• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Will WGBH Radio 89.7 FM Become the New WBZ?

T

Tilden

Wonder if Joe Mathieu's jumping perhaps a sinking ship at WBZ Radio and moving over to WGBH 89.7 is an indication that WGBH wants to become the new news station? Entercom taking over WBZ is not a good sign. Entercom has demonstrated that they only want to go after the lowest common denominator for its audience. Looks like some people at 'BZ think the same thing. Heard Bradley Jay the other night say off handedly that he hopes to do something else. Also, WBZ has never replaced Jordan Rich on the weekend. Jordan Rich may have had an inkling that WBZ was on the downhill . Sad if that is the case.
On the other hand WGBH Radio has become a strong option with interesting programming that you don't hear elsewhere. The latest rating show WGBH is a strong contender on Boston radio.

...is an indication that WGBH wants to become the new news station?

Interesting question, because if you ask anyone from WBUR or WGBH they will tell you they ARE news stations.

WBUR uses the "news" term rather liberally....even though most of the programs on WBUR are "talk" shows.

"Boston's NPR News Station". During pledges they ask that you support WBUR "so we can bring you the news".

Given that, I think WGBH is looking for more credibility for the hiring of Joe Mathieu...a "real news guy" instead of non-comm retreads. ;-)

I think that the approach of WBUR and WGBH are set to become the next generation of "News Radio"....news reporting...and then discussion, interviews and analysis.

They have much more access to younger demo's than WBZ does.....and they don't have the albatross of endless commercials, and that allows them to have a little more depth than just the headline service that WBZ is.

The real question is.....is there a real need/desire for a "headline service" anymore? Maybe...since all the music stations have eliminated news outside of morning drive.

Could the WBZ news product have a new invigorated life on the FM dial?

It wouldn't totally surprise me if Entercom moves WBZ to FM and sells 680, 850, and 1030. They would then have all FMs with 93.7, 97.7, 98.5, 100.7, 103.3, 104.1, and 107.3. They would probably keep as many of these as allowed by the FCC, with 97.7 and 107.3 ready to go if they had to get rid of two. I think the 5 certain formats would be News/Talk, Sports, Classic Rock, Hot AC, and CHR.

Only one sports signal? 5 teams when you count Revs. If so they could use a music signal as a backup or permanent home for one or 2 teams.As it is, conflicts w B's led WZLX to carry Celts (no classic rock on those nights, there's a game on).What team is on what signal? At least now we roughly know that.No AMs mean no WEEI 850 as a back up for some play by play (national games/playoffs/college games), no paycheck to carry ESPN.

So even if there's only 1 FM sports talker they could use 850 as a backup.
Or maybe an FM home for WBZ with spillover sports at night etc.

Last edited:
It wouldn't totally surprise me if Entercom moves WBZ to FM and sells 680, 850, and 1030. They would then have all FMs with 93.7, 97.7, 98.5, 100.7, 103.3, 104.1, and 107.3. They would probably keep as many of these as allowed by the FCC, with 97.7 and 107.3 ready to go if they had to get rid of two. I think the 5 certain formats would be News/Talk, Sports, Classic Rock, Hot AC, and CHR.

Sports, today, is the revenue star as opposed to aging news talk formats.

Sports, today, is the revenue star as opposed to aging news talk formats.

Especially in sports crazy Boston. I can't see them blowing up WBZ FM The Sports Hub for news.

Entercom could easily run two competing sports stations. They both go after different types of listeners.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom