• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Gong Show Returns

ABC is also bringing back "Battle of The Network Stars".

How are there going to deal with the many cable networks ?? Even if it's restricted to over the air...what about FOX and The CW ?? Ion ??? Or is it going to be strictly reality show stars ??

The Gong Show I don't see it being successful. What was big in the 1970's doesn't hold much in 2017.

The original was a daytime show. This one airs at 10PM Thursday. My expectation is this will be a bit racier.

Also, the host apparently is a Mike Myers character. Anyone who is familiar with him, either through his many movies or Saturday Night Live, will be interested.

How are there going to deal with the many cable networks ?? Even if it's restricted to over the air...what about FOX and The CW ?? Ion ??? Or is it going to be strictly reality show stars ??

The Gong Show I don't see it being successful. What was big in the 1970's doesn't hold much in 2017.

The concept is still solid. People still enjoy watching other people make fools of themselves and be insulted by sharp-tongued celebrities. Just adjust the performers and the celebrities to match Millennials' tastes and the show ought to work. People who remember Barris' '70s original probably will criticize it, but they're no longer the target audience.

The concept is still solid. People still enjoy watching other people make fools of themselves and be insulted by sharp-tongued celebrities. Just adjust the performers and the celebrities to match Millennials' tastes and the show ought to work. People who remember Barris' '70s original probably will criticize it, but they're no longer the target audience.

The Gong Show was actually much gentler than those more recent 'talent' shows. Yes, they gonged people off the stage, but they didn't verbally savage them like Simon Cowell.

My favorite Gong Show was the edition in which every singer sang "The Way We Were". You know..."Memories...". IIRC, the entire show was a set up for the last singer - a very large-breasted woman who came out and sang, "Mammories..."

The Gong Show was actually much gentler than those more recent 'talent' shows. Yes, they gonged people off the stage, but they didn't verbally savage them like Simon Cowell.

My favorite Gong Show was the edition in which every singer sang "The Way We Were". You know..."Memories...". IIRC, the entire show was a set up for the last singer - a very large-breasted woman who came out and sang, "Mammories..."

I remember that one! As for the panelists on the original, Rex Reed was the closest they came to Cowell, but you're right, they were a basically gentle lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSI88sodiUY

The last time Gong was on was nearly 4 decades ago. See 4:00 of this clip.

There were three other incarnations of the Gong Show--a 1988-89 nighttime syndicated run, a late 90s version on GSN (hosted by current Price is Right announcer George Gray), and a Comedy Central version with Dave Attell in 2008.

ABC's edition will be the first broadcast network version of "Gong Show" since the original one aired on NBC.

There were three other incarnations of the Gong Show--a 1988-89 nighttime syndicated run, a late 90s version on GSN (hosted by current Price is Right announcer George Gray), and a Comedy Central version with Dave Attell in 2008.

ABC's edition will be the first broadcast network version of "Gong Show" since the original one aired on NBC.

I remember 1988-89 watched when I was sick from school watched it on Fox47 don't know who aired the Gong Show in West Michigan. I may watch the Gong Show to see if it's any good or not.

I remember watching "The Gong Show" for years! Chuck Barris and Gary Owens really made that show a joy to watch! I even remember "Extreme Gong" on Game Show Network in the late nineties! It was great! I look forward to seeing it again!

I am a bit surprised that they are bringing back Battle of the Network Stars.

Competition amongst networks for a shrinking viewer base has become ever more fierce.
I would have assumed that at this point ABC would not want to be giving free publicity to
the lineups on other networks.

Also the stars are so highly paid now I figured they would have "Thurman Munson clauses"
in their contracts which prohibit them from doing anything where they could be seriously injured.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom