KAAM flipping to Christian Talk
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KAAM flipping to Christian Talk

KAAM flipping to Christian Talk

In a post on their Facebook page (see here: https://www.facebook.com/kaamradio/p...77?pnref=story) station owner Don Crawford, Jr. announced they'll flip to Christian talk on June 5th. The Legends format will remain online at KAAMradio.com.

Needless to say, there are a lot of upset listeners posting replies. I'm only surprised that the music format on this AM signal has lasted as long as it has.

I expect that long ago. Sadly the station struggled to get any revenue and frequently had to resort to informercials and 'sold' talk shows to pay for the operation. At least Crawford has expertise in the Christian radio realm and has been successful with it.

Wow, this is shocking. I loved their format of Nostalgia. KAAM seemed to be the nationwide leader in terms of Nostalgia format. I think if they flip, it will have repercussions.

Especially since a Nostalgia format would sound good on FM stereo, especially as a bottom-feeder. I hope this change does not destroy the Nostalgia format. Losing KAAM in this league seems like it might be a big blow.

The only surprise is that the format lasted this long. The demographics that listen to KAAM are very, very old. Most of the target audience that listened to the format is now in cemeteries around DFW. And it's AM radio, not a place for music these days, regardless of "what you grew up with."

David Eduardo probably has better insight, but I think we can predict what he will say.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post
    The only surprise is that the format lasted this long. The demographics that listen to KAAM are very, very old. Most of the target audience that listened to the format is now in cemeteries around DFW. And it's AM radio, not a place for music these days, regardless of "what you grew up with."

David Eduardo probably has better insight, but I think we can predict what he will say.
    You already said it for me!
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediafrog+ View Post

Well, I don't see anything good. For me, it is a sign that Radio is failing. If you see it my way, Nostalgia is an interesting format; and for younger audiences it could be beneficial for those who want to explore music from a much older generation. I genuinely see this change for the worse and as a small tell-tale sign that Radio is dying and losing it's variety/flavor.

I know lots of kids, and you'd be surprised how much they would like and be impressed by a musician like Frank Sinatra; over the new modern "noise" passed off as "music" that they play on CHR.

Here's the problem in a nutshell: I'm sure there are some younger folks who would listen to this music from time to time, but they won't be P1s of this station. The audience for this station was pretty much people 65 and older. They tried to shift the format to keep it younger than that, but that proved an impossible task. It's one thing if the ONLY place you hear these songs is on this AM radio station. It's another if a bunch of the songs on the AM station are also heard on FM "oldies" stations in town. That's what happened to KAAM. The audience for the kind of music that made KAAM fairly popular just simply does not exist anymore. Worse, a lot of the people you would have to try to win over just do not listen to AM radio. This talk format will probably make more money and cost less (or nothing) to produce. If they can keep some of their KAAM advertisers on the Legends stream - at even a fraction of the billing, that will also be fairly lucrative. They swear they've built a good following there. If so, great. But I suspect they'll have a hard time making that profitable after a while. I just don't think many of the people they could attract to the AM band will be finding an internet device to listen in.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMagician View Post
    Well, I don't see anything good. For me, it is a sign that Radio is failing.
    An AM playing music for 75-year-olds that can't find advertisers who want to attract that audience is only a sign that the station picked the wrong format. No ad medium that delivers an audience that no advertisers want is a sign that the medium is at fault; the fault is with the station owner who picked a bad format.

If you see it my way, Nostalgia is an interesting format; and for younger audiences it could be beneficial for those who want to explore music from a much older generation. I genuinely see this change for the worse and as a small tell-tale sign that Radio is dying and losing it's variety/flavor.
    Young people (meaning anyone under 65 in this case) are not going to go to an AM station to hear music they don't like. This is not Music Appreciation in High School.

I know lots of kids, and you'd be surprised how much they would like and be impressed by a musician like Frank Sinatra; over the new modern "noise" passed off as "music" that they play on CHR.
    I detest Sinatra and love Wiz Kalifa, Pittbull, Drake, and many, many of the current artists. I won't take a split second out of my life to listen to things I do not enjoy. I feel that the vast majority of radio listeners feel the same.
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I detest Sinatra and love Wiz Kalifa, Pittbull, Drake, and many, many of the current artists. I won't take a split second out of my life to listen to things I do not enjoy. I feel that the vast majority of radio listeners feel the same.
    Would you find anyone on Radio Discussions who would share the same opinion on those artists? It would be interesting; but I think you are probably one of the few on here. no offense

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMagician View Post
    Would you find anyone on Radio Discussions who would share the same opinion on those artists? It would be interesting; but I think you are probably one of the few on here. no offense
    My point is that not everyone has the same taste. And the mere existence of a station playing music a listener does not like will not make them curious to listen to it.

And most people here, I am sure, are not particularly fond of the nostalgia format, big bands or the crooners. If there are any fans, they are likely in their 70s which simply makes my point.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast