• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Easy 95.1 / 920 WMNI.

xmusicmatt

Star Participant
95.1 is now on the air as a translator for AM 920 WMNI.

http://www.wmni.com/

They rebranded as “Easy 95.1 and 920 WMNI”

From their website “WMNI is transitioning from a traditional Adult Standards format to “Vintage” Adult Contemporary as “Easy 95.1 FM and AM 920 WMNI”.

While the station will still highlight “Timeless Classics” from artists like, Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole, a much greater emphasis will be placed on light rock and pop favorites from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, including artists like, Neil Diamond, Carole King, Billy Joel, James Taylor, The Beatles, Elton John and Chicago to name a few.”

This station has not dropped adult standards. Rather, the definition of what is called adult standards has changed. There's virtually no difference from America's Best Music. If anything, it's better than that format's latest playlist.

WNAM had a sports event and KKOV keeps having problems with its stream.

Okay, I see. It's not playing as many actual standards as the satellite format. But the soft hits they are playing are mostly good. The songs I don't like aren't showing up.

Ordinarily, when a station changes its format to soft AC, the change is drastic. WEZV Myrtle Beach SC has been calling itself soft AC since 2008 but it still leaned heavily toward standards. One could argue its format was standards. But now the change has actually happened and the station is distinctly different, much like a soft rock station of the early 80s.

I have a real problem with the terminology when "soft AC" is the description of a station this good, because it is confusing when the term actually refers to the Myrtle Beach station.

"Hold On" by Wilson Phillips?

Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture, read my lips, no new taxes.

Seriously, they weren't even doing the soft AC that America's Best Music has added since they dropped it. They weren't doing anything even remotely close. I did hear a few songs that weren't like what they were doing before, but this?

WNAM still has America's Best Music but they had baseball. I was really enjoying WMNI even without a lot of real "standards". "The Very Thought of You" by Nat also sounded completely off the wall. There was some really good stuff, borderline standards but probably oldies, even songs America's Best Music doesn't seem to have been playing.

"Hold On" by Wilson Phillips?

Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent at this juncture, read my lips, no new taxes.

Seriously, they weren't even doing the soft AC that America's Best Music has added since they dropped it. They weren't doing anything even remotely close. I did hear a few songs that weren't like what they were doing before, but this?

WNAM still has America's Best Music but they had baseball. I was really enjoying WMNI even without a lot of real "standards". "The Very Thought of You" by Nat also sounded completely off the wall. There was some really good stuff, borderline standards but probably oldies, even songs America's Best Music doesn't seem to have been playing.

And of course once the crisis was over, it was just as good as before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom