• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

iHeart should've never tweaked KEGL's playlist

MarkW

Star Participant
So much for the idea of acquiring & assimilating disenfranchised 102-1 The Edge listeners...

All KEGL has done by tweaking its playlist is tick off some of its existing, longtime listeners without making inroads at all with former Edge listeners.

People who used to listen to The Edge aren't suddenly going to listen to KEGL in droves simply because KEGL decided to make changes to 20% of its music rotation. Former Edge listeners aren't going to sit through a bunch of stuff they don't like simply to hear a song they do happen to enjoy two or three times an hour.

Corporate radio programmers are such morons! What if Pepsi went away? Would Coke change 20% of its formula in an effort to appease Pepsi drinkers? What about MSNBC? Would Fox News suddenly instruct Sean Hannity to espouse liberal viewpoints for one-fifth of his show?

The Edge disappears, and KEGL's ratings (within a few months of making their own tweaks) erode.

Apaprently, KEGL did an insufficient job of researching the effects its playlist changes would have on its existing listener base.

So much for the idea of acquiring & assimilating disenfranchised 102-1 The Edge listeners...
What if Pepsi went away? Would Coke change 20% of its formula in an effort to appease Pepsi drinkers?

Remember the "new Coke" experiment back in the mid 1980s? Been there, done that...

R

Last edited:
S
People who used to listen to The Edge aren't suddenly going to listen to KEGL in droves simply because KEGL decided to make changes to 20% of its music rotation. Former Edge listeners aren't going to sit through a bunch of stuff they don't like simply to hear a song they do happen to enjoy two or three times an hour.

That statement fails to recognize that the average listener uses 6 different stations every week. So a portion of the Edge listeners were shared with KEGL and a portion of KEGL listeners had shared listening time with The Edge.

When one of the two went away, it was an opportunity for KEGL to decide where the new "sweet spot" was. From the mix, it seems that they found the greatest listening potential was to be found by nudging KEGL slightly in the direction of the void that The Edge left. Any KEGL losses on the other side were likely calculated to be accompanied by greater gains on the other side.

Corporate radio programmers are such morons!

Thanks.

What if Pepsi went away? Would Coke change 20% of its formula in an effort to appease Pepsi drinkers?

Nobody drinks Pepsi and Coke at the same time; Coke drinkers accept Pepsi if Coke is not available and the same applies in reverse with Pepsi drinkers. If Pepsi went away, it's likely Coke would focus on food service locations that currently pour Pepsi products and on trying to capture more of them rather than letting them go to other flavors or non-carbonated products.

In the beverage market, the biggest competition for Coke is the gradual change in consumption habits towards non-carbonated products and non-surgary options. And, just like in radio, many consumers use a variety of packaged beverages regularly, so the battle is for share, not just usage (cume).

The Edge disappears, and KEGL's ratings (within a few months of making their own tweaks) erode.

Or other things in the market, such as the panel, changed. Overall, it looks like they spiked and then settled into a new, higher level than before.

Apaprently, KEGL did an insufficient job of researching the effects its playlist changes would have on its existing listener base.

In 25-54 KEGL was in the mid-3's from June to November of last year. In December, it shot up to the mid-4's, and then spent two months at the 5 level, and now is having individual weeks in the 4.0 to 4.5 range. So they seem to have added better than a half share to the the aftermath. They were 9th to 12th before, and now 4th to 9th, depending on the week. The 18-49 increases from June to November of last year to Jan to April are similarly broadly improved. It sounds like they made a good decision, and one that increases their position on core demo rankers and that means they will get on more buys.

That's how morons think.

part of The Eagle's format tweak issue is a combo of the older rock from the late 60s to early 90s needs to be moved over to Lonestar 92.5 since it's the Classic rock station and the older hits that KEGL plays that's old enough to hear on a classic rock station needs to be on 92.5.

also they need to move Russ Martin to 92.5 as well as his show fits 92.5 better than the The Eagle as Russ hates the newer rock music anyway and also half of his listeners are older and prefer 92.5 for their rock anyway.

if i was in charge of the rock stations in the DFW area, i would make 97. 1 The Eagle the new rock station where their hits can only go back to 25 years ago and Lonestar 92.5 would have all the older classic rock hits with the newest classic hits coming from 1991/1992 and have Russ Martin move to Lonestar 92.5 and have his show still be 3 PM (or as soon as he comes on after 3PM) to 7 PM (he ends the show between 7 to 7:40 PM).

I am a disenfrachised Edge listener, and I wouldn't listen to KEGL because I don't like hair bands and/or classic rock.

I would listen to 91.7, though. It has a nice Indie rock, college format appeal to it. When I'm driving up to see my Astros sweep the Rangers late Saturday/early Sunday, I'll tune in when I get to Waco.

KEGL is decent. They mainly added older stuff that KDGE played. It's kind of crazy to hear them play some of those songs that you're not used to hearing on there.

Alternative has been dropping like flies in Texas these past few months. We lost half the stations in the state since November. It's down to three now. I don't think it's been that low since the early 90's.

Just wait until the CBS Radio-Entercom merger closes. I bet Entercom will blow up one of their newly-acquired signals and bring Alternative back to Dallas-Fort Worth.

While it certainly can't be ruled out, I don't see Entercom bringing alternative back to DFW. Alternative is losing stations for a reason. The product doesn't appeal to enough people to generate the profit margins most owners want. Plus, the CBS cluster bills quite well. You don't normally blow up stations that make good money, especially for a format that's been struggling.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom