• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Emmis Exits LA

Radio Insight reports that Power 106 has been sold to the Mereulo Group, owners of KDAY/KDEY-FM, KWHY-TV, and soon to be owners of KBEH-TV. I doubt much will change in the way of format and such.

Guess that means Power 106 will leave the throwbacks to KDAY.

Why would they eliminate the throwbacks? Cluster stations can sometimes have 30% up to 60% or more overlap. Look at KIIS and KBIG in the same market.

The sale helps both the seller and the buyer. Emmis was under the gun to come up with cash to satisfy lenders. Mereulo gains a real cluster in el Lay at a price that makes sense.

Hopefully they'll return the station to it's roots. Now more than ever there is a big hole to fill for a TRUE RHYTHMIC station, somewhere in between KIIS and REAL.
Just hope slicing the staff isn't part of the plan. I gotta imagine the current salaries in place are way too hefty for Mereulo Group's liking. They already have a great staff at KPWR.

Good thing Mr. Meruelo is keeping the station and its legacy intact. He's a savvy businessman.

He may be a "savvy" businessman, but he has yet to prove himself to be even a minor league radio player.

The move to separate the two 93.5 stations is an example of poor radio knowledge; the interference zone created where neither station will be listenable is absolutely huge.

He may be a "savvy" businessman, but he has yet to prove himself to be even a minor league radio player.

The move to separate the two 93.5 stations is an example of poor radio knowledge; the interference zone created where neither station will be listenable is absolutely huge.

It's interesting that you say that because I thought the same thing when he made the split - that he must be sacrificing a lot of potential listeners in the area where the signals interfere and that must reduce the value of both stations. But I figured that he owned the stations and as a radio insider he knew more about radio than I, and that the two stations must generate enough local income in their now separate markets to overcome the loss of potential listeners, otherwise he wouldn't do it.

Hopefully they'll return the station to it's roots.

Were there any audience growth to be obtained from going in a rhythmic direction, the folks at Emmis would have done it. They are believers in audience feedback and research, and the team headed by Rick Cummings is very skilled.

The simple fact is that a second station came into a market segment and fragmented the audience so that neither station averages much more than a 3 share while in the pre-Real Radio year, Power was in the 4's.

It's interesting that you say that because I thought the same thing when he made the split - that he must be sacrificing a lot of potential listeners in the area where the signals interfere and that must reduce the value of both stations. But I figured that he owned the stations and as a radio insider he knew more about radio than I, and that the two stations must generate enough local income in their now separate markets to overcome the loss of potential listeners, otherwise he wouldn't do it.

About two-thirds of the San Gabriel Valley is wiped out now. KDEY is located in that Ontario to Rialto swatch of San Bernardino County that is neither in the LA nor the IE ratings areas, so there is not much to support it.

KDAY, in Jan-Feb-Mar, averaged 44th in the IE book. It did not show in the LA book. KDAY is now billing about 15% less than when it was purchased.

The amazing thing is that the two 93.5 signals were sold by SBS in 2004 for $120,000,000.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom