• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Mid Year Radio Review

KOST is AC and KBIG is Hot AC in LA, and both can be in the top 5 at the same time, along with Adult CHR KIIS!

KIIS is considered adult CHR these days? Though not recently, I've heard all three of those stations, and to me they sound enough different to me that there might be some people that listen to all three but they all have an audience of their own as well. From what I've heard of WALK and WKJY, they both sound extremely similar, so how exactly do they not cannibalize one another?

Goodie! A Seattle radio discussion that drifts off to Long Island and Los Angeles talk, even facilitated by a moderator. Yet, a remote mention of a Seattle radio legend passing away, and the thread gets banished.

Goodie! A Seattle radio discussion that drifts off to Long Island and Los Angeles talk, even facilitated by a moderator. Yet, a remote mention of a Seattle radio legend passing away, and the thread gets banished.

The LA and Long Island references show that Seattle would not be unique after the Entercom deal in having two stations in the same format run by the same company.

I thought that was the target for any CHR. I also though that KIIS had been considered rhythmic-leaning.

KIIS rhythmic leaning? Not a chance. Playing Donald Glover's new song doesn't make you rhythmic-leaning...it makes you a Top 40 station in LA that needs to play a flavor record every now and then to keep some sort of credibility. KIIS isn't playing Future, French Montana, Chris Brown, Ayo & Teo, etc. When your top 5 records are Bieber, Halsey, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars, you're a mainstream CHR.

On another note, I agree with those that said Entercom will keep both KMPS and KKWF, or at least would like to. If they can silo the country market then they (likely) never have to worry about someone taking them on. Both stations bill decently and there's enough room in that format to make one of the stations into a "country chr" and the other in to a "country ac". It will be interesting to watch what happens.

KIIS rhythmic leaning? Not a chance. Playing Donald Glover's new song doesn't make you rhythmic-leaning...it makes you a Top 40 station in LA that needs to play a flavor record every now and then to keep some sort of credibility. KIIS isn't playing Future, French Montana, Chris Brown, Ayo & Teo, etc. When your top 5 records are Bieber, Halsey, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars, you're a mainstream CHR.

On another note, I agree with those that said Entercom will keep both KMPS and KKWF, or at least would like to. If they can silo the country market then they (likely) never have to worry about someone taking them on. Both stations bill decently and there's enough room in that format to make one of the stations into a "country chr" and the other in to a "country ac". It will be interesting to watch what happens.

Kudos to a great post and great data to support it. One thing for sure Entercom will look to own men and rock. From KISW, KZOK, and KNDD ( maybe Jack if that doesn't get spun out or swapped ) Holding on to both country stations would keep someone out but at what costs and is the roi worth it when you might be able to pick up other sticks else where that could off set. Owning the men, rock and country audience is a nice piece of the pie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom