• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

W261DD 100.1 Springfield listed on FCC List of Silent Stations

While passing through Springfield recently, I received the 100.1 signal fairly clearly.

MarcB, since 100.1 transmits from one of the 1270 sticks (I believe) in West Springfield, it should be fairly listenable up and down the Connecticut River Valley for, say, 10 to 15 miles. I don't imagine you can receive it at your listening post in Southington (?), however.

Nope. Can't get 100.1 down here lol. If I can get anything on 100.1 (which is rare) it's the Talcottville, CT licensed translator of Radio Avivamiento a Spanish religious station that "uses" WSGG in Norfolk as their parent station, but Radio Avivamiento is based in Hartford. (They started as a pirate on 97.1 in Hartford). Now 97.1 is a legit translator licensed to Bolton for Bomba-FM, Full Power Radio's Spanish CHR station based out of WMRQ HD2.

I used to be able to get 1270 down here, but now it barely comes in. Don't know what happened.

And speaking of BOMBA I was surprised to learn they got rid of local programming on their Springfield station and now simulcast BOMBA Connecticut. They used to have separate programming. The hourly Legal ID does not mention the 104.5 translator of 1490-AM, but part of the legal ID of BOMBA does an illegal ID for 1490. "WSPR 1490 AM in Springfield".

I used to be able to get 1270 down here, but now it barely comes in. Don't know what happened.

That's odd. I wonder whether 1270 is transmitting its nocturnal pattern by day. Have you noticed any change with the other Springfield-area AMs (namely, WHYN and WNNZ)?

No changes in the reception of any other station. The stock radio in the 2010 Honda Civic has excellent AM reception. Much better than the car radio in the 2006 Chevy Malibu, which was the car my Mom had until 2014. The AM radio in the Malibu was junk. Every AM station had static. From 50,000 watt WTIC 1080 to local Southington based WNTY 990 (which at that time was Spanish CHR and simulcast WSPR then on 1270). And forget out lower watt AM stations. 1150 out of Middletown, Connecticut couldn't even pick that up at all. Nothing but static.

Obviously being in Southington, normally we wouldn't care about picking up 1270 for Kool Radio since it's on 990/96.1 here, but on Sunday Mornings they air Italian programming followed by a Lutheran Church Service. We would turn on 1270 when we were out running errands.

The AM radio in the Malibu was junk. Every AM station had static. From 50,000 watt WTIC 1080 to local Southington based WNTY 990.

I've always found WTIC to have one of the worst 50 kW omnidirectional daytime signals I've heard. Apparently, 'TIC once investigated moving its transmitter down from Avon Mountain, but a number of inhibiting factors got in the way of pursuing that idea. Imagine the signal improvement if 1080's towers were relocated to the banks of the Connecticut River around, say, Wethersfield.

In any case, returning to the main point of this thread, here's the FCC info about W261DD: http://www.fccinfo.com/.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom