• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EAS for HD2 and HD3 stations

Can't find much info on this (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place). Is EAS required for HD2 and HD3 stations? If so, is the EAS encoder located at the HD2 and HD3 stations? Unique situation here, what if HD2 station is leasing frequency to station out of state. Can out of state EAS info be broadcast on HD2's frequency, even if both stations cover the same general counties, but one is in one state, and the other station is in another state?

Yes, EAS is required for HD2 and HD3. If you have the SAGE ENDEC EAS unit, you can add on a RP-2 multi-station relay panel to share the same EAS unit with the HD channels, but you'll likely have to locate the EAS unit at the transmitter site or at point where all three (primary analog/HD1, HD2, and HD3) are available together to feed into the RP-2 such as at a main studio ahead of the exporter and importer. You might want to consult an FCC attorney or contact the FCC Audio Division staff directly.

Second on that /\

I have done it a few way's; currently, I have a dedicated SAGE that serves both the HD2 and the station its simulcasting, same thing for HD3 and its simulcast. I have also done the MSRP route to serve multiple HD2s on several co-located stations. The bottom line is you have to have and EAS unit that serves the appropriate content to your COL for the HD2/HD3 stations.

Got it. HD-2 station has their own EAS. They're covered. No problem there. Anybody know if it would be illegal to also broadcast the originating station's EAS info? Originating station's EAS info would be overridden if HD-2's EAS kicks in. Again, we do share a county or two, since we're right across the state border. Without an extra profanity delay unit, I'm having a hard time giving them what they want - a pre-EAS, post-profanity delay feed, without screwing everything I already have in place (Profiler, Stream, in studio EAS).

Without an extra profanity delay unit, I'm having a hard time giving them what they want - a pre-EAS, post-profanity delay feed

If you are leasing an HD subchannel to some other station, I would think the burden of providing the correct feed should be on them. Assuming you are not also serving as their engineer, that sort of headache should be their engineer's problem to solve.

Actually, the other station is leasing their HD-2 station to us. They have their own EAS box in place. I'm referring to the feed I'm sending them. They want a pre-(our) EAS, post profanity delay feed. I can only give them a post-EAS, post-profanity, feed, because of the way I have all of my audio routed. Let's say that this is temporary. Is it against FCC rules to broadcast another state's EAS? Again, the main EAS for the HD-2 station will take priority.

Actually, the other station is leasing their HD-2 station to us. They have their own EAS box in place. I'm referring to the feed I'm sending them. They want a pre-(our) EAS, post profanity delay feed. I can only give them a post-EAS, post-profanity, feed, because of the way I have all of my audio routed. Let's say that this is temporary. Is it against FCC rules to broadcast another state's EAS? Again, the main EAS for the HD-2 station will take priority.

I had a similar situation last year - we leased an HD3 to feed a translator. We had to locate our satellite receiver and associated equipment at the HD station's transmitter site since their import / export equipment was located at the transmitter and there was no easy way to feed HD3 audio from the HD station's studio location - no room for the satellite dish, etc. The HD station's studio fed analog / HD / HD2 post EAS audio to the transmitter site via digital STL, but had no additional capacity to accommodate HD3 audio without considerable expense. To satisfy EAS requirements, we installed our own EAS unit and fed it with the HD station's main channel analog audio. The EAS unit was set to auto relay any EAS activity received from the main channel analog audio.

RFB

I wonder if there's a severe storm in the area with an iHeartRadio HD station that has a online stream (such as Hit Nation, or iHeart80's), will the stream on iHeart.com have the EAS activated as well? My prediction is, I don't think it does, but I don't know, exactly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom