• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Sinclair and other Right Wing Outlets Rumored to get Bill O'Reilly

There's no money in being an anti-Trump Republican.

And by that, I assume you mean advertising money. I think you're right, and you can see it in the polls. His base has completely closed ranks around him, and that's a sellable number in the advertising world. Not particularly the way one might want to govern, but that's not his expertise. He's been great for talk radio. He's also been great for anti-Trump late night talk. Regardless of how you may feel about him personally, he is great for ratings, as we saw previously with Apprentice. Why? He drives passion, one way or the other. He's not dull or boring.

Sinclair was just a sample here Now its the competitors of Sinclair, Fox and Breitbart over how they are swayed by the president.

And vice-versa. His world view is more shaped by what they report than the information he gets from government agencies.

In keeping with today's use of media, it's all about trusted sources, and he doesn't trust the government.

Attracting a much smaller audience than FNC with the same demographics (mainly male and over 65). I know you can't believe that Sinclair acquired The Tennis Channel to telecast tennis, but the sport delivers a younger, more affluent niche than angry right-wing talk. A Fox News knock-off, featuring O'Reilly, would probably bill better under any circumstances, but how much better? Fox launched Fox Business Network as a challenger to CNBC (and to a lesser extent, Bloomberg), but the ratings have been pathetic. How much better than The Tennis Channel is FBN billing?

FBN beat CNBC in the ratings so they have done a good job I don't watch much FBN as I'm not into business news.

FBN beat CNBC in the ratings so they have done a good job I don't watch much FBN as I'm not into business news.

They've done a great job of taking some of the popular FNC hosts who specialize in financial news and build a channel around them. One of the biggest names is Lou Dobbs, who has really become very cranky and angry lately. Definitely has no filter any more. But there's a big audience for that, as we see.

I disagree that O'Reilly's firing was a "liberal hit job".
His nickname around FNC has for years been rumored to be "The Lecherous Leprechaun".

When you are a celebrity I can see how one or even a handful of women could fabricate
claims about you in an effort to extort money. But these stories are consistent, and
involve large numbers of women. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

OK I'm starting to think that the ongoing scandal with Fox News and now possibly Fox O&O's allegation of Harassment is starting to sound more like a prediction/speculation of what could happen at Sinclair stations and leadership once they get Bill O'Reilly and become more powerful than Fox News.

Only if they can't control their personal activities.

http://thehill.com/policy/technology/333970-sinclair-deal-puts-heat-on-fcc update

Broadcasters are now limited to serving 39 percent of the country’s households. Last month, the FCC reinstated what’s known as the UHF discount, which makes stations that used to broadcast on ultra-high frequency count less toward the 39 percent ownership limit.
Without the discount, Sinclair already reaches 38 percent of U.S. households, according to an analysis from Fitch Ratings. Once the discount goes into effect, the Fitch study finds, Sinclair’s share will drop to 25 percent — giving the company more room to buy local television stations.

The deal with Tribune is still likely to push Sinclair over the media limit, and the company has said that it will explore ways to avoid exceeding the cap.

Activists immediately pounced on the arrangement after the deal was announced. Free Press CEO Craig Aaron called it a “scandal,” and John Bergmayer, a senior counsel at Public Knowledge, urged the Department of Justice and the FCC to scrutinize the deal.

Free Press and several other groups are trying to block the discount from going into effect. They petitioned the FCC to hold off on implementing the rule and asked a federal court to review it, arguing that the Republican majority at the agency did not have sufficient reason to reinstate the discount, which the FCC repealed last year under the Obama administration.

And a trio of House Democrats — Reps. Doris Matsui (Calif.), Mike Doyle (Pa.) and Anna Eshoo (Calif.) — called on the House Energy and Commerce Committee to hold a hearing to scrutinize the acquisition and the FCC’s actions.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has said that he agrees that the UHF discount has outlived its usefulness but argues that it shouldn’t be modified or removed without also reviewing the overall ownership limit, which he has promised the FCC will do.

Critics say that if the Sinclair-Tribune deal is allowed to go through, it could lead to higher costs for consumers and a stifling of independent media voices.

“The fundamental concern is that no media company should be that big,” said Andrew Jay Schwartzman, a law professor at Georgetown University and part of the legal team seeking to block the UHF discount.

“Beyond that, Sinclair gaining this kind of scope is especially troublesome. It has an established track record of shortchanging its viewers by cutting costs, duplicating programming on multiple stations in a market and placing profits ahead of service.”

Sinclair did not respond to requests for comment. The FCC declined to comment.

Some critics have even questioned whether Sinclair is getting special treatment because of its conservative leaning. The company faced criticism last year after Politico reported that President Trump’s adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, had bragged behind closed doors about an arrangement Sinclair had with the Trump campaign for better coverage.

Sinclair reportedly secured one-on-one interviews with then-candidate Trump by promising that the interview would be broadcast without any commentary. Scott Livingston, the company’s vice president of news, told Politico at the time that the offer was also extended to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton’s campaign and that her running mate, Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Va.), took advantage of the arrangement.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...g/bs-fe-zontv-cnn-foxtalk-20170522-story.html

Apparently this article says this about Fox news today. Umm lets wait and see mainly because of the recent hype that the RNC/Pro-Trump Demographics prefer Sinclair according to a Trump Cabinet member in other threads. But we have to look at the ratings between Sinclair TV stations and Fox news in the next book. For now the comparisons look at Fox news vs MSNBC and CNN after Roger Ailes died.

Given all the lawsuits, settlements and huge prime-time turnover in talent, you might think things could not get worse for Fox News.

But they could if the ratings of the past two weeks continue.

Fox News, which has long been overwhelmingly dominant in cable news ratings, found itself in last place in the key demographic of viewers 25 to 34 years of age, behind MSNBC and CNN.

CNN’s Anderson Cooper won last week in demographics at 8 p.m., and MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow won at 9.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ex...m-to-launch-new-project/ar-BBCMk3y?li=BBnbfcL

Update

Ever since Bill O’Reilly left Fox News in April, there has been an ongoing discussion on what his next career move might be. Well it appears that we are soon about to find out.

Mediaite has learned that a producer recently resigned form a Fox News program citing plans to join O’Reilly in a new online video project that is soon to launch. The producer also added that there are broadcast plans to follow shortly as well , but did not reveal any specifics beyond that.

When reached for comment, O’Reilly told Mediaite “We are assembling a team of journalists and are considering a number of options as BillOReilly.com is quickly developing into a major enterprise.”

There had been talk that a Sinclair-Tribune merger could land O’Reilly, or Newsmax, where O’Reilly recently showed up as a guest commentator. Variety reported yesterday that One America News Network was eagerly courting the former Fox News host, and so perhaps they are the leader in this particular horse race. But his comment could suggest that he is taking a similar route as his former Fox News colleague Glenn Beck and create his own digital video network like The Blaze.

This news tidbit is the clearest sign yet that O’Reilly is staffing up to get back into the game of opinion journalism. Mediaite had the scoop in April of a new conservative network being planned as a reaction to what one executive described as “Fox News moving too far left.”

O’Reilly was the cable news ratings leader for roughly the past decade, and still appears to have a very loyal audience. His ratings had never been higher at the time he was canceled

He's always made it a point to keep his personal website separate from the show website. This is why.

Note to all talent: Always retain the right to your own brand.

If Bill O'Reilly went One America News Network will be like Keith going to Current TV will not move the needle for getting it on pay providers just my opinion. I think O'Reilly is going online only for those that will pay to listen to him.

I doubt it was ever a serious offer. They weren't going to be able to pay what O'Reilly would require.

If Sinclair does land O'Reilly which they should only do if the Tribune merger is approved, and makes the wise decision to leverage WGN to give him a national cable show, I think Sharyl Atkisson would get an hour after him. She'd shine in such a set up and she already works for Sinclair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom