• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

April 2017 Boston Radio Ratings.

I guess Krazy K000000nah isn't "Going National" with those ratings...

Or at least equal ranking on the ratings? Their signals are equal now, even if one works harder at serving Boston.

Or at least equal ranking on the ratings? Their signals are equal now, even if one works harder at serving Boston.

Perhaps due to more competition right IN Boston from similar formatted stations for Hot AC, especially WBMX, and although a little less "hot", the high-rated WMJX.

Boston CHR stations such as "Kiss" and "Amp", though they skew younger, could also be taking a little bit from "Hot AC" stations.

WAAF has some heritage in rock radio in the area. WZLX is their only somewhat close format competitor in Boston proper nowadays, and though WAAF plays a lot of classic rock in rotation, WAAF differs from WZLX in that it mixes in some mainstream hard rock from the 2000's through today with classic rock of the late '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s. WAAF was never an all-classic rock station. WZLX cuts off after the '90s except for the occasional newer track by a heritage rocker. (WROR HD2 "The Bone" could be competition for WAAF if more people had HD radios).

WAAF on two signals before the signal split--1.9 share. WKAF and WAAF combined after the signal split--3.7 share. And WKAF brings new listeners to the cluster. IMO that was a reasonably smart strategy with two challenged signals.

Will the last person to leave WRKO please turn off the lights. White noise and static have higher ratings.

Hey Jer that guy from the Herald might be an interesting guest host...he knew how to pick em.Good night and good luck, good night to you. Jerry was brilliant and made many waves though never quite did 6 books, 25 affiliates, an hour of his show on national cable...and access anywhere in the world via streaming.

"Puttin on the Ritz..." (Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, dir Mel Brooks)
Is jerrywilliams.org down still? I've tried it for awhile and got nothing. A WHOIS search says the domain name, created in 2003, will expire in Oct of 2017 and is currently owned by Marlin Broadcasting of Jacksonville.

If Jerry were here today: "Let your legislators know you're opposed to this bill--by email, twitter, Facebook..."
I still remember him oirganizing rallies and having an out of breath Ralph Nader call in to talk about "the Congressional pay grab".

Ted Kennedy: " Always great to talk to you, Jerry I just can't wait..."

Jerry: "Your, your sarcasm is wonderful, Senator..."

Last edited:
WAAF on two signals before the signal split--1.9 share. WKAF and WAAF combined after the signal split--3.7 share. And WKAF brings new listeners to the cluster. IMO that was a reasonably smart strategy with two challenged signals.

I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, many of the former 'AAF listeners from south of Boston who can no longer receive a listenable signal are turning to WHJY (or at least that's what I've heard). The HD radio thing only helps slightly, as not everyone has an HD radio. Way more people DON'T have one, in fact, than do.

Hey Jer that guy from the Herald might be an interesting guest host...he knew how to pick em.Good night and good luck, good night to you. Jerry was brilliant and made many waves though never quite did 6 books, 25 affiliates, an hour of his show on national cable...and access anywhere in the world via streaming.

To be fair, though.... different times. Today, I suspect a great like Jerry Williams would have affiliate stations around New England.

I remember listening to Jerry on my commute home from Portsmouth to Manchester NH on Route 101 every evening. It brings back memories of a simpler time in life and the world.

I've never worked in the professional broadcasting industry (I do hold an amateur radio and a few commercial radio licenses as part of my job, and a good friend's father, Bob Ogren, worked in the industry and got me interested in many aspects of radio) so I need to ask...

It is professionally embarrassing to be beat 2-to-1 by "Bubba the Love Sponge" who has his own "Bubba Radio Network" ?

2znztj4.jpg

True, these days maybe Jerry could have had a network. After awhile Howie picked up stations on the Cape, in Springfield, Portland, Burl VT. WCRN came on to help because RKO's signal is weak to the west after dark, really noticeable in winter.Around 07 Ent. made RKO the Sox flagship and Howie went off RKO due to pregame but he told listeners to go to WCRN for the rest of the show.
In 09 Sports Hub debuted and WEEI had competition..before long, right in the middle of a season,
they abruptly became flagship again and in '11 they moved to FM...both no doubt due to the competition from CBS. When RKO was Sox flagship in 07, 08 etc..for MOST games they figured it could lure listeners to their talk shows, bring up ratings.

Not knowing how these things work... what's the cost to an affiliate to buy rights to simulcast a program like Howies' vs. hiring their own on-air talent? (I imagine there are many factors, but, I'm curious, in general terms.)

I've never worked in the professional broadcasting industry (I do hold an amateur radio and a few commercial radio licenses as part of my job, and a good friend's father, Bob Ogren, worked in the industry and got me interested in many aspects of radio) so I need to ask...

It is professionally embarrassing to be beat 2-to-1 by "Bubba the Love Sponge" who has his own "Bubba Radio Network" ?

2znztj4.jpg

Bubba makes the guys in AM drive on 1510 seem like Rhodes Scholars.

It is truly knuckle dragging, misogynist, low IQ radio.

So it goes well in Florida. I was told that when Beasley had the station branded as Bubba Radio it billed big dollars with good ratings.

Bubba was sent packing by Beasley Tampa after he was caught red handed ( and is being sued by Neilsen) for PPM manipulation.

They embargoed books, re-stated the ratings, it was a big deal.

He was still on one of the Beasley stations near my southern command post, but since I refuse to listen to him, I didn't check when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

But in the Tampa area I think he ended up on an AM station.

Bubba's other claim to fame was he (allegedly) let his wife who had a Hulk Hogan fantasy have sex with Mr Bolea while Mr Clem was in the other room and with his knowledge and consent. Then somehow the video of the incident was "stolen" by a former staffer and let out into the world.... where it ended up on Gawker dot com.... Gawker was sued into bankruptcy by The Hulkster, who had his legal fees covered by a man who was "outed" by Gawker a few years earlier.

There have been a couple of other high profile law suits against him too

It is truly knuckle dragging, misogynist, low IQ radio.

So even a knuckle dragging, misogynist, low IQ radio show beats kuhner..........

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom