• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Joe Raineri, Revolution Radio 93.5 and West Palm Beach

I'd assume they all would be synchronized like FM boosters.
Do you mean the audio equivalent of gen-locking or phase-locking the
carrier frequencies, stereo pilot and sideband frequencies, RDS, SCA, etc?
Sounds good, I have always wondered why the 93.5 in downtown Miami has such a deep null toward the one on Countyline Rd,
even though they are running the same audio and could have been doing this for a long while without interferring.

They didn't always have the same audio. 93.5 used to be The Bull. IHeartRadio swapped 93.5 with 104.7 to mutually improve both stations coverage areas.
They will have to be synchronized because the interference between the signals occurs in populated areas. They might want to relax the pattern for the 93.5 on County Line, then move the downtown 93.5 to South Beach to have a strong signal in the heart of the nightlife scene.

They might want to relax the pattern for the 93.5 on County Line...
The one in downtown is the one with the deeeeep null that needs to be let out.

...then move the downtown 93.5 to South Beach to have a strong signal in the heart of the nightlife scene.
Anything would be better than these two proposed patterns for BV and BY,
but I would not locate a translator where 50% of the signal becomes fish bait.

Anything would be better than these two proposed patterns for BV and BY,
but I would not locate a translator where 50% of the signal becomes fish bait.
My link to BY is still good, but their proposed pattern now sends most of their signal going due west, BV is unchanged.
We do not believe that they will ever actually use either proposed pattern if the big sale goes through (has it yet?).

An unidentified source has reported seeing Revolution on a shared digital billboard for southbound traffic
approaching the 49'th St. (Hialeah) / 103'rd St. (Miami) exit on the Palmetto Bug Expressway (FL-826),
as traffic is just about to enter their current 60db contour within one mile.
I do not know whether any mention is made of WHYI-HD2.

Last edited:
They didn't always have the same audio.
It really does not matter.
Even with separate audio,
they could still synchronize all the frequencies involved
just to minimize their mutual QRM.

I'm wondering if the TOC will be moved to one of JVC's AM stations. WSVU 960/95.9/106.3 might be a candidate although WSWN 900 The Talk seems more likely since it appears to be a mix of 3rd tier talk and brokered shows. Alan Colmes is still listed as a host on their website and sadly he's been dead since February.

Well guys the flip to dance has started here in WPB as of 10:30am. WBGF 93.5 is now part of Revolution 935.

Well guys the flip to dance has started here in WPB as of 10:30am. WBGF 93.5 is now part of Revolution 935.

How is JVC sending True Oldies to W233CJ? Since it's commercial programming doesn't it have to be on a HD-X or AM signal in order to be allowed on a translator?

How is JVC sending True Oldies to W233CJ? Since it's commercial programming doesn't it have to be on a HD-X or AM signal in order to be allowed on a translator?

I know this is the information which appears on Wikipedia and at R adio I nsight, however, that information is incorrect. I can't locate the old Radio Television and Business Report, which broke the story (or reported when the sale by JVC for 93.5 was announced), but in this article, JVC COO John Caracciolo clearly stated that (not only) was W233CJ 92.5 not part of the sale to Zoo Communications, but the True Oldies Channel will not move over to 92.5 once the sale of 93.5 is completed. Again, I can't find the article, but it's out there.

I did some research on my own. I see no evidence of any channel or plans for a HD-X channel for 95.9 the Palm (which is actually WSVU 960 AM, the primary station); 95.9 is a translator.So, my guess is that the translator in question at W233CJ 92.5, left over, will either translate (and cause a possible FM rebrand) of 900 AM The Talk of the Palm Beaches, OR, JVC will expand the reach of 960 AM, which is already heard in metropolitan West Palm Beach on FM translator W240CI, at 95.9 FM. The station is also heard on Jupiter-based translator W295BJ, at 106.9 FM. I am too lazy to look (or hyperlink) to see if there is any overlaps between W240CI 95.9 and W233CJ 92.5. Also note: in Orlando (or is it Gainsville) JVC has 100.3 (something or other) "The Talk," that is, an FM talk outlet that replicates much of the brokered programs carried by 900 AM and vise versa. So that could happen in WPB.

I see no plans at all for JVC to sell W233CJ to anyone.

Also, there was a major staff housecleaning at JVC West Palm.

Dia Ryan, middays at the Palm, was let go (she's doing a weekend day at Hits 97.3 now). Jay Zeager, who moved from The Bar to True Oldies, was let go as well (and radio homless). Now, based on the fact his info was wiped off the 95.9 the Palm site, the PD Mike Balsamo was let go as well, as well. He was replaced by (too lazy to look for her name, Kathleen, I think) who did middays and was the GM for WJUP 100.3, the LPFM in Jupiter...she's doing middays at the Palm....and you don't hear Mike on the air anymore in drive time. I'll guess you won't hear Scott Shannon VT anymore, either.

As for the speculations as to 900 AM The Talk of the Palm Beaches flipping to the True Oldies Channel: I don't see that happening. 900 AM, like most brokered stations, is a cash cow. Their airtime is sold out (no more Dave Ramsey or whoever "filler" for unsold time) and while 95.9 The Palm is doing alright and pulling a decent number, 93.5 as the Bar and as TOC never worked out, so 900's brokered format is carrying that cluster. I don't see a mix of True Oldies and brokering either, as that is exactly what Seaview 960 was doing (except the music was programmed locally in house), which JVC dumped immediately upon their purchase and broke up Seaview into two stations--900 AM The Talk and 95.9 The Palm. So why go backwards . . . .

And, yes . . . JVC's sites and Facebook pages are way out of date. As someone said, Allan Combs still appears on 900's site and he's been dead for several months. If you go to their Facebook pages, posts with Dia Ryan and Mike still appear, even Gerrald Campbell, who's been gone for quite a while, still appears on their social media platforms.

And this last comment will cross thread: does anyone know where this leaves the 93.5 FM translator Mark Jorgensen acquired in Boca Raton to carry 1400 WFLL? I see nothing online to indicate that Zoo Communications brought, or Jorgensen will sell it to them....or, if Jorgensen is keeping it and moving it to yet another frequency? It started at 100.3, moved to 92.5 (I think), then to its current 93.5. Jorgensen is breakign his back trying to get 1400 back on the air and he can't catch a break with that translator.[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Oh, in a JVC 93.5 footnote:

Up in Orlando, they have Wildermier rimshot W231CT at 94.1, which is carrying the HD-2 channel of Country Wolf 103.1 WOTW. It's 93.5 The Bar allllll ovvvver again; that station was a rimshot to West Palm Beach, and this 94.1 translator has the same coverage issues. I mention this on this thread, because, outside the the different branding as "Bud" and "Beer Boobs and Rock" its EXACTLY like 93.5 The Bar. They programmed locally, in house in WPB, for the Bar and I think JVC literally took all the automation hard drives with the Bar's old programming and hooked it up to the 103.1 HD channel and let 'er rip.

And I wonder how long it will take before Anheiser/Bush issue cease and desist orders regarding this Bar-clone. Look at that Bud logo; it replicates the Bud beer logo and the station slogan is "The King of Rock" (aka King of Beers is Bud's slogan).

I know this is the information which appears on Wikipedia and at R adio I nsight, however, that information is incorrect. I can't locate the old Radio Television and Business Report, which broke the story (or reported when the sale by JVC for 93.5 was announced), but in this article, JVC COO John Caracciolo clearly stated that (not only) was W233CJ 92.5 not part of the sale to Zoo Communications, but the True Oldies Channel will not move over to 92.5 once the sale of 93.5 is completed. Again, I can't find the article, but it's out there.
As of 6pm 92.5 is carrying WSVU so that solves that mystery.

As of 6pm 92.5 is carrying WSVU so that solves that mystery.

Thanks for posting that!

Yes, it all chalks up to poor research on the part of the TV and/or entertainment media who are not well versed in radio broadcasting. And even the radio media mucks it up most times. That's what caused much of the confusion and speculations regarding JVC's current happenings, with 92.5 and with 93.5 -- the WPTV Channel 5 article (linked earlier in this thread), in particular.

For the record: Revolution 93.5 first started out on WZFL-FM Islamorada, Florida, in the middle Keys. Then, Zoo Communications (now Anco) expanded and picked up a Dade County translator at 93.5, W228BY. Then, upon the failure of IHeart’s The Bull, Zoo picked up the translator at W228BV 93.5 in Broward. I mention this because “reports” stated Revolution started on the two translators, then expanded to the Islamorada signal. Wrong. The Keys’ WZFL “feeds” the translators, not the other way around. WZFL is the primary.

As for 93.5 WBGF: It is not and was not and NEVER will be “upgraded” to 50,000 watts as the WPTV article states. WBGF is and will always be a C3 15,500 watt station. It’s not “moving” as WBGF’s “upgrade” and “move” has long since been completed, well over a year ago—and was all well documented on JVC’s old (since deleted) Facebook page for 93.5 The Bar. The company who did the upgrades (all new transmitters and processors, etc) tagged JVC COO John Caracciolo in the photos, a post; he, in turn, reposted it onto 93.5 The Bar’s Facebook. Then, the Bar’s “social media person” posted the usual lame, “can you hear me, now” jokes, “we’re rockin’ West Palm Beach,” etc. To which people replied: “no, we can’t” and “no, you’re not,” and “we still can’t hear you.” It’s still a weak “rimshot” in need of another translator to get it into downtown WPB.

Hopefull, with Anco’s aggressive expansion, they’ll could (speculating) pick up a translator in WPB. And, it would be smart for them to pick up that currently silent, proposed 93.5 translator in Boca from Jorgensen—between that, and W228BV 93.5 in Fort Lauderdale, Revolution could have Broward covered up to at least Linton Blvd in Delray, by which point, WBGF starts to come in. Not sure of the “engineering” on it, but since Anco has all the 93.5s locked up (and most likely Jorgensen’s 93.5 will have to move to a new frequency anyway, if its not purchased by Anco), Anco might even be able to get “another “93.5” set up in DT WPB. Just a thought. Pretty amazing, when you think of it…Revolution 93.5 is a “superstation” that has the possibility to cover the Keys all the way to DT West Palm Beach with no dead spots. But not because WBGF is "50,000 watts" as the WPTV article states--its because Revolution broadcasts on four different signals that blanket South Florida.

Anyway, that “nudge” seven miles east for WBGF is a long gone, done deal, no more “upgrades,” WBGF is upgraded. It can’t move 40 miles into WPB as a Class A 3,000 watter. The “studies” were done for a Class A reduction—it was determined it would interfered with WGYL 93.7 in Vero Beach.

So, the ONLY station that is 50,000 watts is Revolution Radio’s primary station, which feeds the two translators (which I think are 250w each) and 93.5 WBGF 15,000 outlet, and that is WZFL.

Cross threading: as for WFLL 1400, it’s not “moving” either. Again, “studies” were done. A move any further north or west into Broward (say on WHSR 980 in Parkland, Beasley’s outlet) would cause interference for WIRA 1400, who ironically had their own translator at 97.1 which caused interference for WOSN-97.1, Indian River Shores and was taken off the air. That’s why the deal was made with MRBI’s WEXYit was the ONLY logical choice and only optimum option for WFLL to set up shop and cover Broward (on equal with its previous coverage area) without causing northern interference with WIRA--since, as it has been discussed extensively on these boards, it is cheaper and more economical to RENT than OWN, considering the lack of real estate in Broward to build a tower and X-mitter site from scratch.

Last edited:
[SIZE=2 The Keys’ WZFL “feeds” the translators, not the other way around. WZFL is the primary. [/QUOTE]

No, WZFL provides audio to WHYI-HD2, and the HD originates for the two translators. The translators can not "translate" for the Islamorada station as they are both significantly outside the primary and secondary contours of WZFL and can not be used for a commercial translator.

Revolution 93.5 is a “superstation” that has the possibility to cover the Keys all the way to DT West Palm Beach with no dead spots.

Most of the West Palm Beach population does not receive a usable signal. In Dade and Broward, just over 1 million people have a usable signal out of a market population of 4.6 million. The Islamorada signal does nor cover any significant piece of South Dade, either. And it only covers a small piece of the upper keys, the 60 dbu barely covers 20,000 persons.

So, the ONLY station that is 50,000 watts is Revolution Radio’s primary station, which feeds the two translators (which I think are 250w each) and 93.5 WBGF 15,000 outlet, and that is WZFL.

WZFL does not feed the two translators. It provides programming to the leased HD2 of WHYI. WHYI-HD2 feeds the translators.

One translator is 179 watts, the other is 250 watts. Both are quite directional.

Last edited:
...as for WFLL 1400, it’s not “moving” either...A move any further north or west into Broward...would cause interference for WIRA 1400,...
That’s why the deal was made with MRBI’s WEXYit was the ONLY logical choice and only optimum option for WFLL to set up shop and cover Broward...without causing northern interference with WIRA
--since, as it has been discussed extensively on these boards, it is cheaper and more economical to RENT than OWN, considering the lack of real estate in Broward to build a tower and X-mitter site from scratch.

What about moving south?
The nearest consideration to the south is a third (3'rd) channel adjacency in Homested.

Last edited:
Could be. They bought a station in the Keys to feed translators in Dade and Broward so they could do the same with WBGF for West Palm. I'd like to know how well they bill.

The current rules will not allow them to feed the translators with the Keys station. WBGF has applied to move closer to the metro. The translators will also need to be in the WBGF 60db contour to keep the current power levels on both translators. It is already directional to the North. The might try to downgrade to a Class A to move closer to the metro and feed one or two of the translators. With the dial so crowded that probably is not possible. There are several possible scenarios that might or might not work.

Correction: Translators are both 93.5. So the best situation is a good to marginal car signal for BGF in the weak translator locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The current rules will not allow them to feed the translators with the Keys station. WBGF has applied to move closer to the metro. The translators will also need to be in the WBGF 60db contour to keep the current power levels on both translators. It is already directional to the North. The might try to downgrade to a Class A to move closer to the metro and feed one or two of the translators. With the dial so crowded that probably is not possible. There are several possible scenarios that might or might not work.

Correction: Translators are both 93.5. So the best situation is a good to marginal car signal for BGF in the weak translator locations.

The Keys and WPB full-power, Dade and Broward translators are all on 93.5 FM and just synchronize it with one another so that you don't know if its coming from one of the translators or one of the full-power stations since 93.5 comes from the Keys all the way to the Palm Beaches.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom