• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What will or should WOGL use as replacements for Elvis & The Beatles?

WOGL used to play the 70s and 80s but then stopped after the Scott Shannon Americas Greatest Hits launched. WOCL Sunny 105.9 is a CBS classic hits station and they carry the Casey Kasem 80s countdowns and the Scott Shannon show. I would love to hear those and the Shadoe Stevens ones after Casey left from 1988-1994. Those are def lost classics.

I think WOGL stopped doing the AT40 countdowns in 2014, mainly because Casey Kasem died that year.

I think WOGL stopped doing the AT40 countdowns in 2014, mainly because Casey Kasem died that year.

As a listener, I'll say I have little interest in replays of three- and four-decade old programs, even if the music is of my era. That's why I prefer, in theory, the 80s on 8 countdown on Sirius to replays of the 70s AT40 (the number of repeats in short order being a pet peeve is a different matter). In both cases, there's likely to be a bunch of dreck in the lower part of countdown, surrounding the random recognizable and still enjoyable song that was on its way up or down. (And sure, sometimes the dreck managed to make its way much higher, but when you get into about the top 15 or so, I find the ratio of dreck to songs that stand the test of time flips). What separates the VJ countdown is that its being put into today's context with changing information about some of the music, the artists, what would happen in the future and so forth. To me that's considerably preferable to hearing exactly what Casey Kasem had to say on whatever date (even the sometimes so-bad-they're-good long-distance dedications).

As good as the most of the music is on classic At-40's, I cannot stand the fact the many of the songs, especially in the mid-late 70's shows were chopped so much as to be even shorter than the 45rpm radio releases of the time. As great as Casey was, maybe a little less talk, less of the extras and recaps and more of the actual songs would make this more appealing as reruns today. And four hours to play 40 songs in the 80's (only ten songs per hour).....a bit long for my tastes.

I don't think that's correct...there were some non-chart songs in the original show.

Long-distance dedications, songs that were topping other charts the same week ... what else? Casey also told some pretty lengthy stories to introduce some of the hits, and radio stations took commercial breaks during the show. So maybe a dozen songs an hour, total, got played. That would be only two or three less than the average oldies/classic hits station would play in a typical hour, and that station's jocks had to stick to a much tighter format.

So maybe a dozen songs an hour, total, got played. That would be only two or three less than the average oldies/classic hits station would play in a typical hour, and that station's jocks had to stick to a much tighter format.

That's about right. Some of those LDDs were as long as the song itself. He'd occasionally play oldies, five years ago this week, this song topped the chart.

I don't think that's correct...there were some non-chart songs in the original show.

Sorry, I meant 10 actual AT 40 ranked songs. It may be up to 12-13 per hour if you include extras, LDD's and like you said, the song that was popular years before. Even in some shows I heard a previous week's top three recap to lead off the show, meaning that #40 didn't really begin until nearly :12 after or so. In other words, Casey could have shorten his show without all the fanfare and extra highlights.

WCBS-FM just started airing Kid Kelly's Backtrax USA '80s show on Sunday nights. I wonder if WOGL will eventually add it as well.

Interesting thread.
So from an outsider to the Philly market here .....

Poster John Smith had a good line ... something about his life not revolving around the radio.
I'm one of those people outside the desired demo. WAY outside it (and not at the younger end). Yet there are instances such as paint jobs and ceiling jobs where I need something for music and time, or a ball game, and maybe even get in some DX during beer breaks.
Anyway, I'm guessing that similar off-the-books mokes like me up this way are a bit luckier musically than similar folks in other places. Just this week, off a portable GE Superadio II in some kitchen, with me doing some cabinet work, I came across a spate of four consecutive FM stations that 'did it' for me musically.
91.9 W??? is a Christian Contemporary station that does things reeking of heresy, such as giving time and weather.
92.1 'Alt' is, I believe, WFUZ from Nanticoke. I used to enjoy the occasional Grunge, and they play Smashing Pumpkins.
92.3 WHNA-FM is 'Hanna-FM', short for 'Susquehanna'. It's tough to describe their format. I've literally heard everything there (at the same times of the day) from Bad Company to the Sunshine Company. They are quite a happy sounding station doing .... well, whatever they're doing.
92.5 'Gem 104' is one of those Oldies stations out of Scranton. I believe the Gem-104 network has six different relays. And lol -- yesterday they did a liner/separator that went something like 'the hits of the 60's, 70's and 80's' .... into 'Don't Be Cruel'!

I reiterate: That's four frequencies in a row. The GE SR II can pick em all out, and so can the car radio. It's like being dealt four of a kind.
KYW comes in well enough to provide an approximation of the weather forecast up our way.

After packing up the van and going home, though, it's the internet for music for the rest of the day I feel I need music.

Like John Smith suggests (if I'm not putting words in his mouth that much): even in my retirement from 26 years in the industry, and even in my continued interest in radio from a discussion and a DXing approach, I'm no longer a slave or addict to it or for it. We're just fortunate up this way to live in an unrated area where the dials aren't as constipated as those in the huge markets are.

I never listened to them since they were solid gold radio, WCAU-FM, under the great Diamond Jim, too rhythmic for my taste, BUT, the last few days I passed them by and heard the DC5, Monkees, Manfred Mann, Turtles, Beach Boys, Hermans Hermits, and other great mid 60's tunes, this was a shock from the heavy flavored R&B, Soul, playlist I was used to from their format, am I missing something, from a greatest hits station, or have they always sounded this refreshing.

Last edited:
I do not think they would run this, being they do "Back to the 80s" Sunday from 10am-9pm. I mean they could run this. I would prefer them run Casey and Shadoe's AT40. I do not think that they will...but would love to see this.

I do not think they would run this, being they do "Back to the 80s" Sunday from 10am-9pm. I mean they could run this. I would prefer them run Casey and Shadoe's AT40. I do not think that they will...but would love to see this.
With my listener hat on, I'm fine with the regular format, automated or otherwise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom