• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Katy Perry--Bon Apetit. What happened?

It seems like this song vanished almost as soon as it got airplay. You basically had to blink to hear it. Did the song test that poorly, and now she is trying to sell her other single with Nicki Minaj. What are your thoughts?

It seems like this song vanished almost as soon as it got airplay. You basically had to blink to hear it. Did the song test that poorly, and now she is trying to sell her other single with Nicki Minaj. What are your thoughts?

It stiffed out.

When you see a song disappear from airplay 4 to 5 weeks after the first spin, it means that stations have had enough time to test the song. Also, this is enough time to see if the song is trending on on-demand services. If callout is negative and there is little on-demand streaming, you can be pretty sure it is a stiff.

It stiffed out.

When you see a song disappear from airplay 4 to 5 weeks after the first spin, it means that stations have had enough time to test the song. Also, this is enough time to see if the song is trending on on-demand services. If callout is negative and there is little on-demand streaming, you can be pretty sure it is a stiff.

The interesting thing is, as of Friday, it was released 3 weeks ago. Even "Pretty Girls" by Britney and Iggy had more success. It doesn't seem like there was enough of a chance to tell, but I do not know.

Who knows, she may be in for a bit of a career setback. She's not new and fresh anymore, at least not like she was, and she's chosen to devote a lot of her energy to efforts other than her music for a few years now. It may be that her new album represents less of an effort on her part than her prior work, and the fans have noticed.

Has Katy Perry had a stiff before? Haven't all of her singles been huge hits?

Chained to the Rhythm was a moderate success. A upbeat song but the negative lyrics probably didn't help. Bon Apetit is in at #38 this week on the BDS and has been frequent rotation on Ih_rt stations. Lryrics, and the strange video will probably not help this one.

I don't want to sound rude but how can any human being with ears not know after 1 listen that Bon Apetit was garbage and would test in a million years? After 40 seconds in I messaged my pd and said avoid the new Katy Perry at all costs, don't add it don't play it, its gonna bomb. My PD was in full agreement.
It got spins from some Iheart stations as a courtesy really as KIIS had her at their Wango Tango so they had to play it a little bit. The new song "Swish swish" is better, Duke Dumont is brilliant, would've had some hits of his own in the USA if these PDs spun them, but it doesn't feel like a song you would want to play in power rotation even though Katy still has premiere status at the format. Rise was a stiff, then Chained wasn't that great a moderate success(being kind) but more so based on it being Katy, so Bon was her 3rd miss in a row. I just cannot see how someone who thinks that "Bon Apetit" might have been a hit could have a place in this industry, clearly you should be doing something else.

I don't want to sound rude but how can any human being with ears not know after 1 listen that Bon Apetit was garbage and would test in a million years? After 40 seconds in I messaged my pd and said avoid the new Katy Perry at all costs, don't add it don't play it, its gonna bomb. My PD was in full agreement.
It got spins from some Iheart stations as a courtesy really as KIIS had her at their Wango Tango so they had to play it a little bit. The new song "Swish swish" is better, Duke Dumont is brilliant, would've had some hits of his own in the USA if these PDs spun them, but it doesn't feel like a song you would want to play in power rotation even though Katy still has premiere status at the format. Rise was a stiff, then Chained wasn't that great a moderate success(being kind) but more so based on it being Katy, so Bon was her 3rd miss in a row. I just cannot see how someone who thinks that "Bon Apetit" might have been a hit could have a place in this industry, clearly you should be doing something else.

Speaking of "Swish, Swish," the highgest spin count last week for a station was 19 spins, while I was hard-pressed to find ANY station playing it. I wonder what's going on at the Perry camp?

Swish, Swish uses the Truffle butter track (somewhat). Nothing original here, and she feels the need the need to drop the Fbomb. When will artists learn that for the most part, this is a hits killer.

Speaking of "Swish, Swish," the highgest spin count last week for a station was 19 spins, while I was hard-pressed to find ANY station playing it. I wonder what's going on at the Perry camp?

It's not just... or even... the artist who decides on singles. Those decisions are based on the label and the promo staff based on which cuts they think they can bring home.

If you consider that stations in some current driven formats may get twenty times the number of releases as the number of open slots each week, the chances of a song being a hit are very low. Even the biggest artists have always had stiffs.

Often, if a cut stiffs out, the label will stop pushing it and they will move up the promotion date of the next cut.

In fact, I'd say some songs that would have become hits never had their chance because of the quantity of releases that test well at a certain point. When I worked in a music store and as a music director at a couple of CHR stations, the quantity of releases and 'big artist' releases varied by the time of year.

I recall in the early 1970s, Snowbird by Anne Murray and Yellow River by Christie were both released early in the year but only a couple of stations began playing the songs and rapidly dropped them but a few months later the songs were reworked by the reps and both became hits. I often wondered if the last quarter 'big' album releases overshadowed these releases that the respective record companies quit working until the number of top name releases diminished and these artists had a chance to crack the top 40. There was much less research back then and you tended to watch certain stations and listen to the music reps a bit more on songs you considered. Sometimes you even let the gut decide. In fact, Amie by Pure Prairie League is an example. At Progressive Country (ie: Allman Bros., Eagles, Poco, Charlie Daniels, etc., sort of a rural feeling Album oriented format) KAFM in Dallas they played Amie from a then 'cut out' RCA album based on the gut. It generated so much interest, RCA re-released it and it became a hit.

Last edited:
Did you watch the Billboard Awards last night? That's all you need to know.

With the exception of Drake, Bruno Mars, John Legend, Ed Sheeran and Florida Georgia Line (Cher and Dion are a different subject) The rest was fill for the show, however, this was a industry sponsored awards show.

But every decade has a Milli Vanilli, Cinderella, David Geddes, and The Osmonds :)

Last edited by a moderator:
But every decade has a Milli Vanilli, Cinderella, David Geddes, and The Osmonds :)

The point is that every acceptance speech was bleeped for language. Drake can't do his thing without getting bleeped. His final speech was comparing his job to toilet paper. The whole punchline got bleeped. Your comment was about Perry's use of the f-bomb in a song. My point is that's just what they do and how they talk. No filter.

The point is that every acceptance speech was bleeped for language. Drake can't do his thing without getting bleeped. His final speech was comparing his job to toilet paper. The whole punchline got bleeped. Your comment was about Perry's use of the f-bomb in a song. My point is that's just what they do and how they talk. No filter.

Sorry, should of been clear. The talent in general. I'll let the free speech folks debate the language issue.

Sorry, should of been clear. The talent in general. I'll let the free speech folks debate the language issue.

Talent is talent. They book whoever's popular. Not much anyone can do about that. But someone has to teach people about potty mouth. It's not that hard.

I recall in the early 1970s, Snowbird by Anne Murray and Yellow River by Christie were both released early in the year but only a couple of stations began playing the songs and rapidly dropped them but a few months later the songs were reworked by the reps and both became hits. I often wondered if the last quarter 'big' album releases overshadowed these releases that the respective record companies quit working until the number of top name releases diminished and these artists had a chance to crack the top 40. There was much less research back then and you tended to watch certain stations and listen to the music reps a bit more on songs you considered. Sometimes you even let the gut decide. In fact, Amie by Pure Prairie League is an example. At Progressive Country (ie: Allman Bros., Eagles, Poco, Charlie Daniels, etc., sort of a rural feeling Album oriented format) KAFM in Dallas they played Amie from a then 'cut out' RCA album based on the gut. It generated so much interest, RCA re-released it and it became a hit.
A station in Phoenix did that several times back in the late '80s. I had a whole thread about it a few years back:

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?553207-the-late-80s-re-release-craze

Talent is talent. They book whoever's popular. Not much anyone can do about that. But someone has to teach people about potty mouth. It's not that hard.

The public won't speak up. Parents are clueless (lyrics) , and radio continues to add product that is weak.... and some that is good. It is much easier these days for a record company to pick a song and cycle it to the masses via youtube, spotify, television cross promotion etc. I guess I am of the old school and that sales and paid downloads should weigh heavily in a singles success (the radio airplay charts would look very different), but I guess you could argue radio airplay back in the day (before streamng and pureplay) skewed a singles success.

RE: language & hits: how can an F-bomb be a hit killer when there are such things as radio edits where such words are edited out?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom