• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Philadelphia Radio PPM Ratings: April 2017

Will we see possible programming and talent changes with any of the Philly radio stations?

No.

Interesting book nonetheless... WBEB slipped some more, but WTDY stayed essentially flat. WISX saw a little flash of life in the Philly AC battle.

It was a great book for Male-targeting stations. WMMR, WMGK, WIP, WRFF all up.

And a surprise showing by WRFF-HD2 making the ratings. First time an HD2 without an AM signal or FM Translator showing up in the Philly ratings. One person listening a crapload?

I just remember how a few months ago, a couple posters had WRFF on its death bed. Where are they now?

I agree, even though some people keep insisting Alternative is not a money making but a dead format nobody wants to touch or get involved with. Glad to see the three Rock stations in the market on the rise like always.

I agree, even though some people keep insisting Alternative is not a money making but a dead format nobody wants to touch or get involved with. Glad to see the three Rock stations in the market on the rise like always.

In this kind of format, the revenues will underperform the ratings. Also the case for WOGL. But the fact that both formats get great ratings at least make them viable.

I don't think anyone has said that it does not or cannot make money. It probably makes money on its current billing levels. It's just bringing in a bag of money instead of a wheelbarrow like other stations are.

I am really not educated in the revenue aspects of formats and billing but I would think a station with a 4.7 share would be bringing more cash then say one with a 2.5 rating. I just cannot comprehend the logic that an advertiser would prefer the 2.5 to the 4.7, no matter what the format or type of listener the stations have..

I just remember how a few months ago, a couple posters had WRFF on its death bed. Where are they now?

Numbers or not, it's the dollars that count. Hopefully, this will be a trend for 104.5 and they can use it to improve billings.

No.

Interesting book nonetheless... WBEB slipped some more, but WTDY stayed essentially flat. WISX saw a little flash of life in the Philly AC battle.

It was a great book for Male-targeting stations. WMMR, WMGK, WIP, WRFF all up.

And a surprise showing by WRFF-HD2 making the ratings. First time an HD2 without an AM signal or FM Translator showing up in the Philly ratings. One person listening a crapload?

More-FM at #3 with the lowest share I can recall for them. That's something interesting, for sure. (WBEB is tops in cume, BTW.) Interesting that even though WISX saw an inexplicable bump, they still have fewer listeners than WTDY which came out of nowhere only recently. CBS made a pretty savvy move with 96.5. Similar audience size but a more desirable demo. Can't say I blame them. (Also, Amp always sounded to me a like a mess.)

Interesting seeing the streams and certainly and HD2 show up. Can it really be that the most-listened to HD2 in the city is 104.5's? That's really saying something!

WPHT and KYW both off a tad. Guess radio listeners are getting bored (or complacent) with all the post-election nonsense. That sounds safe. haha.

Numbers or not, it's the dollars that count. Hopefully, this will be a trend for 104.5 and they can use it to improve billings.

WRFF has been in the top 10 in 25-54 for years and years. They billings have actually declined recently. It's the format, not the numbers.

I am really not educated in the revenue aspects of formats and billing but I would think a station with a 4.7 share would be bringing more cash then say one with a 2.5 rating. I just cannot comprehend the logic that an advertiser would prefer the 2.5 to the 4.7, no matter what the format or type of listener the stations have..
The numbers that really matter are those of the audience you want to buy ("you" being the advertiser). 12+ numbers are, as oft noted, meaningless in that regard. WIP, to pick one example, may be lower on the 12+ scale (though no slouch), but if you're looking to reach a heavy concentration of men, the number of listeners they can deliver for you matters.

And, fair or not, perception plays a role. If you can't convince the ad agencies your audience commands "top dollar," you aren't going to get it. David puts it succinctly--it's the format. Again, fair or not, it's reality.

So why would advertisers pick a hip hop format over an alternative one, even if the alternative one has double the audiance of the hip hop one? Seems to me same age group but different ethnics that's about it. Unless their is a big rumor that goes around making advertisers scared of buying into alternative stations, like those listeners are cheap lmao...

So why would advertisers pick a hip hop format over an alternative one, even if the alternative one has double the audiance of the hip hop one?

Depends on the advertiser. Traditionally, McDonalds buys a lot of urban radio. Not so much other formats. It's about reaching a specific customer.

Depends on the advertiser. Traditionally, McDonalds buys a lot of urban radio. Not so much other formats. It's about reaching a specific customer.

What Gunsmoke needs to understand is that the more sophisticated ad buyers look for formats that match their greatest consumers. McDonalds knows that urban listeners over-index in fast food consumption so they spend more against that audience. Spanish language stations also enjoy larger budget shares in certain categories. Another example would be for products that appeal to young adult women, the area where CHR and Hot AC out-perform.

One problem with stations like WRFF is that buyers looking for younger (18-44) adult males won't got to that station first... they will find much more efficient delivery on sports stations. In fact, the Poster child" market for a place where alternative outperforms is Los Angeles, where there is no significant sports player. But in Philly, we have one huge sports station and another with lower but huge male numbers so there is little male-targeted money left over.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom