• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 610

Here in coastal Alabama it's a very weak WVTJ from Pensacola with religious programming. Night is usually a jumble, but I have heard KILT with an ID at least once. Odd, since it seems that I'm in a null in their night signal.

Calling all DX'ers ...
Our local WTVN here in Columbus is currently running non-directional because of storm damage to one of the towers in its directional array earlier this week. They have applied to run at 1,250 watts non-directional at night, but at this moment still sound like they're at the full 5,000-watt daytime power.
I'd love to hear if anyone is receiving WTVN who otherwise would not be (in other words, anywhere east, west or south of Columbus as the usual nighttime lobe is 20K ERP toward Toledo and Detroit and not all that much power radiated in any other direction, including very deep nulls toward Kansas City and Philadelphia).
Here is a photo of the damaged tower:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ87KbZX4AEHXrh.jpg

Last edited:
I heard WTVN on the Central Indiana SDR near Columbus, Indiana last night. Sounded like the full 5kW. Maybe 12 years ago WTVN ran day power ND 24/7 for a month or so while doing antenna work.

That was in the summer of 2004. Went for several weeks. I worked in Lancaster and lived in Pickerington at the time, and while neither location was in one of the deep nulls they were by no means in areas that got a great signal from WTVN after dark. It was nice hearing a loud signal from 610 at all hours. I want to say they debuted IBOC after the work was done.

I hadn't even thought about checking some of those distant SDRs, gr8, to see how WTVN sounds on skywave. Fiancee about to head to bed so maybe I will do some surfing around those in a bit after my Cubs hopefully wrap up a win.

That night pattern doesn't go to Dayton, but I was able to listen to Steve Cannon there during that period. I've recieved WTVN before sunset around here in East TN, though local WRJZ does slop over it depending where in the area you are.

Years ago driving back up 23 into Columbus from an assignment in southern Ohio, I heard WRJZ within sight of the WTVN towers. I was probably still six or seven miles away, but thanks to that flat land between Columbus and Circleville, I could see every tower of the directional array and slop was minimal because that southern lobe, while decent, isn't nearly as potent as the main northbound lobe.

Got the chance to listen to a few SDRs late last night to see how WTVN was coming in.
It was very audible on the receivers from Elida, Ohio (near Lima), suburban Detroit and Luray, Va., west of D.C.. and considerably weaker than I'd have figured on the West Chester, Ohio receiver, between Cincinnati and Dayton. 610 usually is very loud there daytime but it was weak last night.
The Edinburgh, Indiana receiver apparently was down around 1 a.m.
Sounded about like normal on the Detroit receiver, as in weak with a lot of phasing.
WIP owned the frequency on the Uniontown, Pa. receiver.
Wanted to check the SDR from down around Roanoke but it wasn't showing up on the map last year and still is not this morning.

I don't remember hearing it on the Beaufort SC SDR (that's a good one for AM Broadcast. WTVN has always been strong to the north and on the Farmington Hills MI (Detroit area) SDR. Wetchester (at the Voice of America museum) has to attenuate WLW so that could make WTVN weaker.

WRJZ gets out, no question. I've heard it on the Lake Erie shoreline.
Years ago driving back up 23 into Columbus from an assignment in southern Ohio, I heard WRJZ within sight of the WTVN towers. I was probably still six or seven miles away, but thanks to that flat land between Columbus and Circleville, I could see every tower of the directional array and slop was minimal because that southern lobe, while decent, isn't nearly as potent as the main northbound lobe.

Didn't realize that about WLW on that receiver, although I am not surprised considering the tower is right down the street.
My understanding from some posts on our Columbus board is that WTVN has gone down to 1,250 watts omnidirectional at night. The crumpled tower in their directional array has yet to be cleaned up, 13 days after it went down, so we might see this pattern for a while.
Need to check some of the distant receivers tonight to see if there's any trace of WTVN where I heard it a few weeks ago.

Bumping this thread ... our local WTVN continues to operate non-directionally with 1,250 watts at night, as it has since early April. Last time I was by the tower farm on the freeway and got a quick peek at the array, it didn't appear as if that sixth tower was being constructed at all. It's great for me as I live in an area much better served by this night signal than the normal directional-north pattern.
Have any DXers heard WTVN at night during the past several months where it formerly would not have been heard?

Another I never replied to originally.

Day/night it's KONA Kennewick WA (News/Talk). I can get several others at night depending on conditions. KRTA Medford (Regional Mexican) is usually the pest mixing with KONA. KEAR San Francisco (Family Radio) is also heard often. CHNL Kamloops BC (News/Talk), not so much. CKYL Peace River AB (Country) used to be common but no longer. And they are moving to 94.9. KVNU Logan UT (News/Talk) is just as rare, especially since I have to go right through KONA. One time log of KAVL Lancaster, CA (Fox Sports).

Wanted...
KOJM Havre MT (Classic Hits) This should be heard sometime at sunrise, and with good conditions lately, maybe I'll try this channel around the time they go to day pattern.
KNML Albuquerque NM (Sports) - Maybe if KONA is somewhat phased and CA/OR isn't strong?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom