• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will or should WOGL use as replacements for Elvis & The Beatles?

And it's probably due to this, that these lost songs are never heard from again on classic hits, years later unless they happen to test well again for some reason. It makes me cringe, but I guess that's how it is in your industry.

It happens for a reason. Usually because the song wasn't that good in the first place, or developed negative reputation over time, like Achy Breaky Heart, Ahab The Arab, or Honey. Achy Breaky just celebrated its 25th anniversary. Billy Ray Cyrus did numerous interviews about it, pointing out the song sold 9 million albums, won the CMA Single of the Year, and keeps him working today. Yet playing it on the radio gets a negative reaction.

Last edited:
It happens for a reason. Usually because the song wasn't that good in the first place, or developed negative reputation over time, like Achy Breaky Heart, Ahab The Arab, or Honey. Achy Breaky just celebrated its 25th anniversary. Billy Ray Cyrus did numerous interviews about it, pointing out the song sold 9 million albums, won the CMA Single of the Year, and keeps him working today. Yet playing it on the radio gets a negative reaction.

Happy Father's Day, Mr. Cyrus! How's it feel to be nowadays less known for "Achy..." than as the dad of...?

(now back to the thread)

ixnay

So why did the Hot 100 -- and CHR playlists -- turn to sludge soon after the change? Downloading was in its infancy in 1992, yet that year you had marathon stays at No. 1 for "End of the Road," "Jump" and "I Will Always Love You," and it only got worse in succeeding years. Was SoundScan behind the ultra-conservatism of CHR programmers in those early years, or was some other factor at work?

When sales reporting was based on wholesale shipments, there would be instant shipments in anticipation of big sales and to insure enough product was in channels. If the song stiffed out, there were no reorders and so the sales part of the chart would decline. If the demand was moderate, the additional shipments would be slower.

With Soundscan, we we get a register of weekly actual retail, and that may be spread out over a longer time. Also remember that the 80's market the end of the single, so it became very hard to judge individual song retail demand so airplay and, eventually, digital took over.

The older movements were quite artificial. Today's methods show actual interest in a song itself, not wholesale shipments that don't really show sales. And now, with on-demand and downloads, we again have single song data.

And it's probably due to this, that these lost songs are never heard from again on classic hits, years later unless they happen to test well again for some reason. It makes me cringe, but I guess that's how it is in your industry.

Songs burn at different rates.

Biggest example: La Macarena. When it was done, it was toast. It literally went from very positive from very negative in just a couple of weeks, and radio killed it dead. It never came back.

Some never die.

Back in 1995 at an AC in LA, we had a song that tested #1 for over a year, so it became a power for most of the time during 60 weeks. If we saw it softening, it would go into a lower rotation only to surge in callout, and go back to power because we were not playing it enough. It lasted in current and recurrent categories nearly 3 years before going into the top gold category. 18 years later it does not test well enough to play.

I've heard "Achy Breaky Heart" numerous times on iHeart's classic country feed, carried locally on WWYZ-HD2. If it's OK with a big company like iHeart, I would assume that Cumulus' Nash Icon stations play it as well, though there's no way to tell here as we have no affiliate in the state. Or are there songs that are OK for HD (non)audiences but not for main-signal listeners?

Back in 1995 at an AC in LA, we had a song that tested #1 for over a year, so it became a power for most of the time during 60 weeks. If we saw it softening, it would go into a lower rotation only to surge in callout, and go back to power because we were not playing it enough. It lasted in current and recurrent categories nearly 3 years before going into the top gold category. 18 years later it does not test well enough to play.

Let me guess...."As I Lay Me Down" by Sophie B Hawkins. As for "Macarena", I wonder if the same fate will apply to "Despacito", now at 5 weeks #1.

Let me guess...."As I Lay Me Down" by Sophie B Hawkins. As for "Macarena", I wonder if the same fate will apply to "Despacito", now at 5 weeks #1.

Wrong. "Mi Forma de Sentir" by Pedro Fernández. Top plays on LA's #1 station for over a year.

"Despacito" is not a novelty song, while "La Macarena" is.

We have precedent in a song that did not cross over as fast and big... the Enrique Iglesias - Gente de Zona -Descember Bueno song "Bailando" was in the top tier of the Latin Chart for nearly 3 years, and now has 2.2 billion YouTube plays and continues to rack them up.

What are you going to play? "Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd or "Batdance" by Prince?

Does anyone, anywhere play "Batdance?" If they do, I hope it's the single edit.

Does anyone, anywhere play "Batdance?" If they do, I hope it's the single edit.

Not even SiriusXM, whose decades channels play a whole bunch of songs terrestrial hasn't touched since they were current. You KNOW a song hasn't aged well when that happens!

Well, considering that Batdance was from the summer of 1989, it's unlikely that it's going to get any play on 90's on 9.

Meanwhile, 80's on 8 seems to be a loop of the same countdown show not only on weekends but randomly during the week.

As for specialty shows, I don't plan my weekend around the radio. I just want it there when I want it, you know what I mean? It's probably the most frustrating part of listening to the SXM decades channels. You drive to the beach. You spend the day at the beach. Then when you get in the car on the way home you get the same songs in the same order, so you punch out and stop coming back.

If Elvis Only comes on, you can guarantee that I'm gone before the show open is finished. It's not my generation and I have no reason to stick around and wait it out. The Beatles are slightly more relevant to me, but not by much.

One hundred percent agree. If I hear the Elvis show (or Beatles--not relevant to me), I'm gone. Ditto street corner Sunday.

And yes, 80s on 8 replays the countdown ad nauseam. Friday night, several times each Saturday and Sunday (once I think with just an hour or two between replays) and again on something like Tuesday night. Just do the regular format for some of those times, even sans personalities, and it would be a bit of an improvement to the experience, IMO.

Maybe they should bring back the '70s/'80s AT40 shows and run them on Sunday mornings. That would be the best bet for WOGL's core audience now. I can't really see any individual act from this era carrying an entire show, and I don't think Sunday morning would be the best time for a new wave, disco/dance, or hair metal show.

I think there's still a market for a Beatles show, but it would probably be better suited to WMGK's audience at this point.

Maybe they'll just go with the regular format 24/7. When WKLB Boston dropped its Sunday morning country oldies show, the time slot went to the standard playlist with a voicetracked jock. There's an argument to be made for not driving away your primary audience at any time, and obviously WKLB's primary audience was going elsewhere when the Statler Brothers and Barbara Mandrell were being played for four hours.

Maybe they'll just go with the regular format 24/7. When WKLB Boston dropped its Sunday morning country oldies show, the time slot went to the standard playlist with a voicetracked jock. There's an argument to be made for not driving away your primary audience at any time, and obviously WKLB's primary audience was going elsewhere when the Statler Brothers and Barbara Mandrell were being played for four hours.

They're not even compatible with each other!

Maybe they should bring back the '70s/'80s AT40 shows and run them on Sunday mornings.QUOTE]

I thought WOGL DID play the Casey Casum AT40 shows, as I heard them somewhere on terrestrial radio. They would play the Top 40 from the same week but an earlier year.

Last edited:
Maybe they should bring back the '70s/'80s AT40 shows and run them on Sunday mornings.QUOTE]

I thought WOGL DID play the Casey Casum AT40 shows, as I heard them somewhere on terrestrial radio. They would play the Top 40 from the same week but an earlier year.

I thought they did at one point early on Saturday mornings--but with the Scott Shannon show coming along, I'm not sure that continued.

WOGL used to play the 70s and 80s but then stopped after the Scott Shannon Americas Greatest Hits launched. WOCL Sunny 105.9 is a CBS classic hits station and they carry the Casey Kasem 80s countdowns and the Scott Shannon show. I would love to hear those and the Shadoe Stevens ones after Casey left from 1988-1994. Those are def lost classics.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom