• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

FCC investigating Colbert Show

http://www.avclub.com/article/stephen-colbert-tried-out-crazy-alex-jones-recent--255675

http://ew.com/tv/2017/04/26/stephen-colbert-alex-jones-tuck-buckford-chobani/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...ation-to-mock-chobani-apology/article/2623710

Umm I say its Alex Jones that really has an ax to grind to Colbert. I think this FCC threat is really Alex jones not wanting his scandals to be exposed by his Youtube political talk show competitors and comedians like Stephen Colbert and Trevor Noah.

And also I don't think the FCC will waste their time on Colbert.

AFAIC This is the key part of the story:

"Colbert’s remark was bleeped out of the broadcast and his mouth was blurred."

So then it didn't really happen. All of the reports I saw printed the exact quote. Even then, had the exact quote aired, it was not obscene.

But since the actual words didn't air, it never actually happened. People's imaginations running wild.

AFAIC This is the key part of the story:

"Colbert’s remark was bleeped out of the broadcast and his mouth was blurred."

So then it didn't really happen. All of the reports I saw printed the exact quote. Even then, had the exact quote aired, it was not obscene.

But since the actual words didn't air, it never actually happened. People's imaginations running wild.

The uncensored version may have been posted online...but again, that's out of FCC jurisdiction.

FCC isn't going to fine Colbert as they couldn't because of safe harbor. The PTC for some odd reason is happy that it's closed guess they wanted to get attention to themselves.

FCC isn't going to fine Colbert as they couldn't because of safe harbor.

They didn't say it was safe harbor. The fact is the offending phrase was bleeped. Just as the f-bomb was bleeped in prime time during the Billboard Awards. You can't be offended by a bleep.

They didn't say it was safe harbor. The fact is the offending phrase was bleeped. Just as the f-bomb was bleeped in prime time during the Billboard Awards. You can't be offended by a bleep.

I've noticed that basic cable shows - The Daily Show, etc. are getting very artful with the bleeps so you seem to hear the front and end of the offending word. Kind of like when I write f**k. and yes - I know cable isn't under the purview of the FCC, but I notice that they are sustaining certain standards (no frontal nudity, no swear words worse than s**t) - just a little to the left of the broadcast networks - probably because they don't want issues with the viewing public.

I know cable isn't under the purview of the FCC, but I notice that they are sustaining certain standards (no frontal nudity, no swear words worse than s**t) - just a little to the left of the broadcast networks - probably because they don't want issues with the viewing public.

From FCC.gov:

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

From FCC.gov:

Do the FCC's rules apply to cable and satellite programming? In the past, the FCC has enforced the indecency and profanity prohibitions only against conventional broadcast services, not against subscription programming services such as cable and satellite. However, the prohibition against obscene programming applies to subscription programming services at all times.

But not premium cable channels , I assume - which are also technically "subscription." I watched an episode of an HBO series earlier this week that featured multiple minutes of full frontal nudity. It didn't bother me at all, but presumably, somebody could be scandalized by it.

Actually, Patricia Heaton can.

Though her concern was she was actually there to HEAR the filth from Ozzy and Sharon.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom