What will or should WOGL use as replacements for Elvis & The Beatles? - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What will or should WOGL use as replacements for Elvis & The Beatles?

Quote Originally Posted by AM/FMRAINMAN View Post
    WOGL used to play the 70s and 80s but then stopped after the Scott Shannon Americas Greatest Hits launched. WOCL Sunny 105.9 is a CBS classic hits station and they carry the Casey Kasem 80s countdowns and the Scott Shannon show. I would love to hear those and the Shadoe Stevens ones after Casey left from 1988-1994. Those are def lost classics.
    I think WOGL stopped doing the AT40 countdowns in 2014, mainly because Casey Kasem died that year.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHoward View Post
    I think WOGL stopped doing the AT40 countdowns in 2014, mainly because Casey Kasem died that year.
    As a listener, I'll say I have little interest in replays of three- and four-decade old programs, even if the music is of my era. That's why I prefer, in theory, the 80s on 8 countdown on Sirius to replays of the 70s AT40 (the number of repeats in short order being a pet peeve is a different matter). In both cases, there's likely to be a bunch of dreck in the lower part of countdown, surrounding the random recognizable and still enjoyable song that was on its way up or down. (And sure, sometimes the dreck managed to make its way much higher, but when you get into about the top 15 or so, I find the ratio of dreck to songs that stand the test of time flips). What separates the VJ countdown is that its being put into today's context with changing information about some of the music, the artists, what would happen in the future and so forth. To me that's considerably preferable to hearing exactly what Casey Kasem had to say on whatever date (even the sometimes so-bad-they're-good long-distance dedications).

As good as the most of the music is on classic At-40's, I cannot stand the fact the many of the songs, especially in the mid-late 70's shows were chopped so much as to be even shorter than the 45rpm radio releases of the time. As great as Casey was, maybe a little less talk, less of the extras and recaps and more of the actual songs would make this more appealing as reruns today. And four hours to play 40 songs in the 80's (only ten songs per hour).....a bit long for my tastes.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Quote Originally Posted by oldies76 View Post
    And four hours to play 40 songs in the 80's (only ten songs per hour).....a bit long for my tastes.
    I don't think that's correct...there were some non-chart songs in the original show.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    I don't think that's correct...there were some non-chart songs in the original show.
    Long-distance dedications, songs that were topping other charts the same week ... what else? Casey also told some pretty lengthy stories to introduce some of the hits, and radio stations took commercial breaks during the show. So maybe a dozen songs an hour, total, got played. That would be only two or three less than the average oldies/classic hits station would play in a typical hour, and that station's jocks had to stick to a much tighter format.

Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    So maybe a dozen songs an hour, total, got played. That would be only two or three less than the average oldies/classic hits station would play in a typical hour, and that station's jocks had to stick to a much tighter format.
    That's about right. Some of those LDDs were as long as the song itself. He'd occasionally play oldies, five years ago this week, this song topped the chart.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    Sorry, I meant 10 actual AT 40 ranked songs. It may be up to 12-13 per hour if you include extras, LDD's and like you said, the song that was popular years before. Even in some shows I heard a previous week's top three recap to lead off the show, meaning that #40 didn't really begin until nearly :12 after or so. In other words, Casey could have shorten his show without all the fanfare and extra highlights.
    Celebrating 62 Years of Rock & Roll Memories!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567