Mid Year Radio Review - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid Year Radio Review

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    That's why I expect Entercom to keep both KMPS and The Wolf.
    Like you, I expect the two to stay together, though I could see Entercom swapping both if they got a good enough deal from another company, like Hubbard or Bonneville. As you probably remember, Bonneville made Emmis give them WIL and WKKX in St. Louis when they agreed to swap KZLA. After the Sinclair deal, Emmis really wanted to keep both country stations and swap out some of the rockers, but Bonneville wasn't going to give up KZLA for that.

"So you think Seattle is such a big country market that it could handle three stations?" - I never said that but you ASSumed that. Good job BIG A!

Quote Originally Posted by Goi View Post
    "So you think Seattle is such a big country market that it could handle three stations?" - I never said that but you ASSumed that. Good job BIG A!
    You said you want iHeart to flip a station to country. That would make three country stations. Do the math.

I'm asking you a question. Do you think Seattle could handle 3 country stations?

My question in all this is why does it seem like country is the only format where companies are willing to own more than one station in the same format? About the only other example I can think of is WCBS and WINS being both all news. The only other possible example might be WALK and WKJY. In my mind at least, those are both AC stations, though I think WALK might be classified as Hot AC. In my mind, they sound extremely similar. How can two stations sound so similar and not cannibalize each other?

Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    My question in all this is why does it seem like country is the only format where companies are willing to own more than one station in the same format?
    One word: Money. It's currents-based, the audience is the demo advertisers love, listeners are very loyal, and they prefer terrestrial to other platforms.

In the markets I can think of, where a company owns two stations in the country format, both of them are doing well in the ratings.

speculating that iheart is going to do something here is reasonable speculation

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    You said you want iHeart to flip a station to country. That would make three country stations. Do the math.

I'm asking you a question. Do you think Seattle could handle 3 country stations?
    I'm sorry I have to dumb it down.... I thought most people here already knew the obvious that 3 country won't work. I moved past the BIG E on the eye chart but apparently some folks "vision" doesn't allow them to read the smaller letters. I'm beyond the elementary and thought you were as well. I know now that we have to make known the obvious before we post so the uneducated can keep pace. Ok. CBS/ Entercom will keep one of those country sticks, the most profitable. Thus the iHeart Country station... And don't be surprised if 102.9 and 104.9 go buh-by and one of those (Alt ) moves to a full signal. I could be wrong... time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Goi View Post
    Ok. CBS/ Entercom will keep one of those country sticks, the most profitable. Thus the iHeart Country station.
    Suppose they're both very profitable? Why would Entercom make a decision knowing it opens the door for their competition?

As I said in my other post (which you may have missed), it's not unusual for a company to own two country stations in the same market. iHeart has that exact situation in Austin and several other markets. Cumulus is doing it in Dallas and Nashville. Steel City has two country stations in Kansas City. All of them are profitable. All of them do well in the ratings. Perhaps better than if they flipped to some other format.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdavcav View Post
    My question in all this is why does it seem like country is the only format where companies are willing to own more than one station in the same format? About the only other example I can think of is WCBS and WINS being both all news. The only other possible example might be WALK and WKJY. In my mind at least, those are both AC stations, though I think WALK might be classified as Hot AC. In my mind, they sound extremely similar. How can two stations sound so similar and not cannibalize each other?
    KOST is AC and KBIG is Hot AC in LA, and both can be in the top 5 at the same time, along with Adult CHR KIIS!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

102.9 was already Country once (KNBQ) and they blew that up because it was the third CW station in the market. Of the formats since, I don't think any of them have done as well as 102.9 did as a country station though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast