• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1080 KRLD Releases Charley Jones, Overnight Host

Gregg.

Star Participant
Tom Taylor quotes the Fort Worth Star-Telegram as saying Jones is out, along with three other employees at CBS-owned KRLD 1080. He had been doing a show called "Texas Overnight" heard Midnight to 4am weeknights with repeats on weekend overnights. I assume a few other stations in Texas carried the show. Interesting that a few months ago, CBS also discontinued "America Overnight" on KMOX St. Louis, simulcast on KDKA Pittsburgh and WCCO Minneapolis. I guess doing a local overnight talk show is too expensive.

Jones is still on the program schedule on the KRLD website.

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/krld-amfm-program-guide/

All the other CBS All-News stations run continuous news, even overnight, except for KRLD and WBZ Boston. Do you think KRLD would start doing All-News overnight? Or is that too expensive, especially as CBS Radio begins to get ready for the Entercom take-over? Interesting that a few months ago, CBS also discontinued "America Overnight" on KMOX St. Louis, simulcast on KDKA Pittsburgh and WCCO Minneapolis. I guess doing a local overnight talk show is too expensive, except for WBZ.

I have been listening to Jones for many years..Overnights wont be the same without him. He'll probably land at wbap or somewhere locally. The question is what will krld do for the overnight?

They cant run "the best of Jones overnight" forever. I wonder what entercom (big bad wolf) will do next.

Driving home from work, I tuned in to KRLD and immediately feared the worst. Some guy I never heard of called Joe Pags in Jones's time slot. Gonna be a big hole in the lineup.

WBAP may snap him up once Chris Krok runs his course. His buddy Mike Rhyner will hopefully pull some strings and grease the skids at Cumulus. Won't replace Red Eye Radio, but maybe an 8-12 shift all live?

Seems like for awhile KSKY was grabbing all the legacy hosts that were getting let go from WBAP/KLIF/KRLD.

Regarding Charley Jones and Jon Grayson's (Overnight America) shows ending, I can't say for sure what the reasons were but I do know that Grayson was very liberal and was spewing a lot of his personal agenda, so it was my personal opinion that he was dropped because he was a liberal talk show host and being broadcast on conservative leaning stations. As far as Charley, he's a conservative, so I'm not sure about the reasons for his departure. I'm only 2 hours west of Dallas but KRLD reception on my radio was always iffy but KLIF and WBAP are always strong.

Regarding Charley Jones and Jon Grayson's (Overnight America) shows ending, I can't say for sure what the reasons were but I do know that Grayson was very liberal and was spewing a lot of his personal agenda, so it was my personal opinion that he was dropped because he was a liberal talk show host and being broadcast on conservative leaning stations. As far as Charley, he's a conservative, so I'm not sure about the reasons for his departure. I'm only 2 hours west of Dallas but KRLD reception on my radio was always iffy but KLIF and WBAP are always strong.

$$$.

Whenever I would spin by KMOX at night, it seemed like Grayson would always choose a non-political topic. But hardly ever did his topic captivate me. It's a tough world for overnight talk show hosts, sadly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom