• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Jim Garner to celebrate 4 decades at WPVI.

And I expect a real ratings race if he is ever let go, he retires, or passes away. I don't see them grooming any of their current talking heads to be taken seriously as an anchor for when the time eventually arises.

That significant a change, inevitable as it is, can certainly shift the dynamic, though discounting their overall consistency as a strength shouldn't be underestimated. (It also won't help if ABC is, comparatively, down in the dumps vis a vis the other networks when the time comes).

But as for a successor, I'm not sure what, exactly, would constitute being "groomed" (or "to be taken seriously") that they should be--and aren't--doing. Brian Taff, Monica Malpass, Rick Williams--they've all done significant fill in for the 6 and 11 pm editions. Monica, Tamala Edwards and Matt O'Donnell all get added exposure as rotating hosts of the Sunday public affairs show. And pretty much the full stable of anchors are sent on various high-profile assignments, on a seemingly fairly equitable basis (given there's only so much to go around).

The dude spends 40 years in the job, it's going to be a culture shock when he moves on, and I'm sure the management is keenly aware of the need for succession planning--doing far more behind the scenes than an average viewer would know. Assuming, and it seems a reasonably safe bet, they slide someone in-house up when the day arrives, it means a ripple effect on at least one more newscast/team. Do they finally go to two anchors, and move one team intact up--say Rick and Monica? Or do you go with the 4/10 pm team? Or do you pull a real surprise and move up someone from the morning show? And then how do you backfill from there? If you move Rick and Monica up, could Matt and Tam say hey, we're ready for the same move they made when the 5 pm show opened? (It's a reasonable argument.) Or do you not upset the apple cart and slide new folks into the 5 pm gig? Do you condense teams? Does weekender Walter Perez figure into the mix?

Lots of chess moves that can come from one retirement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom