• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

103.9/97.5 now playing on 97.3 too

Where did the oldies go? Why rebroadcast Hot 97.5/103.9?

One of the most pointless translators I have ever seen since 97.5 covers the West Valley just fine and 103.9 covers the East Valley. I talked about this in another thread here discussing how stupid this situation is: http://www.radiodiscussions.com/showthread.php?701593-Bye-Bye-KMLE/page2

The worst part is, the owner of the 97.3 translator for Hot 97.5/103.9 also owns the station that he is interfering with, KIKO-FM 97.3. Why the owner of KIKO-FM would want to interfere with his own station that is already serving the East Valley is beyond me!

It's probably because KMVA wants to use 97.5/97.3 for the "HOT" brand or whatever it is, and use 103.9 paired with another translator to form a completely different station. That would give them a 4th station in the market...

Why the owner of KIKO-FM would want to interfere with his own station that is already serving the East Valley is beyond me!

He's probably making a lot more money leasing the time on the translator to Hot than he was making off of KIKO-FM. Remember that 95% of listening occurs inside the 60 dBu signal contour, and virtually none of metro Phoenix is in the 60 dBu signal contour of KIKO-FM. Plus, KIKO-FM is an older skewing format. Not a lot of businesses in Phoenix were making beelines for KIKO.

and virtually none of metro Phoenix is in the 60 dBu signal contour of KIKO-FM. Plus, KIKO-FM is an older skewing format. Not a lot of businesses in Phoenix were making beelines for KIKO.

The 54 dbu of KIKO does not quite reach Apache Junction. And there is essentially no populated area of the Phoenix MSA that KIKO covers.

He's probably making a lot more money leasing the time on the translator to Hot than he was making off of KIKO-FM. Remember that 95% of listening occurs inside the 60 dBu signal contour, and virtually none of metro Phoenix is in the 60 dBu signal contour of KIKO-FM. Plus, KIKO-FM is an older skewing format. Not a lot of businesses in Phoenix were making beelines for KIKO.

Yeah, KIKO-FM 97.3 has a hard time penetrating the Phoenix area with a workable signal. Funny enough, though, I am able to get an HD radio signal lock with KIKO-FM from my house in Gilbert and also when I drive around the Far East Valley (East of the Loop 202 in particular). Also, when I was driving home from San Diego yesterday, KIKO-FM's HD signal locked along SR 84 from Interstate 8 to SR 347. KIKO-FM used to have an HD-2 substation, but that seems to be gone now.

I'm assuming KIKO-FM uses their HD signal just to give them that extra power to penetrate the East Valley. Amazing how much distance an analog FM signal can go with that extra boost from HD. I've been able to pick-up the analog signal of Arizona Sports 98.7 KMVP-FM as far away as Lordsburg, New Mexico to the east and Jacumba Hot Springs, CA along Interstate 8 to the west (you rise to about 4,000 feet in elevation there and overlook the vast desert to the east), which is only about 60 miles east of San Diego as the crow files!

Last edited:
I'm assuming KIKO-FM uses their HD signal just to give them that extra power to penetrate the East Valley. Amazing how much distance an analog FM signal can go with that extra boost from HD.

HD does not contribute to the coverage of the analog component of an HD enabled facility. The digital information is in high and low "sidebands" above and below the analog bandwidth and is not additive to the "main" signal. Some folks also believe that HD reduces the coverage of the analog signal (see older threads on the HOU board) and they are equally wrong.

FYI:
1. KIKO-FM doesn't care about their own frequency because they are taking steps to move to 96.5 and upgrade to 100,000 watts. (96.5 KRFM Show Low will move to 98.5)
2. KIKO-FM HD2 signal was running audio for a translator in Globe-Miami at 105.1 which kept the old KIKO AM programming since it moved out of town. Not sure why their HD2 is off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom