• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio 104.5 compliment - sort of

I have to give a compliment to Radio 104.5. This past weekend they actually took a break from playing The Red Hot Chili Peppers eleventeen times an hour and aired a somewhat rare track, Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag". But... they managed to eff that up by airing the most unnecessarily over-censored version of it. The uncensored version contains zero words that would be frowned upon by the FCC. They took out the word "d*ck", which Family Guy says in almost every episode on over-the-air free TV, and they took out the entire phrase "He brings a gun to school". What's up with that? I also cringe every time they butcher Weezer's masterpiece "Undone - The Sweater Song". They have the worst possible edit of that song ever made. I've been a musician for forty years and the edit on that track makes the timing of the song musically incorrect. By the way, the word that they ruin the song over is "g*ddamn". If Radio 104.5 feels it's necessary to edit words beyond FCC compliance then maybe they shouldn't air those songs at all. (I censored two words in my post to avoid being edited by a moderator here. I'm not sure how uptight they are).

I have to give a compliment to Radio 104.5. This past weekend they actually took a break from playing The Red Hot Chili Peppers eleventeen times an hour and aired a somewhat rare track, Wheatus' "Teenage Dirtbag". But... they managed to eff that up by airing the most unnecessarily over-censored version of it. The uncensored version contains zero words that would be frowned upon by the FCC. They took out the word "d*ck", which Family Guy says in almost every episode on over-the-air free TV, and they took out the entire phrase "He brings a gun to school". What's up with that? I also cringe every time they butcher Weezer's masterpiece "Undone - The Sweater Song". They have the worst possible edit of that song ever made. I've been a musician for forty years and the edit on that track makes the timing of the song musically incorrect. By the way, the word that they ruin the song over is "g*ddamn". If Radio 104.5 feels it's necessary to edit words beyond FCC compliance then maybe they shouldn't air those songs at all. (I censored two words in my post to avoid being edited by a moderator here. I'm not sure how uptight they are).

A radio station was once fined by the FCC for airing a radio edit supplied by the record label: (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/radio-fined-over-eminem-tune-20010606)

No harm in being over cautious when it comes to protecting the license.

104.5 (presumably by way of Clear Channel) has a record of the most god-awful (g*d-awful?) editing hack-jobs. Removing the word "locked" from "locked and loaded" in Silversun Pickups' "Lazy Eye" ruins the song's timing. Alternatively (zing!) in Sublime's "Wrong Way" (a song thrice as old as the station) they edit out the word "ass" from "drunk ass dad" yet leave the following line "wanna shoot your dad" completely intact.
:confused::confused::confused:

104.5 (presumably by way of Clear Channel) has a record of the most god-awful (g*d-awful?) editing hack-jobs. Removing the word "locked" from "locked and loaded" in Silversun Pickups' "Lazy Eye" ruins the song's timing. Alternatively (zing!) in Sublime's "Wrong Way" (a song thrice as old as the station) they edit out the word "ass" from "drunk ass dad" yet leave the following line "wanna shoot your dad" completely intact.
:confused::confused::confused:

You're absolutely right about "Wrong Way", that version is painful to listen to. I haven't heard the edit of Silversun Pickups but I'll pay attention the next time I hear it. I dig that band, they sound a lot like Smashing Pumpkins. There's also an edited version of Everlast's "What It's Like" that has the word "green" edited out. Ridiculous.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom