• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Gregg Allman, Soulful Trailblazer of Southern Rock, Dies at 69

H

Hot Hits

Gregg Allman, the soulful singer-songwriter and rock n' blues pioneer who founded The Allman Brothers Band with his late brother, Duane, and composed such classics as "Midnight Rider," "Melissa" and the epic concert jam "Whipping Post," has died at age 69, Billboard has learned. He was diagnosed with hepatitis C in 1999 and underwent a liver transplant in 2010.

Except he didn't write or sing Ramblin' Man. That was all Dickey Betts. He's still alive.
That would be news to Gregg?

Gregg Allman – vocals, organ, rhythm guitar on "Wasted Words", backing vocals on "Ramblin' Man"
Dickey Betts – lead guitar, vocals on "Ramblin' Man" and "Pony Boy", slide guitar on "Wasted Words"
Berry Oakley – bass guitar on "Wasted Words" and "Ramblin' Man"
Jai Johanny Johanson – drums, congas on "Ramblin' Man" and "Jessica"
Butch Trucks – drums, percussion, tympani on "Jessica", congas on "Come and Go Blues" and "Jelly Jelly"
Chuck Leavell – piano, backing vocals on "Ramblin' Man", electric piano on "Jessica" and "Come and Go Blues"
Lamar Williams – bass guitar

That would be news to Gregg?

Gregg Allman – vocals, organ, rhythm guitar on "Wasted Words", backing vocals on "Ramblin' Man"

Where does it say that he wrote or sang the song? He is not the lead vocalist. That's very clear in what you posted. All he did was backing vocals.

As I said, Dickey Betts wrote Ramblin' Man. It is his song. He sings lead vocals. If you're going to honor Gregg Allman, you should play a song that he wrote and sings, like Midnight Rider or Whippin' Post. It's like memorializing John Lennon by playing Yesterday.

Where does it say that he wrote or sang the song? He is not the lead vocalist. That's very clear in what you posted. All he did was backing vocals.

As I said, Dickey Betts wrote Ramblin' Man. It is his song. He sings lead vocals. If you're going to honor Gregg Allman, you should play a song that he wrote and sings, like Midnight Rider or Whippin' Post. It's like memorializing John Lennon by playing Yesterday.

Can't you leave this guy alone in Death. I never said what he wrote, my thread came from Billboard, take it up with them you Big A

He was married to Cher for awhile, IIRC......
Still LOVE to crank up "Ramblin' Man" now and then....!!;)
I like the song too, and there's another one with a similar title by Waylon Jennings.

I was reading that he and Cher toured together. Big mistake. They had very different audiences and those audiences didn't get along.

"I'm a Ramblin' Man."

The irony is the Allman Brothers song was first in 1973. Waylon's was 1974. The story is that Dickey Betts wrote it as a country song, and was going to pitch it to a country artist. But the band needed songs to fill out the Brothers & Sisters album, so he offered it to them. They felt his version was too country, so they rocked it up a bit more. Had Les Dudek play a killer guitar solo. And it was the biggest hit of their career. But Gregg had very little to do with it, and after Dickey left the band, they didn't do the song in concert.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom