It's sad that New York radio cannot honor the dead superstars in rock. - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: It's sad that New York radio cannot honor the dead superstars in rock.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The key thing is that paying for a concert ticket to see your favorite artist is a very different process from listening to a song on a radio station.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Ask yourself if you'd be willing to go to a free concert by an artist you don't like, or aren't interested in.
    I think I hear what you're saying (it may involve "tune out" on a perceived stiff or artist that doesn't test well?), but the same time, don't the "name" artists of each format help the format, and stations? I mean, any time I hear an ad for a music station, they always name-drop the big selling acts -- the ones that fill arenas, almost invariably.

NYC is unique among large markets in the U.S. in that it has fewer full-power commercial FM stations. 93.9, 99.5 and 105.9 (not full power but on the Empire State Building) are all non-commercial outlets. That leaves only 16 FM signals available in NYC. 94.7 had been another non-comm in the commercial band but its sale has finally given NYC a Country station after so many years without one. LA has only no full-power non-commercial stations in the commercial band. (There is one religious station, KKLA-FM 99.5, which used to be non-commercial but now is a Salem brokered preaching station, with some commercials.) LA has two NPR News/Talk stations (but neither full power), a classical station and a Pacifica station, but they are all below 92.1.

Another problem is that NYC is in Class B territory. So no station in the suburbs can pretend to be a market-wide station. Go to Dallas or Houston and they have stations 20 or 30 miles from downtown, in the .4 MHz, between the major FM stations, that get programmed like they are market-wide stations. Some run 100,000 watts on high towers and get good ratings, even if they miss some parts of the market. NYC has only a couple of 50,000 watt stations in its suburbs. Most suburban stations are powered at 3000 watts. They can only serve their specific region, not NYC. I can only think of one exception, Christian Contemporary 99.1 WAWZ Zaraphath NJ, which acts like its a NYC station, even though its signal is poor outside New Jersey, Staten Island and Brooklyn.

In LA, several suburban stations have formed simulcasts, often getting ratings equal or better than some LA stations... I'm thinking of the 94.3 K-Buena stations, the 107.1 KSSE stations, the 103.1 KDLE stations and till recently the 93.5 KDAY stations. For a time, NYC had one trimulcast at 107.1 doing country music. But it eventually broke up.

I'm sure if there were more signals available, someone would do Alternative or Active Rock in NYC. Or maybe some other formats not currently heard.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregg. View Post

Another problem is that NYC is in Class B territory. So no station in the suburbs can pretend to be a market-wide station. NYC has only a couple of 50,000 watt stations in its suburbs. Most suburban stations are powered at 3000 watts. They can only serve their specific region, not NYC. I can only think of one exception, Christian Contemporary 99.1 WAWZ Zaraphath NJ, which acts like its a NYC station, even though its signal is poor outside New Jersey, Staten Island and Brooklyn.
    How about WNSH on the Jersey side? And WBLI and WALK on the other side? All three of those are B's and well inside the market.

In LA, several suburban stations have formed simulcasts, often getting ratings equal or better than some LA stations... I'm thinking of the 94.3 K-Buena stations, the 107.1 KSSE stations, the 103.1 KDLE stations and till recently the 93.5 KDAY stations.
    Two of the KSSE stations are in different markets; Ventura and San Diego. One of the KDAY stations, the Ontario one, is licensed outside the Los Angles MSA and has minimal coverage of the market.

In LA it is hard to call someplace like Santa Monica or Inglewood or Anaheim a "suburb" since LA has five or six "downtown" areas, each with its collection of taller buildings and specific economic areas of focus. So most of the Class A FMs united in simulcasts are better described as "more limited coverage" than as "suburban".

One missing: KRCD/KRCV, which often is in the top 10 stations in the market.

I'm sure if there were more signals available, someone would do Alternative or Active Rock in NYC. Or maybe some other formats not currently heard.
    If I had the facilities and an interest in the format, I'd analyze WRFF and its lack of significant sales traction as a case study. I think that would be enough to scare anyone away.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

If I had the facilities and an interest in the format, I'd analyze WRFF and its lack of significant sales traction as a case study. I think that would be enough to scare anyone away.

With that being said, I guess we will soon see Radio 104.5 flipping to Hip Hop, Spanish or Sports by summers end, why keep a dead horse on the air in its present state....

104.5 didn't work with a Spanish format 11 years ago. Why would it work now? I-Heart already owns Power 99 so no, 104.5 won't be hip-hop. And why would Philly need a 3rd (4th?) Sports station?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    104.5 didn't work with a Spanish format 11 years ago. Why would it work now? I-Heart already owns Power 99 so no, 104.5 won't be hip-hop. And why would Philly need a 3rd (4th?) Sports station?
    Spanish programming did not work because the market is highly assimilated and there is only a small Spanish dominant community.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
    I was just Foolin' lmao
    Last edited by Gunsmoke; 05-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Here's another thought. So much of what passes for "alternative" music these days is really just pop with guitars and sounds quite at home getting a few spins on a CHR station. Groups like Imagine Dragons, Grouplove, 21 Pilots, Alt-J, and Fitz and the Tantrums all immediately come to mind.

I always thought that a carefully curated and programmed rock station could make it in NYC, but I doubt it would ever get the billings it would need to survive here, which is why we don't have one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by storm2k View Post

I always thought that a carefully curated and programmed rock station could make it in NYC, but I doubt it would ever get the billings it would need to survive here, which is why we don't have one anymore.
    It seems better suited to the non-commercial band, which is where it is.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345