• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Too many LP and Translators on Phoenix Metro FM dial

Who in there right-mind at the FCC would License LP and Translators Broadcasting on the FM Broadcast Band in the Phoenix Metro with .2 and .4 separation from Full Power FM Broadcasters. Interference is bleeding and or blending into most of the LP/Translators and into some of the Full Power stations. This is not acceptable to me as part of the listening audience. It does not not help that there are unlicensed and Border Blasters out there an 92.7 KAZG as a LP/Translator signal is no longer to be received on any of my home radios (all with digital PLL tuners) due to additional LP/Translator & unlicensed and Border Blasters broadcasting at 92.5, 92.7 & 92.9.

It is true that nobody is representing the listening public. Translators and LPFMs are spreading like cancer. In a previous post I noted that in Tucson we no longer can hear KMLE due to a religious translator. Very recently a LPFM went on the air on KNIX's frequency. They program Mexican music as though there isn't already enough of that. Each of these translators generates vast zones of interference where neither the low power station nor the higher powered stations can be received.
Border Blasters are usually high powered stations in Mexico but I know of none that affects Arizona.

A border blaster is a Mexican licensed station that covers the market. No such critter here in the Valley. A rimshot is a non South Mountain FM that partially covers the market. Plenty of those critters here. Translators and LPFMs serve highly defined areas of the market, and are capped at set power levels. Even more of those critters here.

92~Seven is a translator. 92~Nine is a LPFM. Don't know anything about 92~Five. A good digital radio will keep them apart from each other. However, translators (such as 96~One) on the same frequency in the same market are a pain. What looks OK on papers filed with the FCC, doesn't always pass the smell test in reality.

Contrary to the delusions of many, a translator or a LPFM is designed to serve a small community, not a large metropolitan area.

The intention of a translator back in the day was to bring radio service to rural areas. Yeah, we saw how that ended up.

A LPFM is intended to serve several blocks; it's essentially supposed to be a neighborhood radio station.

I find it interesting that despite the claims of many that the FM dial is dead because people have dropped it for digital, everyone is trying to get a piece of FM no matter how small. Meanwhile folks like me can build an online station for next to nothing, build a decent sized audience... and struggle to find any revenue out there. Hell, even people with talent like Tim & Willy found that streaming costs more than it bills.

Perhaps I need remedial classes at the Media Hut.

Perhaps I need remedial classes at the Media Hut.

No problema! This Summer we're offering some real interesting courses, like

...How to enlarge the type size of your reply like the Old Gringo does (reading glasses included)

...Improving your resume to land that ideal gig at Shake Shack

...Understanding the fine art of back tracking, taught by KSWG management

...Deciding which AZ city you wish to visit this summer: Tent or Food

...Spanish 88.3, where you'll learn to count by identifying all the commercials on a non-commercial radio station

...Frying an egg on the sidewalk in July (hurry, only two more seats available)

They program Mexican music as though there isn't already enough of that.

I think there are too many stations playing American music...

See the point? There are dozens of kinds of "Mexican music" ranging from folk rock to mariachi, from ballads to pop, from norteña to classical.

The Phoenix market is one-third Hispanic. Tucson is 38% Hispanic. Why wouldn't there be a wide range of stations in Spanish in AZ's two biggest markets?

...How to enlarge the type size of your reply like the Old Gringo does (reading glasses included)

A wonderful course. I put it to use every day.

I think there are too many stations playing American music...

See the point? There are dozens of kinds of "Mexican music" ranging from folk rock to mariachi, from ballads to pop, from norteña to classical.

The Phoenix market is one-third Hispanic. Tucson is 38% Hispanic. Why wouldn't there be a wide range of stations in Spanish in AZ's two biggest markets?

Just because Phoenix and Tucson are 1/3 and over Hispanic does not mean that entire group listens to Spanish stations. Many Hispanic-Latino people are long time residents of Arizona, and many do not even speak Spanish. They listen to a variety of formats, not exclusively Spanish ones. Yes, they listen to English speaking formats also. I know and work (and even in my family) with many Hispanic Arizonans , and over half do not use Spanish even at home, let alone listen to Spanish language stations. Its fine to have many Spanish outlets that cater to different types of programming, the more the better for the listeners, but to assume that they capture every or even most Hispanic/Latino listeners is naive.

Just because Phoenix and Tucson are 1/3 and over Hispanic does not mean that entire group listens to Spanish stations. Many Hispanic-Latino people are long time residents of Arizona, and many do not even speak Spanish. They listen to a variety of formats, not exclusively Spanish ones. Yes, they listen to English speaking formats also. I know and work (and even in my family) with many Hispanic Arizonans , and over half do not use Spanish even at home, let alone listen to Spanish language stations. Its fine to have many Spanish outlets that cater to different types of programming, the more the better for the listeners, but to assume that they capture every or even most Hispanic/Latino listeners is naive.

Not to mention that ANYONE who doesn't speak English as their first language, can benefit
from listening to music and dialogue in English. I have learned several languages that way.......

I am quite... no, make that intimately... familiar with Hispanic listening patterns. In most Southwestern markets between 65% and 70% of Hispanics make use of Spanish language radio. Most bilinguals also use at least some, as the music often is the preferred choice even if a degree of English proficiency has been attained.

So, except for deep assimilation markets like San Antonio and Albuquerque, indeed most Hispanics do listen to Spanish language radio.

Not to mention that ANYONE who doesn't speak English as their first language, can benefit
from listening to music and dialogue in English. I have learned several languages that way.......

You have to actually like the music first.

A wonderful course. I put it to use every day.

Another Festivus miracle! When it comes to a meaningful radio edumacation, there's no place else quite like the Buckeye Media Hut. So if you can afford the tuition, we'll come up with a course just for you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom