• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will or should WOGL use as replacements for Elvis & The Beatles?

Fakeem

Frequent Participant
Funny that the 50th anniversary of Sgt. Pepper debuts in the Top 5, yet WOGL is cancelling a show devoted to their music. I could care less about Elvis [ insert Chuck D quote here :D ], but I've loved The Beatles since I was a kid [Ironically, it was the Magical Mystery Tour that exposed me to them, and most people say that was their worst album].

Are there any artists with enough of a catalog and following to replace the show, or does WOGL just cancel all of their specialty shows? Does that mean Frank Cerami is next? Discuss [ wish I could remember the female comedian who started that saying ].

Elvis and the Beatles fit the category of 50's-60's music, which 'OGL has apparently abandoned, except for Holidays' great Street Corner Sunday program. (Well, at least it was on this past Sunday)

].

Are there any artists with enough of a catalog and following to replace the show, or does WOGL just cancel all of their specialty shows?

As another post said, there may be no need to replace the shows. The times specialty shows run are the lowest, lowest listening times of the whole week and the effort needed to produce them is not justified in the PPM world.

We used specialty shows in the diary measurement days because the diary registered TSL, cume and memory. Specialty shows tended to be memorable benchmarks and helped the station, in general, to get diary mentions. In the PPM, the strategy is not as effective and specialty shows, by deviating from what listeners expect from a station, may actually be negative in many formats.

They were also syndicated shows that allowed the station to give its local staff some time off.

Today, we do that with voice-tracking! :rolleyes:

Today, we do that with voice-tracking!

In some cases, but there is also the Scott Shannon syndicated show that's a specialty show carried by classic hits stations. The difference is it's not based on a single artist, and I think that format fits what listeners want today from OTA radio. The small audience that wants a single artist show will find it on satellite or internet.

Does that mean Frank Cerami is next? Discuss [ wish I could remember the female comedian who started that saying ].

If I remember right this is from an SNL skit, "Coffee Talk". And the comedian is Mike Myers, playing his mother-in-law.

Does this mean that their holiday specials are gone too? Such as their 7-day long A to Z's? I guess we'll find out around the 4th of July if they are doing anything worthwhile anymore.

Does this mean that their holiday specials are gone too? Such as their 7-day long A to Z's? I guess we'll find out around the 4th of July if they are doing anything worthwhile anymore.

One would think that they might contemporize the specials a bit. "A to Z" was originally an AOR feature, dating back to the 70's IIRC. Maybe time for a rest or at least a facelift and some Botox.

One would think that they might contemporize the specials a bit. "A to Z" was originally an AOR feature, dating back to the 70's IIRC. Maybe time for a rest or at least a facelift and some Botox.

From what I heard of it, A to Z this year (Memorial Day week) seemed more contemporary overall, though to David's point, a little more cosmetic work couldn't hurt. It could have been the times I listened, but I wasn't hearing Elvis or the Beatles that I recall, so the elimination of the Sunday morning shows might not be the indicator one way or another. (Staffing, perhaps a different story.)

I seem to recall them doing specials with each hour (maybe half hour) went in chronological order for the years in their general playlist. Not sure which holiday that was around (if any), but it might be a way to do a special that hasn't (to my knowledge) been as frequent.

I remember one Saturday in the fall of 1979 when WMMR(?) had a Beatles A to Z special. Clark DeLeon even mentioned it in his Inquirer column.

ixnay

I really do not understand. They get rid of two DJ's, one amazing one in Cadillac Jack...to sound more contemporary...but they still have not changed their playlist at all. It makes no sense. Ok, if they were going to completely get rid of the 60s and mostly 70s and focus from 1979-1992, you can make a case for this. But nothing has changed at all. They just got rid of two shows. How long do you think Street Corner Sunday will last? In regards to the music..my favorite era of music is 1986-1992. I would love to see them advance to this.

I really do not understand. They get rid of two DJ's, one amazing one in Cadillac Jack...to sound more contemporary...but they still have not changed their playlist at all. It makes no sense. Ok, if they were going to completely get rid of the 60s and mostly 70s and focus from 1979-1992, you can make a case for this. But nothing has changed at all. They just got rid of two shows. How long do you think Street Corner Sunday will last? In regards to the music..my favorite era of music is 1986-1992. I would love to see them advance to this.

I wouldn't hazard a guess on how long street corner Sunday will hang on. I would have pegged it to be gone a while back, but it hangs on. Perhaps the removal of the Sunday morning speciality shows will mean the same for the nighttime show, but I'm not placing any bets just yet.

More broadly, changes can be made for a lot of reasons, and it isn't a requirement that the music library change at the exact time they make a change with the on-air staff. (I'm also not studying anywhere near closely enough to know if the relative mix has evolved in the past month or so, but I do hear late 80s songs when listening, so they're already into that window you cite, though they need to have a bit more than six years to work with.)

In regards to the music..my favorite era of music is 1986-1992. I would love to see them advance to this.

Really, not many quality songs in your era of music unfortunately. Some yes absolutely, but not overwhelmingly like prior years and decades. I'm mean, what are you going to play? "Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd or "Batdance" by Prince? You will get some airplay for sure, but it will be here and there with what's left from an era containing genres of music not suited for classic hits radio. I don't see WOGL abandoning the 70's (and it's subsequent Philly sound) for quite some time, especially the second half.

Last edited:
Really, not many quality songs in your era of music unfortunately. Some yes absolutely, but not overwhelmingly like prior years and decades. I'm mean, what are you going to play? "Cold Hearted" by Paula Abdul, "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mix A Lot, "I Wanna Sex You Up" by Color Me Badd or "Batdance" by Prince? You will get some airplay for sure, but it will be here and there with what's left from an era containing genres of music not suited for classic hits radio. I don't see WOGL abandoning the 70's (and it's subsequent Philly sound) for quite some time, especially the second half.

What, there's a problem with those segues? :cool:

Looking just at the number ones, for simplicity sake, there's a ton of songs in the '80s portion of that range that can (and do based on their playlist) work. '90 to '92 gets a little tougher at the top of the chart but not impossible (of course in '92 there seemed to be an abnormally high number of long-term #1s limiting the supply for this little exercise--8 weeks at the top for Kriss Kross?). It's not like they'd be pulling only form those years, but as they move forward it's not as if they suddenly hit a totally barren wasteland (and the standard disclaimer applies--it's how audiences feel now, not then). Not to say there aren't challenges, but it's workable.

(of course in '92 there seemed to be an abnormally high number of long-term #1s limiting the supply for this little exercise--8 weeks at the top for Kriss Kross?)

Well I guess we can all blame the Soundscan era for this! That's why I never rank these #1's that are on top for 2-3 months at a time, with the real achievers of pre-1992 Soundscan. I might as well divide it up 1955-1991, 1992-2017, two distinct eras.

Well I guess we can all blame the Soundscan era for this! That's why I never rank these #1's that are on top for 2-3 months at a time, with the real achievers of pre-1992 Soundscan. I might as well divide it up 1955-1991, 1992-2017, two distinct eras.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that songs that actually sold well, were not as big of hits as those that may have?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom