• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WNAX- looking for info regarding operators/ hosts of the 1930S

Hi there forum, I have been getting to know about my family history and there is some lore that I am trying to validate. does anyone know where I can find out who was hosting radio shows that were being broadcasted on air in the early 30's or perhaps someone here has the knowledge to offer me themselves.... at the risk of being long winded let me elaborate: from what i have been being told for as long as I can remember is that my grandfather was the host of the volunteer Lawerance Welk radio hour, and that my father was actually the very first child to be used In his often repeated skit where the child gets to conduct his orchestra.
I have found out that "Bud's" (my grandpa) sister Nancy had married into the Gurney family, and that the Gurneys purchased WNAX around that time.to advertise.their seed company, which i would think would produce the opportunity for him however I cannot find any actual validation on the matter one way or the other... anyone???? referrals? references? contacts? SOMETHING please.....
thank you for.you input in advance

Hi there forum, I have been getting to know about my family history and there is some lore that I am trying to validate. does anyone know where I can find out who was hosting radio shows that were being broadcasted on air in the early 30's or perhaps someone here has the knowledge to offer me themselves.... at the risk of being long winded let me elaborate: from what i have been being told for as long as I can remember is that my grandfather was the host of the volunteer Lawerance Welk radio hour, and that my father was actually the very first child to be used In his often repeated skit where the child gets to conduct his orchestra.
I have found out that "Bud's" (my grandpa) sister Nancy had married into the Gurney family, and that the Gurneys purchased WNAX around that time.to advertise.their seed company, which i would think would produce the opportunity for him however I cannot find any actual validation on the matter one way or the other... anyone???? referrals? references? contacts? SOMETHING please.....

My grandmother and her sisters had a western band back then and often performed on WNAX. They also worked on WHO Des Moines and KMBC in Kansas City. my aunt was leader and went by the name Lousianna Lou. There is a some information of her on the web and even a few tunes on Youtube and Itunes. She remembers meeting Lawrence Welk at WNAX and Ronald Reagan when she worked for WHO. My mom has a publicity photo of her from WHO. Not sure about WNAX

Last edited by a moderator:

There are several WNAX booklets at http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Station-Albums.htm in the Midwest / Upper Plains section. And specialty publisher Arcadia has a book on WNAX: https://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Products/9780738540191

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom