• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KABC & Death Wish II

It is interesting that an actual radio station was used in Death Wish II as opposed to a fictional one.
Perhaps even more interesting that KABC was willing to participate in a film whose basic themes
(pro-gun, sympathetic towards vigilantes) were rather controversial at the time.

I am sitting here trying to think of another film where an actual radio station was featured.

In "Rain Man," Raymond (Dustin Hoffman's character) is obsessed with Cincinnati rock station 97X (WOXY), which is playing in the car he and his brother are in. He keeps repeating its liner "97X ... Bam! ... The Future of Rock and Roll!"

I think the issue in 8 Mile was that they wanted to keep the story....well, south of 8 Mile.
Despite being an urban, hip-hop formatted station, WJLB's studios are in affluent (and
mostly white) Farmington Hills. Showing the studios there as opposed to a more urban
locale south of 8 Mile would not have fit with the whole story line. They were actually
making fun of people from "the 810".

Well, now they'd also have to make fun of people from the 734, 248 and 586 as well.......

Farmington Hills is now 248.

In "Rain Man," Raymond (Dustin Hoffman's character) is obsessed with Cincinnati rock station 97X (WOXY), which is playing in the car he and his brother are in. He keeps repeating its liner "97X ... Bam! ... The Future of Rock and Roll!"

I was counselor at a summer camp in 1967. One of the kids - not sure if he was "on the spectrum," or otherwise mentally disabled. He did KHJ, and had a repertoire of practically all the jingles, from "Boss Radio 93/KHJ"to "The Real Don STEELE..."

I was counselor at a summer camp in 1967. One of the kids - not sure if he was "on the spectrum," or otherwise mentally disabled. He did KHJ, and had a repertoire of practically all the jingles, from "Boss Radio 93/KHJ"to "The Real Don STEELE..."

Could he do the 'Tension Timpani', now that would be a talent! I was watching a movie that took place in L.A. and had 93 KHJ audio throughout the entire picture. Of course The Real Don Steele on the two part Bewitched when Paul Revere rides to town is ingrained in my mind, although they only referred to 'Boss Radio'. Last I saw Steele's role was edited out to make it a single episode

Could he do the 'Tension Timpani', now that would be a talent! I was watching a movie that took place in L.A. and had 93 KHJ audio throughout the entire picture. Of course The Real Don Steele on the two part Bewitched when Paul Revere rides to town is ingrained in my mind, although they only referred to 'Boss Radio'. Last I saw Steele's role was edited out to make it a single episode

I don't remember the tension timpani, but I remember hearing him say, "Zap - you've been Morganized - <jingle> Robert W Morgan, 93/KHJ."

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom