• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Hot 104.7 VS 99.7 KKCK

The Radio Mistress

Inactive
Inactive User
These two stations kind of butt heads in the Sioux Falls area with CHR.
Hot 104.7 has a few distinct advantages. 1) It's run by a larger company with more access to resources, talent, and guidance.
2) The signal in Sioux Falls is easier to get in buildings than the more distant KKCK broadcast
3) It directly serves Sioux Falls

KKCK however is an interesting station.
1) This is the long running, heritage CHR in Marshall, MN, also serving the Brookings, SD area (the next largest community in their local coverage area.) KKCK has been running some form of Top 40 nearly as long as KCLD/St. Cloud. This station had its Sioux Falls ratings heyday surviving as the de-facto CHR in this market before Hot signed on in 1997.
2) The music mix is an intriguing, and it seems like a custom tailored fit for a rural Midwestern market that gets the 12-45 audience by default.
3) When it's full power, it has a large signal that covers much of the I-29 and I-90 corridors in Southwest Minnesota and Eastern South Dakota.
4) Being independently owned, It offers some different music than more traditional sounding CHR stations in bigger markets. They tend to more Rock oriented than a typical CHR in 2017, aggressive on a broad range of new music in the CHR, Alternative, Rock, Modern AC/Hot AC, and indie pop or rock. Occasionally they're even jumping early on Rhythmic, Dance, or Rap track, but it doesn't usually make "major" deviations like that. However over the past 10-15 years, they've subtlety done better sliding in rhythmic crossover hits much better than Cumulus was on their brand of "CHR." I'm sure indie and major record labels enjoy them for being more adventurous and still having cajones to take risks on songs in an era when stations are playing it safer with new music.
5) KKCK is delivers news, sports, weather, and community information (and some play-by-play) mixed with music, especially mornings and middaysYou'll hear community calendars, closings, college calendars, lost pets, school cafeteria menus, obituaries, etc., like typical small town live and local FULL SERVICE radio banter. The imaging sounds like its attempting to sound old school. Their jocks do every commercial, unedited/unscripted winners played on-air. I have to give them credit for being live and local in most day parts, and parts of the weekends.

Let me know what you guys think about these two stations, and keep in mind KKCK is an institution in their markets, despite the odds against them if they decided to target Sioux Falls more and directly engage Hot for the CHR audience.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom