• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"WPLY Media...100.3, Y100...an URBAN ONE radio station!"

They should of changed their name decades ago, to reflect what their all about. That's their deal, buying up mom and pop, Rock and Alternative stations and flipping them to urban, no matter what their ratings reflect. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what their sole purpose in radio is. When you take a high performing format like Y-100 and flip it to urban which never saw the same numbers Y-100 had, proved your not in the business to make money but to serve a particular audience, even if you fail miserably, which their three properties have been doing in this market, since their takeover.

They should of changed their name decades ago, to reflect what their all about. That's their deal, buying up mom and pop, Rock and Alternative stations and flipping them to urban, no matter what their ratings reflect. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what their sole purpose in radio is. When you take a high performing format like Y-100 and flip it to urban which never saw the same numbers Y-100 had, proved your not in the business to make money but to serve a particular audience, even if you fail miserably, which their three properties have been doing in this market, since their takeover.

And yet for some reason, those stations sold. Such is the nature of the free market. They may not make money in the way one person prefers, but they are most certainly in business to make money by serving an audience across their portfolio.

Radio One was founded by a famous and successful Washington, DC, broadcaster, Cathy Hughes. Her initial idea was to have Black ownership of one or more local radio stations. As she became successful as an owner, the company grew to other markets with a guiding principle of serving the African American community profitably.

They have occasionally deviated from the formula, such as Spanish language and then all-news in Houston and when they moved away from their core competency, they did not prosper in most situations.

I looked at WPLY in the two years before it was sold... it was around 15th to 17th, and the only place it showed decently was in teens but even there WBEB (yes, WBEB) beat it! Part of the issue is that 100.3 only puts a 70 dbu over about 80% of the market population, and the other two in the cluster only get 50% and 30% of the market in their primary signal area while iHeart's two stations have 100% market coverage.

And the Radio One cluster bills enough to be profitable, so I don't see them complaining.

That morning team that they had on WPLY sure was nothing special. What a smart move to never market and promote them properly as they surely never became anything special in this market.lol

Always makes good business sense to switch the format of the top billing radio station in your cluster. I love how small business broadcasters are blown out and sued after one missed payment while Iheart and others are billions in debt and have been missing loan payments for decades.

I think I was around 19 when it came on acting like a Top 40 station and calling itself Z100. As history can attest, it wasn't long before the station was called Y100 and they were playing Alternative. It was a very cool station and (at least in my memory) it was quite well regarded. But I don't think it was what anyone would consider a cash machine. After the station was sold, I remember all us geeks being taken aback that Radio One kept operating it as a Rock station for as long as they did. But we all knew that it would become an urban format of some sort as soon as Radio One saw the opportunity. Having a network of urban-formatted media properties was their business model from day one and they never made any bones about that. When The Beat slid down from 103.9, listeners weren't happy but none of us geeks was surprised. What I did find surprising and uncomfortable was how people were angered by Radio One's business model. It wasn't just grief about the loss of Y100, it was bitter vitriol toward this company who had the nerve to buy things and "turn them black." Seeing, hearing, and reading those displays was--and is--depressing.

love how small business broadcasters are blown out and sued after one missed payment while Iheart and others are billions in debt and have been missing loan payments for decades.

The companies you are referring to are not missing payments. They have been renegotiating and kicking the can down the road since the time of the recession and are getting to the point where they can no longer refinance. They have not been missing payments.

As to small market broadcasters, lenders extend certain opportunities to all business loans as forcing a closure or a foreclosure devalues the underlying asset and thus reduces the chance of recovery.

When I did middays there (1983-1991), we were told to de-emphasize the Media part of the ID and stress the Philadelphia, so we rushed it all together as WKSZ MediaPHILADELPHIA's Kiss 100.

When I did middays there (1983-1991), we were told to de-emphasize the Media part of the ID and stress the Philadelphia, so we rushed it all together as WKSZ MediaPHILADELPHIA's Kiss 100.

Just like how Z100 NYC ID's

**really fast** whtznewark NEEEWWWW YOOORRRKKKK CIIIIITTTTYYYYYYY

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom