• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Leo laporte/ the techguy pre-empted and replaced on kfi

Interestingly, KFI this morning pre-empted an apparent network replay of Leo LaPorte's "Tech Guy" show (because he is on vacation) and replaced him with a local host (who was really good).

Big Leo fan, and noticed that as well. I know that he pre-recorded a bunch of telephone calls to be played during his absence, and wonder when/if they will use those. He also announced that Scott Wilkinson would be a substitute host, and I'll be interested to see if that transpires...

I commend KFI for:

1. Noticing that Laporte would be on vacation.
2. Substituting live content instead.

Most stations these days sound like they're programmed by zombies who couldn't care less about this, much less day-old weather forecasts, expired ad copy, etc. etc.

Does it make a difference? I hope so. KFI's ratings seem to support that compared, for example, with iHeart's NY station WOR.

I commend KFI for:

1. Noticing that Laporte would be on vacation.
2. Substituting live content instead.

Most stations these days sound like they're programmed by zombies who couldn't care less about this, much less day-old weather forecasts, expired ad copy, etc. etc.

Does it make a difference? I hope so. KFI's ratings seem to support that compared, for example, with iHeart's NY station WOR.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Big Leo fan, and noticed that as well. I know that he pre-recorded a bunch of telephone calls to be played during his absence, and wonder when/if they will use those.

Kim Komando does the same thing. At random days and times I will see on her Facebook Page that she's taping her show and the studio lines are open from x:xx-x:xx. It's definitely better than best of shows.

Yep that was him he was great. I called him one day looking for a recommendation for a laptop to my surprise I actually reached him off air and had a nice 15 minute discussion about the pros and cons of various models. You don't see that too often in radio nowadays as a lot of the on air "talent" seem to be big blowhards to pompous to talk to listeners.

As I recall Jeff Levy and Meiinda Lee both had programs on KFI. They were enticed to jump to KNX by David G Hall, who had formerly been with KFI as Program Director before himself going across town.. Both remained there for several years, with Jeff passing away in 2015 .Melinda's program was to have ended in 2015 with a new manager who favored straight news according to some reports, but according to website listings is still heard on Saturday mornings.

As for Leo LaPorte, his excellent program om KFI is also widely syndicated. Locally, while Leo was on vacation, substitute live hosts were inserted. However, the pre-recorded versions of the program aired elsewhere - among other places late afternoon Sunday on KOGO in San Diego..

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom