficult, and would likely be evaluated by the FCC in the case of an over-the-cap situation. Part of Worcester County is in the Boston MSA, part is not. Generally, the market a station is home to is considered to be the location for the determination of market caps.

Of consideration is whether a "rimshot" station covers all the market, or just a corner of it.

Anchorage is market 174, and there are 49 stations home to the metro.

Slightly off topic but just for comparison, Derby has a very similar population to Anchorage, and I've got 14 choices, 10 FM and 4 AM. Two of the AM services are music based as well.

Truly, we remain in the stone age when it comes to radio choice.......

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom