KAAM flipping to Christian Talk - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KAAM flipping to Christian Talk

What I know of KPYK tells me that they get more billing than you might think. I believe the Monkern (sp?) Family bought it from the bank for sweat equity. Once it was paid for, they could do what they needed. Sports and religious services did pay a lot of the bills. They have other advertising revenue too, but clearly not big dollar amounts. Still, it's a small staff and I'm sure they make a nice little profit to stay in business.

An outfit like KAAM can't do that in a market like DFW.

With small town AM stations it almost doesn't matter what your actual format is, you get 90% of your sales from high school sports and Sunday church.

Really depends on the town. I've worked small town stations where Friday night and Sundays were what carried the station and I've worked some where you had one paid program on Sunday and carrying high school sports was break even at most (then again they weren't winning teams in each instance). I would say that today it is even more likely the bulk of billing comes from school sports and paid programming on Sundays.

The station I worked that made almost all of it's billing on weekends was a daytimer and we didn't carry high school sports. I recall counting the commercials that aired the whole 7 day week: 44 commercials. Paid Christian programming and Spanish language or paid gospel music shows: 16 hours and 45 minutes. In fact we even had a trio that came in to play music live Saturday morning to promote where they were playing Saturday night. That was a hoot! Everybody bought payment in on Friday for their weekend shows (the rule was pay by 2pm Friday or you don't go on) so the owner could make a bank deposit before the cutoff time. That was the first station I ever worked that relied so heavily on paid programming.

Speaking of paid programming, I once sold for a Christian station...all preaching/teaching. We could sell most of the weekday hours except early afternoon and late afternoon. In lieu of playing music and such in unsold times, the DJs were told to give a bonus replay (their choice) of a paid program but to announce it's regular(paid) airing time and the beginning and end. Actually it was pretty fun and definitely not 'stuffed shirt'. There was a preacher that told the best lawyer jokes and another that told great preacher jokes (about a poorly educated retiring preacher asking about his possible replacement's initials after his name...what is a BS...exactly what you think it is...and a PHD...well, that's piled high and dried).

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyNT View Post
    With small town AM stations it almost doesn't matter what your actual format is, you get 90% of your sales from high school sports and Sunday church.
    One of the evils of Docket 80-90 was adding additional stations to small markets. What has happened in many is that a new station offered rights fees to the school and thus took the profit out of high school and college local sports.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123