• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Energy Onix MK12 estimated value?

amy2014

My boss just asked me to find an estimated value for an Energy Onix MK12 transmitter that came with a station acquisition for tax purposes, but I can't find one anywhere online. Anyone have any estimates I could throw at him? Thanks in advance!

My boss just asked me to find an estimated value for an Energy Onix MK12 transmitter that came with a station acquisition for tax purposes, but I can't find one anywhere online. Anyone have any estimates I could throw at him? Thanks in advance!

Depending on the year and condition, maybe $2,500.00 if you were to sell it. Because Energy Onix and Bernie are no longer with us, most of the value would be for scrap parts.

I just found the description in our engineer's site walk. He said, "the transmitter is in poor condition, is over 20 years old and the manufacturer has been out of business for several years now. Transmitter replacement is a high priority." Does that lower your estimation at all?

Depending on the year and condition, maybe $2,500.00 if you were to sell it. Because Energy Onix and Bernie are no longer with us, most of the value would be for scrap parts.

With the advancements in technology and efficiency, added to the defunct status of the manufacturer, I'd pay someone to come and get it... or give it away to someone who saw some scrap value.

That said, if you are near the Mexican border, there are lots of engineers there who will take the time to rebuild and even enhance junk transmitters. With all the new FM licenses granted there, there may be some residual "as is" value with buyer dismantling and carting the rig away.

My recollection of my first experience with Energy Onix was an inspection of a transmitter on the NAB floor. I moved my hand along the front panel frame as i bent in to look at the workmanship. I felt a cutting sensation, and had a nice, wet cut on the hand from a ground strap that was run down the inside edge of the door frame... and obviously cut-to-size with shears! That experience may color my valuation of the rig. I'd rather have a TE-3 exciter, which would actually be fun to play with.

Check with the engineer that did the site walk. He could give you some suggestions.

RFB

It may help you put a valuation on your Energy Onyx to see this listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENERGY-ONIX...570142?hash=item4664c8779e:g:iiwAAOSwcB5ZMlDX

Current price is just over$10.00. Free shipping!

Notice the "Buy Now" price......the guy's NOT taking bids anymore....BUT....
Something's not quite right here.....that same "NO BIDDING!!! BUY NOW....." spiel is repeated on another sale the guy's doing for a Nicom 1k transmitter.....SAME wording, SAME price breakout, etc...
Coincidence??? Uhhhhh.....:confused:
My take --- Caveat emptor!!!

I thought the whole thing was suspicious. It's said to be in Seattle. If it was actually used here, it would have been on our local classical station. I know very little about their technical plant, but would just about guarantee it unlikely they'd ever use such a box, or leave it in that condition when they were done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom