• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Disney Country on KDRC Los Angeles

http://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n34312

Radio Disney Country has launched in Los Angeles to expand its multi-platform Country music with the debut of KRDC-FM (99.1). In addition to the launch on FM, Radio Disney Country will also be available on iHeartRadio, TuneIn and as curated playlists within Spotify and Apple Music, further expanding its reach. RDC will also launch a musical.ly account (@RadioDisneyCountry) building on its strong consumer presence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and YouTube. RDC will continue to be available on the Radio Disney app, as well as AM 1110 Los Angeles (formerly Radio Disney).

VP/Music Strategy, Disney Channels Worldwide and Radio Disney Network GM Phil Guerini said, "As country music continues to deliver some of the biggest artists in music today, we are broadening the reach of Radio Disney Country through both terrestrial and digital extensions of its brand."

The first hour commercial-free playlist on Radio Disney Country's Los Angeles station kicked off with:

"Legends" by Kelsea Ballerini
"Play It Again" by Luke Bryan
"God, Your Mama, and Me" by Florida Georgia Line (f. The Backstreet Boys)
"Every Little Thing" by Carly Pearce
"Say" by RaeLynn (f. Dan + Shay)
"Yours If You Want It" by Rascal Flatts
"Own It" by Bailey Bryan
"What Ifs" by Kane Brown (f. Lauren Alaina)
"You Look Good" by Lady Antebellum
"No Such Thing As a Broken Heart" by Old Dominion
"Hoping" by Temecula Road
"I Could Use a Love Song" by Maren Morris
"How Not To" by Dan + Shay

Umm this is Disney's response to compete against Nash Country.

If this is keeping with earlier incarnations of Radio Disney, the main goal is brand promotion.

The benefit of this LA area station is the ability to do country artist promotions with Disneyland. If it's not built already, there will soon be a Radio Disney Country stage somewhere in the park, with artists performing on a regular basis. If it works, there might be a similar operation near Orlando.

https://varietybeat.com/2017/05/19/cma-fest-radio-disney-country-stage-performers-announced/

Last edited:
I don't see this as a big push to get terrestrial coverage in many markets. I'm actually surprised Disney is putting any effort into radio at all. Perhaps they are seeking content for low rated ESPN Radio affiliates?

I don't see this as a big push to get terrestrial coverage in many markets. I'm actually surprised Disney is putting any effort into radio at all. Perhaps they are seeking content for low rated ESPN Radio affiliates?

Nope. As I said, it has nothing to do with radio stations. The station itself will probably never make money. There's more money in creating a concert venue in Disneyland, promoted by the radio service.

So is this station nothing but a promo for a stage in Disneyland? I mean, how many younger demo radio listeners in LA are country fans?

So is this station nothing but a promo for a stage in Disneyland? I mean, how many younger demo radio listeners in LA are country fans?

It's not about being "country fans." It's about being fans of these particular artists who will go to the venue.

Having a radio station in the #2 market (plus the national service) qualifies them to get promotion from record labels.

The Beaumont translator was moved to Irwindale. They are apparently looking to do a second step by moving it to Industry.

Up to where is KGGI's protected coverage? I believe they come in like gangbusters in both Irwindale and City of Industry. Even their HD2 signal is pretty reliable there and in North Orange County. This impacts KGGI significantly in that pocket of Eastern LA County.

Last edited by a moderator:
Up to where is KGGI's protected coverage? I believe they come in like gangbusters in both Irwindale and City of Industry. Even their HD2 signal is pretty reliable there and in North Orange County. This impacts KGGI significantly in that pocket of Eastern LA County.

KGGI is protected to the 54 dbu contour of a conforming Class B FM which is just a tiny bit over 40 miles. To the west, that is right about at the center of Pomona, just inside the LA County line.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure what KRDC-FM's contour even is, as it hasn't been logged into either Radio Locator, or FCCdata.org.

Edit:

Oh... 99.1 is a translator of KRDC, which is actually an AM station on 1110. Nevermind. And with that, goes the last Radio Disney AM station ever (it's still on, but at 101.1 HD2).

Last edited:
Is 99.1 on the air yet? I live in Azusa and I still hear KGGI.

It was on the air. But iHeart, licensee of KGGI, filed an "informal objection" to the operation without authorization of the translator from the Irwindale location.

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101758844&formid=917&fac_num=141730

Click on the link at the bottom. It even has photos of an antenna installed without a CP. Mounting an antenna without a CP has always been a significant offense before the Commission.

It is quite possible that Disney, realizing that there was a problem, shut the translator down until this is resolved.

Between the lines, it looks like KGGI is not going to stop with just an informal objection. They refer to listener complaints, and will possibly try to nix the whole operation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom