• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Former Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega dies at 83

H

Hot Hits

Military commander, drug trafficker, CIA informant, dictator, convicted murderer: The strongman Gen. Manuel Noriega wore many labels during his tortuous path to — and fall from — the heights of power in Panama. Announcing Noriega's death at age 83 Tuesday, Panama's president said it "closes a chapter in our history."

Panama's President Juan Carlos Varela announced Noriega's death via Twitter. And while the cause of death wasn't immediately reported, Noriega had recently been dealing with complications from brain surgery; in March, it was reported that he was in a coma.

Military commander, drug trafficker, CIA informant, dictator, convicted murderer: The strongman Gen. Manuel Noriega wore many labels during his tortuous path to — and fall from — the heights of power in Panama. Announcing Noriega's death at age 83 Tuesday, Panama's president said it "closes a chapter in our history."

I have a radio story related to Noriega. He was notorious for controlling media in Panamá.

In the mid-80's I was programming an FM station in Panamá city via my syndication company. The owner's cluster included a news and commentary station on AM; it was critical of the Noriega government. As told to me by one of the managers, they looked out one morning and found their building surrounded by military vehicles and tanks. A loudspeaker order everyone out. Immediately they started shelling the building, and it caught fire and was completely destroyed, including all 5 radio stations.

That was Noriega.

Did he die in jail? I thought that once he had served out his sentence here in the US
we had handed him over to some European country to face separate charges?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom