• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Country Music Stations/Glen Campbell

I was wondering if anyone knows any country music radio stations (those that play today's current country hits) played Glen Campbell's "I'm Not Gonna Miss You," when it first came out in 2014. I live in St. Louis and we have two FM stations here that play new country music, but I don't remember hearing that song on either of these stations even though it reached #21 on the charts. I'm wondering if none of the new country stations in the U.S. played the song at all and that it just charted, due to sales and downloads. Anybody remember this song and know anything about its airplay or lack thereof?

Which chart did it go to #21 on? That will probably answer your question.

Typically someone like Glen Campbell is not considered "new country," even though they may have new songs.

I will tell you that The Band Perry did a cover version of Gentle On My Mind for the soundtrack album to Glen's movie, and that song charted in the airplay Top 40, and won a Grammy.

Typically someone like Glen Campbell is not considered "new country," even though they may have new songs.

I will tell you that The Band Perry did a cover version of Gentle On My Mind for the soundtrack album to Glen's movie, and that song charted in the airplay Top 40, and won a Grammy.

I'm guessing it went No. 21 on the Americana chart, which is a vague, and not commercially viable, format. Most stations running it are college and other noncomms.

You're right in that Campbell wouldn't fit on contemporary radio in 2014. When George Strait finally retired, he and Reba McEntire were the only '80s country stars still getting airplay. Not sure if Reba is still charting, as it's been a few years since I've listened. It's tough even for '90s stars to crack playlists now -- Garth Brooks, while selling albums and packing arenas and Vegas, is being virtually ignored. Ronnie Dunn wanted to have a solo career after Brooks & Dunn ended, but radio tossed him on the scrap heap after a couple of moderately successful singles. Both men are over 50, and that is death at hit country radio these days.

The song peaked at #21 on the Country Singles chart and #90 on the Hot 100 per Wikipedia.

The song peaked at #21 on the Country Singles chart and #90 on the Hot 100 per Wikipedia.

How much did actual airplay figure in those ratings. Campbell's battle with Alzheimer's disease was big news in 2014 and there was a lot of interest in his final recordings, but I didn't think country stations (or even the odd CHR or AC, as the Hot 100 ranking might have indicated) were playing that single at all.

#21 on the Country Airplay chart would not be all that many spins. This week #21 is only 2389 spins across around 250 monitored stations. Is it plausible that 30 or 40 classic-leaning stations were playing Campbell a lot, with a 50 more giving token spins? It seems possible, but I don't follow the charts closely enough to say "yup, that's how it happened."

I don't know how Ms. Reba's new 2 CD Gospel recording is charting but yours truly is spinning it heavy, on Jesus Radio Selma. (Love this CD set) (It's one I would highly recommend.) (The songs are beautiful indeed.)

Soon as I get some Glenn Campbell Gospel songs, plan on spinning them too. (His voice is still amazing to me.)

Our local Classic Country station is playing those singers plus many more of those that modern ones wants to leave out on purpose.

Dan <><

Last edited:
#21 on the Country Airplay chart would not be all that many spins. This week #21 is only 2389 spins across around 250 monitored stations. Is it plausible that 30 or 40 classic-leaning stations were playing Campbell a lot, with a 50 more giving token spins? It seems possible, but I don't follow the charts closely enough to say "yup, that's how it happened."

Would normally 100% classic country stations that played the Campbell single because a lot of their listeners were thinking about Glen at the time count toward the Billboard country chart ranking, or are stations that usually play nothing but catalog material not monitored?

There's the occasional fluke like Johnny Cash's "Hurt" getting airplay on alternative stations (as well as "I Walk The Line" in their gold library) but I'm not aware of anything happening like that for Glen's song. 80s and 90s country is now the purview of "Nash Icons" and copycat formats.

....are stations that usually play nothing but catalog material not monitored?

Correct. To be monitored and show up in airplay charts, you need to be the top-rated country station in the market. Typically that's not the classic station.

And a classic station isn't going to play a current song.

There's the occasional fluke like Johnny Cash's "Hurt" getting airplay on alternative stations

Even that song, with all the attention it got, never charted in the Top 30:

US Alternative Songs (Billboard)

US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)

That's why I'm questioning that Campbell made it to #21 in Airplay.

the problem with County stations playing this is the fact that Country music today is pretty much "Southern Pop/Contempory Hits" used to, Country really was a true music format but now, it's evolved big time. maybe Country should be split up into groups like Southern Rock (which existed before today's country music), Country Rap (which would be rap acts with a country twang), Southern Pop (what Taylor Swift was before she turned to full pop, Carey Underwood, and all female country acts of the late 2000s to today), Bro Country (male country acts that are very into the Bro-man culture, acts would be Florida Georgia Line and Luke Bryan to name a few), outlaw country (the outlaw country acts that aren't traditional county), and the classic country acts of 60s-2000s.

pretty much, Country isn't country anymore and Arron Lewis (a current country music artist who used to be the lead singer of a Nu-Metal rock band, Staind which their heyday was late 90s to mid 2000s) wrote a song about it called "That Ain't Country". the ironic thing is, a rock singer wrote a country song about Country music changing to something that it isn't anymore.

maybe Country should be split up into groups like Southern Rock (which existed before today's country music), Country Rap (which would be rap acts with a country twang), Southern Pop (what Taylor Swift was before she turned to full pop, Carey Underwood, and all female country acts of the late 2000s to today), Bro Country (male country acts that are very into the Bro-man culture, acts would be Florida Georgia Line and Luke Bryan to name a few), outlaw country (the outlaw country acts that aren't traditional county), and the classic country acts of 60s-2000s.

But it's NOT splitting up. All but the last two subgenres you list coexist on 2017 country radio, which makes country music, as much as we fans of older styles may gripe about it, much healthier than rock, which has splintered its diminishing fan base to such an extent that no current-based rock format can be much more than a marginal radio presence in most markets.

Your link shows # 1 songs.

If you click on the dates along the left side, you get the complete Top 50 for each week. I went through each week, and could not find the song.

Cash also won a Grammy for Hurt, and his song peaked at #56. So there is no chart requirement for a Grammy.

the problem with County stations playing this is the fact that Country music today is pretty much "Southern Pop/Contempory Hits" used to, Country really was a true music format but now, it's evolved big time.

So you're saying Urban Cowboy was real country? Country radio plays what's popular, not what musicologists like. It's been that way forever.

I was wondering if anyone knows any country music radio stations (those that play today's current country hits) played Glen Campbell's "I'm Not Gonna Miss You," when it first came out in 2014. I live in St. Louis and we have two FM stations here that play new country music, but I don't remember hearing that song on either of these stations even though it reached #21 on the charts. I'm wondering if none of the new country stations in the U.S. played the song at all and that it just charted, due to sales and downloads. Anybody remember this song and know anything about its airplay or lack thereof?

The song peaked at #21 on Billboard's "HOT COUNTRY SONGS" chart, which is determined by Nielsen Media's proprietary analysis of sales data, streaming activity and radio audience airplay impressions (via BDS). The song failed to register on Billboard's "HOT COUNTRY AIRPLAY" chart, which strictly measures airplay exposure. This means the song's performance on the hybrid chart was predominantly thanks to sales and/or streaming. The sales/streaming also coincided with the release of the "I'll Be Me" documentary, which featured the song.

An analysis of the song's airplay shows only 5 country stations in the nation (Des Moines, Toledo, Nashville, Chattanooga and Huntsville, AL) have played it more than 100 times total. Power rotation records on most country stations will break the 100 play mark in 2-3 weeks, so the airplay the song has received is extremely minimal at best.

The sales/streaming also coincided with the release of the "I'll Be Me" documentary, which featured the song.

Sales of the album were pretty small too: About 25,000 copies.

To be honest, it was an awful song. Glen's voice was overly processed, and it sounded like John Lennon's Imagine.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom