• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Is K-HAT off the air?

C

CAVEMANager

On Saturday evening I took a ride up to Phoenix. I noticed that 1480 was off the air. Does that mean no liberal talk anymore? Or were they just having transmitter troubles at the time?

Also I noticed that the translator on 92.7 for KAZG fades out about 15 miles north of Casa Grande. In the daytime the AM gets out vastly better than that but 1440 isn't even mentioned on the liners.

On Saturday evening I took a ride up to Phoenix. I noticed that 1480 was off the air. Does that mean no liberal talk anymore? Or were they just having transmitter troubles at the time?

If a tree falls in the forest.....

Also I noticed that the translator on 92.7 for KAZG fades out about 15 miles north of Casa Grande. In the daytime the AM gets out vastly better than that but 1440 isn't even mentioned on the liners.

That's about right for a 250 watt translator. As far as Lumberyard 14~Forty goes, Mother Hubbard realized the only way to monetize the Goldmine was to pair it with a translator so those wornout oldies could be heard on FM. The strategy paid off...and that's why Mom coughed up $1.8m to purchase 92~Seven, perhaps the best translator in the market.

K-what? It's been KPHX since the early 1970s. And if they are off the air, you're probably the only one that's noticed.

KHAT USED to be the call sign for a daytime AM in Phoenix on 1480 kHz. But, that was many years ago. Ray Odom had to sell it when he bought KPHO radio (910) and turned it into KJJJ.

Of course, many of you already know that.:rolleyes:

KHAT USED to be the call sign for a daytime AM in Phoenix on 1480 kHz. But, that was many years ago. Ray Odom had to sell it when he bought KPHO radio (910) and turned it into KJJJ.

Ray Odom had to sell it when he bought KPHO radio (910) and turned it into KJJJ.

But not many people know KJ Country returned years later at 15~Ten as KJAA. Today the KJJJ calls reside in Laughlin.

I knew about the calls moving to Laughlin, but I was not aware about the KJAA calls on 1510.

And KRFM wound up in Show Low.

Most interesting.

And for fans of Lumberyard 14~Forty, the KPOK call letters now reside in Bowman, North Dakota. Instead of Goldminers, they have Cowpokes tendin' Country Classics on 13~Forty.

Hm. KPOK? How far back was that? I remember KDOT and KOPA, but not KPOK. I'll have to check some old Broadcasting Yearbooks online someday.

Nevermind. There were history cards in the FCC Database.

The call signs for KAZG have been (in no particular order): KPOK, KWBY, KDOT, KSGR, KOPA, and KXAM. (That's all I got from the history cards.)

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Last edited:
So the original question remains unanswered. Is 1480 on or off? Would take someone about five minutes to find out. Maybe it's not worth five minutes. As Ray Odom used to say at sunset, "Thanks for keeping your K-Hat on in the valley of the sun".

Even worse, KUUK is off the air and changed frequencies. YIKES!

So the original question remains unanswered. Is 1480 on or off? Would take someone about five minutes to find out. Maybe it's not worth five minutes.

Yes, it's on the air, but no one listens to it (except Nurse Jeff and me to verify the carrier was on) Could sell the land and put up some condos or single family homes if buyers wouldn't mind acres and acres of clunkers across the street at the Auto Auction. hmmmm, wonder if they have any Gremlins there?

Yes, it's on the air, but no one listens to it (except Nurse Jeff and me to verify the carrier was on) Could sell the land and put up some condos or single family homes if buyers wouldn't mind acres and acres of clunkers across the street at the Auto Auction. hmmmm, wonder if they have any Gremlins there?

Aisle "15" towards the end on the left. Call for the forklift if you see one in the stack that you like. We are partial to the grape purple one.

Aisle "15" towards the end on the left. Call for the forklift if you see one in the stack that you like. We are partial to the grape purple one.

A tip of the fez for the lead. Thanks to a large summer school enrollment at the Media Hut, we'll buy a round of Gremlins for everyone on this thread. (Please call Nurse Jeff if you'd like your name removed from the gift list)

Last edited:
A tip of the fez for the lead. Thanks to a large summer school enrollment at the Media Hut, we'll buy a round of Gremlins for everyone on this thread. (Please call Nurse Jeff if you'd like your name removed from the gift list)

But does it come with a KRIZ ball?

(Please call Nurse Jeff if you'd like your name removed from the gift list)

Yesssss! Consider me removed. I would much rather have a Matador, which sounds so macho....

... but isn't.

But does it come with a KRIZ ball?

Special order from our warehouse just west of Arizona City on the Gila Bend side. Bring your thermometer and asbestos gloves to avoid being burnt from hand to metal contact.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom