• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

May 2017 Boston Radio Ratings.

These numbers are always interesting but we always have to keep in mind that 6 plus doesn't mean all that much.

WRKO - LMAO - The Voice Of Boston - snicker.

Although I hate that the station pretty much goes away after 7pm, and that weekends are all brokered programming, you can not deny how well RKO does 6a-7p M-F. They are top 10 with adults 35-64, and with men 25-54. The stations year over year numbers are nearly tripled in some day parts.

Although I hate that the station pretty much goes away after 7pm, and that weekends are all brokered programming, you can not deny how well RKO does 6a-7p M-F. They are top 10 with adults 35-64, and with men 25-54. The stations year over year numbers are nearly tripled in some day parts.

Six to ten is an ego fest and ten to noon, no comment, noon to three is nothing but drama, three to seven is ok if you can get past the stammering and if you tune in first thing and write down the 844 call in number you'll be all set because after about an hour he gives out the wrong number (more than once). And before you ask, no I don't listen to the six to ten "let's try and out ego each other", or the ten to noon or the drama queen from noon to three and if Savage (on WMEX is live now from 3-6) if he's off the hook I'll tune into the three to seven guy on RKO and half listen until he starts stammering. I will give him this, he is the best, the absolute best for local stuff, he knows everything about everything, but sometimes the book selling and book tour promos get to be too much. I don't have access to individual show numbers so I can't comment on that. I'd love to know the ratings for 6-10 and 12-3. The 12-3 was told two years ago when he took over the slot that he had six months to bring his numbers up so he could go national..."the ratings are through the roof and we're going national baaaaaaaaaaaaby", yeah, well, here we are two years later and he's still local.

you can not deny how well RKO does 6a-7p M-F.

Trying hard not to be snarky....but, yes I can deny "how well they are doing".

They are top 10 with adults 35-64, and with men 25-54.

Do you think anyone is buying 10 deep? (Especially in those demos?)

My cursory look at the ratings show that the only thing that is working (somewhat) on that station is Howie Carr in the afternoon.

Otherwise (in my book) they are a a dead station with a pretty good signal.

You've sung this song before about "how well they are doing", "it's a big deal", etc.

WRKO has a lot going against it....and I'm sure they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with....but I am not buying it.

Does anyone know what they billed last year?

Last edited:
My cursory look at the ratings show that the only thing that is working (somewhat) on that station is Howie Carr in the afternoon.

Does anyone know what they billed last year?

If we look at 25-54 by dayparts, it is 18th in morning, 20th in middays and 13th in afternoons.

Then if we look deeper at afternoons, they are 3rd in 25-64. The increased from 13th to 3rd means that most of the audience is 55 and over. Not something transactional advertisers go for.

They were about 15th in billings, at just around $5 million. That is one-sixth of what WEEI-FM did.

I'll tune into the three to seven guy on RKO and half listen until he starts stammering. [snip - lol@Barbara]

What's been irking me lately is he's only on 3 days a week now. It seems every Friday and Monday he's off -- Friday for the weekend "show"/"book tour" and then who knows where (recovering from the long weekend?) on Monday. The fill, Steve, isn't a bad kid, but he's young and doesn't have the depth of knowledge about the area/history that Howie does.

Makes me wonder at the moment who the natural "heir" will be taking over his space, once Howie goes to that big bookstore in the sky, and isn't on any longer.

In the summer, I can see why, I can pick up RKO all the way down here in Buzzard's Bay. I can't say that about 1420 down in New Bedford, which is one of Howie's affiliates down this way. So, if I'm listening to Howie, I can listen to him without changing the channel all the way from Bourne to Salem, at least in June :)

If we look at 25-54 by dayparts, it is 18th in morning, 20th in middays and 13th in afternoons.

For those of us not in the "biz", what are the time slots for those day parts? e.g. is it fixed, i.e. 6-10, 10-2, 2-6, or does it vary based upon a station's programming?

My guess is that RKO is fairly consistent with other stations of its ilk around the country. If you don't have the news image in your market, you won't cut it as a talk station in much of anything under age 54. Play-by-play sports don't hurt either. WRKO has neither. So to be in the 2.0 share range and apparently profitable is pretty respectable.

I'd love to see WRKO's overall numbers recalibrated taking out M-F 3pm-7pm. Howie's the only thing keeping the station at some level of ratings respectability.

For those of us not in the "biz", what are the time slots for those day parts? e.g. is it fixed, i.e. 6-10, 10-2, 2-6, or does it vary based upon a station's programming?

Standard dayparts in all measured markets:

6-10, 10-3, 3-7, 7-Mid, Mid-6 AM

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom