• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wazx 1550

When 1550 was behind the old shopping center, the pattern was much "looser". There was a decent signal across Atlanta. The night signal was 500 watts and was pointed toward downtown. When they moved they lost a lot of coverage on the night and day pattern.

They didn't move all that far from the old shopping center site. What caused them to lose the 500 watt night service?

David is correct on the poor conductivity, but the previous site was definitely superior to the new site.

They're not going to build an array on raw land they would have to buy. They'll either use what they have or split the bill with someone else. The "angle" I saw was the 50kW hardware in house and the 4 existing towers that they could use to set up a night pattern. Now you're just paying for an engineering consultant and someone to push paper to the FCC. If they were on a single stick with a 5000W transmitter, I would say fuhgeddaboutit.

I was stating back when they put up the current location, They had freedom to find a new COL and they were spending the money anyways, They could have done better. They could have moved to a different part of town, even around an Airport. 1550 can work on less than 150 feet so FAA clearance would not have been an issue. 1080's site with an extra tower or two and a COL of Kennesaw would have been better than what they have now.

Last edited:

As mentioned in my prior post, 50 kw on 1550 in an area with terrible ground conductivity is just not enough, even non-directional, to cover the market. And the protection requirements to the two primary users of 1550, Mexico and Canada, make night operation even more problematic. Once AM started its decline in listening, it was likely not worth the money to try to get a major improvement on this facility.

One of the few successful AMs at 1500 or above eventually had to move to FM or die: WTOP in Washington, DC. 50 kw fulltime on 1500, but it could not cover the whole market. The only remaining really successful high-dial station I can think of in a larger metro is KFBK in Sacramento, but it is 50 kw fulltime with a less restricted pattern, a Franklin antenna system and great ground conductivity. The Atlanta station has none of those positive factors.

In fact, of 520 US AM stations between 1500 and 1600, only 10 bill over $100,000 a month and of those, 3 are paid religion and one is Asian ethnic in format. The indications are that, unless you have a very very good facility (DC, Cincinnati, NYC, Minneapolis, Bakersfield, Sacramento) with decent conductivity, pouring money into a station high on the dial is useless.

Is WLAC one of the 10?

Last edited:
When 1550 was behind the old shopping center, the pattern was much "looser". There was a decent signal across Atlanta. The night signal was 500 watts and was pointed toward downtown. When they moved they lost a lot of coverage on the night and day pattern.

To be class "B" at night (generally 250 watts or more) the station has to put a nighttime signal that covers the COL at night. The old site was did that in the 1960's. It was a major facilities change which required them cover the now much larger Smyrna. Once again they might have kept the nighttime service had they been a little creative with the COL. 680 uses North Atlanta which doesn't exist anymore. I believe COL's do not even have to be incorporated cities. 820 was going to go into Sandy Springs which IIRC was not incorporated at the time.

Once again they might have kept the nighttime service had they been a little creative with the COL. 680 uses North Atlanta which doesn't exist anymore. I believe COL's do not even have to be incorporated cities. 820 was going to go into Sandy Springs which IIRC was not incorporated at the time.

WPZE-FM has a CoL of Mableton, which isn't incorporated. Strictly speaking, WCNN should have a CoL of Brookhaven, which is basically the old city of North Atlanta; not only does North Atlanta not exist anymore (and had already been disincorporated by the time WRNG went on the air), but it's been superseded by a new jurisdiction.

820 was actually shot down by the FCC because Sandy Springs wasn't incorporated at the time.

Speaking of WLAC, if you want to see how dial position makes a difference, compare WSM and WLAC. WSM is easy to pick up in Atlanta at night (probably the easiest of the class A clears besides WSB, natch), WLAC is much more difficult.

Heck, WSM almost makes it to ATL in the daytime (gets a little interference from WGST), where WLAC doesn't even make it to Chattanooga.

Speaking of WLAC, if you want to see how dial position makes a difference, compare WSM and WLAC. WSM is easy to pick up in Atlanta at night (probably the easiest of the class A clears besides WSB, natch), WLAC is much more difficult.

Heck, WSM almost makes it to ATL in the daytime (gets a little interference from WGST), where WLAC doesn't even make it to Chattanooga.

WLAC has a null toward the south at night.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WLAC-AM&h=N

All other things being equal, a low frequency transmitter will ALWAYS out-distance a higher frequency transmitter, simply because the physical wavelength, of the emitted RF, is longer.
The atomic clocks use the 60 KHz WWVB signal rather than the 5, 10, or 15 MHz WWV signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
What will probably happen to WAZX

Don't know if you've noticed, but real estate is taking off in Smyrna. I think its due to the Sun Trust Park stadium.
My lady friend who lives there has seen her assessment double in the past two years.
Most likely the real estate will be sold out from under the tower. Even worse, the property will come up as a tax sale
The site will be demolished and apartments will be built there.

Don't know if you've noticed, but real estate is taking off in Smyrna. I think its due to the Sun Trust Park stadium.
My lady friend who lives there has seen her assessment double in the past two years.
Most likely the real estate will be sold out from under the tower. Even worse, the property will come up as a tax sale
The site will be demolished and apartments will be built there.

The gentleman from California who owns WAZX has had a lot of success in real estate, so I would be very surprised if the property taxes were delinquent.

They probably should have diplexed with 1080. My only reservations in doing that would be the distance to the city center, and overcoming the noise floor. Kennesaw is a long way from the Perimeter on a noisy AM dial... I wonder, is 1080 one of the Atlanta AMs that are for sale? I remember visiting there during their "Music of Your Life" days, so long ago.

1080 just returned with another <apparently> brokered Spanish format. I have not heard anything about 1080 being for sale....

But for a price?

WLAC is the only class A on 1510. However it was not a “clear” channel like WSB. It “shared” the Frequency with class B’s: KGA Spokane Washington, WMEX Boston Mass. Both class B stations are directional towards the sea at night. IIRC the slight “null” to the south was a result of the northwest and southeast nulls and not really coverage issue. Being close to 1490 doesn't help either.

The in 1960’s WLAC was sort of the black WLS for the southeast.*

BTW they did news in the late 1960’s during the daytime and nick named “News and Blues” locally around Nashville.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WLAC#The_nighttime_R_.26_B_years.5Bcitation_needed.5D

It’s been decades but IIRC this Wikipedia is accurate. I was a listener when WLS's nighttime signal had issues.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom