• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KHJS-LP silent

A

AnyHuman

99.1 KHJS finally filed a notification to the FCC after being silent for quite some time.

It says:
"DAMAGE TO TRANSMITTER EQUIPMENT. IT IS NECESSARY TO SEND IT TO THE MANUFACTURER TO REPAIR IT OR OBTAIN A NEW ONE."

It seems KHJS has not had an easy time of it. From the limited information I've been able to find, they began playing music and liners. Before too long there seemed to be audio issues. Then they asked to move to another very close location which I suspect was getting booted from a tower or a tenant not liking the idea later. Then this. I've understood them to be off the air for several months. I have to wonder if they might quietly go away resulting in a D before their call letters by this time next year. Nothing on their Facebook page in more than a year at last check.

According to what I heard they're going to be on in two weeks.
And supposedly the bad engineer who misled them is now long gone from there. That's good...

Good. I hate to see well meaning new radio folks fall in the pit of bad advice and radio people that don't know enough to help them. It's not a common thing but it happens enough to be a problem. Hoping they're back soon.

We'll see...
They lied in their silent notification though. It says they've been off since 05/01/2017, when in actuality they wer off since October of last year. If I remember correctly that's illegal.

We'll see...
They lied in their silent notification though. It says they've been off since 05/01/2017, when in actuality they wer off since October of last year. If I remember correctly that's illegal.

Please be careful when accusing others of illegal acts without providing documented proof.

Alright.

I hear it's been reported to the FCC, so we'll see what happens and if any enforcement's taken.

Two weeks has come and gone. I'm guessing on one of the following:
1-They don't have a good engineer to fix it.
2-Their transmitter is more damaged than they thought.
3-They're just lazy and are virtually throwing their license away.

From my experience in radio, Murphy's Law is alive and well in radio. There have been so many times the obvious fix resulted in some already stressed portion of the broadcast chain failing, sometimes repeated a few times until things work as they are supposed to. Perhaps this is the case. Possibly the transmitter was sent back for replacement of burned out components and not returned within the promised time frame. Or the engineer finds an emergency at another station puts the repairs off. In fact, it might be some promised donations have not been collected as quickly as originally promised.

The STA notification was granted on the 6th of July. KHJS is still completely off the air.

It's still off, and if it's off after the middle of October the FCC might delete it's license if they find out it's been off since last year.

Judging by the Facebook page I would think this one will just fade away. No post in well more than a year. The station hits lots of folks in their 60 dbu. They could carve out a nice niche but it would take plenty of work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom