• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

November 24, 2017

Is the date that the construction permit for KJOJ-FM is set to expire. As we get closer to this date I wonder what's going to happen? Is LBI going to take advantage and actually move it or will they just leave it alone??

Is the date that the construction permit for KJOJ-FM is set to expire. As we get closer to this date I wonder what's going to happen? Is LBI going to take advantage and actually move it or will they just leave it alone??
Land is the problem...when I worked there LBI could not find the land needed for the upgrade..doubt it will ever happen.. it is restricted in moving north due to 102.9 and that's a big issue..moving south puts in the Gulf of Mexico

Land is the problem...when I worked there LBI could not find the land needed for the upgrade..doubt it will ever happen.. it is restricted in moving north due to 102.9 and that's a big issue..moving south puts in the Gulf of Mexico

But there's 103.1 right? Shouldn't that be enough to not interfere with KLTN?

Lol Mr Chuck! I meant if there's a space between 103.3 and 102.9 how much could 103.3 affect KLTN? 103.1 should be enough space to not overlap KLTN!

I understand. However, 103.1 is a 1st adjacency to 102.9 and 103.3 is a 2nd adjacency to 102.9. Just like 102.7 and 102.5 are the same on the other side of the frequency. You can't move it to 103.5, because of 103.7. It's trapped like KNTH is trapped and can't go west, unless two stations (1050 and 1090) sign off and 1070 KOPY powers down. Not gonna happen.

I understand. However, 103.1 is a 1st adjacency to 102.9 and 103.3 is a 2nd adjacency to 102.9. Just like 102.7 and 102.5 are the same on the other side of the frequency. You can't move it to 103.5, because of 103.7. It's trapped like KNTH is trapped and can't go west, unless two stations (1050 and 1090) sign off and 1070 KOPY powers down. Not gonna happen.

Ok makes sense but then how are La Raza 98.5 and that translator 98.7 next to each other? I'm lost here!

Ok makes sense but then how are La Raza 98.5 and that translator 98.7 next to each other? I'm lost here!

The difference is that the translator on 98.7 is very low power. 98.5, 103.3 and 102.9 are all 100KW

Last edited:
FCC Part 73 and 74 set spacing between stations of different classes (height and ERP).....translators only being 250w ERP are allowed much closer to high power signals since its unlikely the weaker signal will interfere with the much stronger signal within its protected contour. However, 98.7 is OUTSIDE 98.5's protected contour of 60dbU so that's a moot point...a 103.3 full power Class C is protected from 2nd adj full power from 65 miles min spacing....lower Classes are spaced accordingly. This is to prevent the adj signal from overloading the FM rcvr within the on channel's coverage area...However, if two FMs 2 channels apart were on the same tower, they likely would not BUT that opens up a whole other can of worms with intermod, etc (signals mixing at 200kHz interval).

But there's 103.1 right? Shouldn't that be enough to not interfere with KLTN?

There are strict spacing requirements for co-channel, adjacent and next adjacent separations. LBI can't find a location that meets the spacing issues for 102.9

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom